No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Godzilla 2014 ( Teaser Trailer )

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00064726.html
    Last edited by Bennett; 10-08-2013, 04:57 PM. Reason: Old link was dead, updated with new link.

Re: Godzilla 2014 ( Teaser Trailer )

Looks amazing. Great use of mood and imagery. Looks very adult and not a PG-13 flick with comedy sidekicks. But of course it will be. And the trailers for Man of Steel and Evil Dead were also mightily impressive - far more impressive than the films they advertised.
    M.A.G.A.

Comment

That looks great. I hope it lives up to the teaser.

Comment

When you actually see 'zilla in the teaser, he looks a lot like the one from the 'Nineties remake. That said, there's nowhere to go but UP with this franchise, after the previous train wreck.

Comment

I like Gareth Edwards and thought Monsters was quite the feat given the budget (and hopefully not because of it). The trick with Godzilla will be not to lose that approach.

Comment

Sue me, but I liked the other Hollywood version.

Oh, that link didn't work.
            Cufk, Tish, Sips.

Comment

We won't sue you. Just pity you.
              M.A.G.A.

Comment

Sue me, pity me, burn me like a witch: but do we really need another incarnation of ****ing Godzilla?

Are we really that bereft of ideas and inspiration? At best I guess the toy will help sell a few more million Big Macs!
                I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Southern_land View Post
                  At best I guess the toy will help sell a few more million Big Macs!
                  It's not about need - it's about profit projections.

And guess what?
                  You just highlighted a huge potential revenue.
                  Cufk, Tish, Sips.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern_land View Post
                    Sue me, pity me, burn me like a witch: but do we really need another incarnation of ****ing Godzilla?
                    Let's face it, they've never done a good one. Noy exactly unnecessary as most reboots are.
                    M.A.G.A.

Comment

Caught the last 10 min. of the 90's version a few nights ago. I think the real downfall was it was just a giant lizard monster movie, had nothing to do with the source material.

In the originals, Godzilla was a "good guy", always protecting humanity (mostly) from the "bad" monsters. In the 90's version Godzilla is the bad guy, & (spoilers) ends up dead at the end. They totally abandoned any Godzilla lore. Not a Godzilla movie by any stretch of imagination.

I think the reason Godzilla became popular was he was a unique protagonist, and the reason the 90's film failed is they failed to engage the audience on that level, and instead chose to make just another monster movie with the humans as protagonists, which we've all seen before, ad nauseam.
                      12 Angry Men is proof that all you need is a bunch of good actors, good characters, clear motivations and a table. -- Ben Odgren; Go into the Story

Comment

Originally posted by Bennett View Post
                        Unfortunately I think the link is dead.
                        INT. DR. GONZO'S HOTEL ROOM - NIGHT

A glass of BOURBON in one hand and a COMPUTER MOUSE in the other,
                        Dr. Gonzo contemplates getting off the message board and back to his script.

Comment

Originally posted by dangerouscreenwriter View Post
                          In the originals, Godzilla was a "good guy", always protecting humanity (mostly) from the "bad" monsters.
                          Huh? And you've sat and watched the entire original film or just seen the suplexes and laser beams from later instalments whilst drunk?

In the 1954 original, Godzilla rises from the mess of America's nuclear devastation to wreak havoc on Japan. It's probably the best of them all if you're looking for a real film and not the crazy, cult-junk that popped up in the '70s and '80s.

In the 1955 sequel, we were introduced to the concept of giant monsters fighting one another in the backdrop of modern cities - quite excellent, really, considering how two beasts out for blood destroy humanity without thought, as they fight one another for survival.
                          Godzilla certainly wasn't protecting humanity in this one, just fighting for kicks.

I could go on, but needless to say, the army promptly destroyed Godzilla once it had defeated the foe of the film, often for some radio controller to shout exuberantly, "He's melting!"

Okay, I apologise now for being harsh, since Godzilla did kind of defend Tokyo in one film from a space ship which turned into a giant monster, circa, 1995-2000 (forgotten the title), and, in what is probably THE WORST Godzilla film of them all, Godzilla: Final Wars, he was an out-and-out hero, but to claim that the original source material was a giant lizard defending mankind from other monsters isn't on.

Oh, and most of the films were indeed structured around human characters - these provided the ludicrous "dramatic elements".

So, again: the 1998(?) Hollywood version was a very enjoyable film, true to the original, but sadly, with nothing to say, nowhere near as good.
                          Cufk, Tish, Sips.

Comment

I have the same dilemma with this that I have with Nolan's Batman films. The Dark Knight Trilogy is exceptionally well-done but I still get that little inner voice saying, "It's just a Batman movie, so you can't take it seriously."

The question is, can inherently ridiculous concepts ever be taken seriously as drama? What if, instead of making three Batman films, Nolan had instead taken the idea of an orphan who turns himself into a symbol of justice and crafted an entirely original trilogy with his own characters? Wouldn't that have been even better than what we got?

Godzilla is going to be even tougher. The 1954 films works because it's such a simple concept that works purely on a symbolic level. That's going to be hard for the filmmakers to replicate; kind of like trying to get lightning to strike twice. What worked six decades ago won't necessarily work today.

Comment

I liked RODAN better than any and all of the GODZILLA flicks.

But, alas, there was no sequel to RODAN, hence no franchise.... *

* No sooner said than corrected (courtesy of wikipedia... )

"Rodan (turns) into Fire Rodan in the Heisei film Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II. Rodan's skin turned brick red. In the Showa and Millennium eras Rodan stood as tall as Godzilla but in the Heisei era Rodan and Fire Rodan stood only about 2/3 as tall as Godzilla. In the Heisei era the prominent rows of spines on his belly are replaced with overlapping ridges of bone and he has three horns on his head instead of two (the outer two curve outwards and the center curves up) as well as a wider beak and a more predatory face. Millennium Rodan looked more like the Showa version as it retained the Heisei era ridges of bone on its chest. It also had only two horns again, and its color is similar to the Showa version...."

(cont)

"Rodan has layers of spikes on its chest that can be used as a weapon. In the film Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster Rodan slammed into Godzilla at full speed and its chest colliding with Godzilla's head to send the behemoth crashing to the ground. Rodan was once one of the fastest known Kaiju but now unfortunately[citation needed] he is one of the slowest flying Kaiju in the series, flying at mach 1.5."

Impressive. So at least they incorporated the giant supersonic pteranodon into GODZILLA sequels (but never gave it a sequel of its own... ).
                              Last edited by Max Otto Schrenck; 10-08-2013, 02:22 PM. Reason: i was misnaken

Comment

Working...
                              X