Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2016, 02:42 AM   #1
Jimmy
User

Default Getting read by The Green Room - How excited should I be?

So yeah, little background... recently finished my second feature spec. Been writing "seriously" for 3-4 years but no rep and been in LA for 2 years so far. Shopped my first feature around a bit, and had it read by an old former industry pro and it needed major rewrites, so I started a new project instead.

Yesterday I cold-called The Green Room. Got an assistant to give me an email to which I queried and 7 minutes later they sent back, "Sounds very interesting, one of our managers would like to see the script." I sent it over and got a quick, "Awesome, thanks! Talk soon!" in reply.

Now I know that it could very well take weeks for them to get back to me, if they ever do, but how rare is an occurrence like this with a top 100 imdb company?

Also I assume that if they do get in contact with me, one of their first questions will be about my other work. I don't really want to show them my first feature or any of the practice shorts I wrote, but I am in the process of developing a sequel to the script in question, could that still be enough to land a manager or a deal?

Love this community, it's a great resource. Thanks for any input in advance.
Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 12:28 PM   #2
surftatboy

Default Re: Getting read by The Green Room - How excited should I be?

Don't mention the sequel... EVER! [looks green and presumptuous]

Think of worlds you want to explore in the meantime. Don't mention old crap, mention new ideas. If you don't have any, think of some. At the very least 'worlds'. Make up bullshit that sounds interesting if you have to [meaning ideas] that's what writers do, make up stuff.

Show some range.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:04 PM   #3
Jimmy
User

Thanks for your input, sir.

I understand the principle behind not discussing sequel, and my problem is that it's my best fully formed narrative to work with at the moment.

I have pages and pages of "concepts" saved, but nothing outlined or written to the extent that the sequel is already (fully outlined and 10 pages in).

Would your advice be to shelf the sequel and develop something else until I get feedback on the first script?
Old 05-07-2016, 05:07 PM   #4
finalact4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
Thanks for your input, sir.

I understand the principle behind not discussing sequel, and my problem is that it's my best fully formed narrative to work with at the moment.

I have pages and pages of "concepts" saved, but nothing outlined or written to the extent that the sequel is already (fully outlined and 10 pages in).

Would your advice be to shelf the sequel and develop something else until I get feedback on the first script?
I read THE EDEN PROJECT, a 2014 Black List script that after The End was a statement that said it was conceived as a trilogy and it provided two loglines for the other two installments. It sold to Sony for $750.0k

In this current landscape, with all the IP franchises, it doesn't hurt to have a killer story that can go on beyond the one story-- keep in mind I'm a nobody, but am certainly thinking of my career in terms of an overall strategy.

I had a franchise piece that went out last fall and it was conceived the same way. The story is definitely written in a way that you know there is another story, but the key is that the spec has to also stand on its own. It has to be a complete story that doesn't depend on additional stories to be complete, because if it fails at the box office, there will never be another one.

When my manager sent it in, he let everyone know up front that it was written as franchise piece. It's obvious at the end that it sets up a new story.

My new spec is a big sci-fi epic where the story goes on both before and after this one story. Again, it's still a stand alone piece, it has to be, but it was written as a franchise piece. It's clear to the reader that there's more to come.

In both cases, I never wrote the "next" installment. No reason to waste time on that until someone wants to buy the IP and pay me to write it, but I know where the story goes. It's better to move on to the next idea, IMO.

Keep working on new ideas and get to writing the next one. The worst feeling in the world is that they love your writing and want to see whatever you have and then you have to say, well we're working on it. Sucks big time.

Seriously, you can't write fast enough.

Best of luck to you.
Old 05-07-2016, 06:28 PM   #5
Jimmy
User

Awesome stuff finalact. That's what I needed to hear.

The script in question is a big budget high concept action/comedy political thriller with a male dominated cast, so I think to show my range I'll develop my Kill Bill/city of God/taxi driver idea about two sisters growing up in poverty and the paths they choose.

Can a film set in Japan that's not Godzilla have real commercial appeal in America?

Last edited by Jimmy : 05-07-2016 at 10:31 PM.
Old 05-21-2016, 01:25 AM   #6
Jimmy
User

Update...

Got a reply from one of their managers, saying they're not the best fit for me at the moment, but to keep them updated with any successes I have.

He also threw in, "I mean that. I’m sure you’re going to become a success and I’ll be kicking myself for passing now."

I say I'll re-query if my Black List read gets 7 or higher.

He says cool, and I can send it directly to him.

Cold query throws the alley oop, now the BL needs to finish it.
Old 05-21-2016, 10:55 AM   #7
nativeson

That could also be an open door to submissions of *other material* down the road
nativeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 03:25 AM   #8
mlongton

Anybody know who the lit managers at The Green Room may be? From the client lists they seem to be mostly talent.
mlongton is offline   Reply With Quote