Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Specific question about querying...

Hello. I was wondering if anyone might be kind enough to give me some advice.

First thing: I am not WGA. I have no agent/manager/etc.

I recently wrote the first 13 episodes of a show (30 minute drama) that was produced entirely in the state of Arizona. The show is currently airing here on the local affiliate and was just recently purchased to be aired in 120 other markets.

I only WROTE the show. I did not direct/produce/etc. However, in spite of the quality of WRITING, the OVERALL quality level of the show is poor. Bad direction, bad acting, bad editing, etc. I am very disappointed with it. It looks amateur. But that is nothing new in this business.

My question is this: I have finished a different pilot script recently and want to start sending query letters. In the letter, I am tempted to list the recently produced show (it achieved a .5 rating in the local market, beating out established cable shows in its time slot - locally), but part of me is afraid that if anyone ever saw it, they would throw my script out the window without ever reading it. The show looks THAT BAD.
    Is there any chance that it will come back to bite me if I list this show as part of my resume? I am not sure what to do.

Thanks for any help.

Re: Specific question about querying...

This might be a good question for David Steinberg in the Hollywhopped
    column. Since this is your first post, I'm assuming you may not be aware
    of it... just go to the main page and the "Hollywhopped" section is right
    under "Forums" on the list.

David is a pro with an accomplished resume. His bio is linked at the bottom
    of the page.

To make it easy, just go here:

http://www.donedealpro.com/members/hollywhooped.aspx

Comment

You are a produced writer - that puts you ahead of most. Everybody knows things get screwed up along the way.

- Bill
      Free Script Tips:
      http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

I agree with wcmartell.

It is very difficult to become a produced writer. You have proven that your writing is good enough for someone to risk their money and time on. That puts you head and shoulders above most people approaching agents and producers.

Everyone in this business understands that the writer has no control over the final product. The fact that you were paid and the scripts were produced is all that matters.

I think it would be a huge mistake to not mention your series.

Comment

Yeah

And don't apologize for it either (as in - The show sucks but I did all the writing).

Bot
          Since I sensed a sudden lack of appreciation for my presence, I hopped out of the Jumpy-jump, snatched my glow-stick from the fridge and galloped away on the Rent-A-Pony. - Stolen from Jcorona

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. I really appreciate it.

-SF

Comment

Umm...not quite so fast.

How bad is bad? If we're talking cable-access bad, trust me, you'll be doing yourself a huge favor by not claiming it as some kind of "credit".

We had a client who thought his produced credit was the bomb. Well, it was, but in all the wrong ways. He insisted on using it as a calling card for some very big opportunities.

Today he's no longer a client. In fact, last we heard he's back at some insurance company writing web copy for them.

Comment

Working...
              X