Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Trek Beyond

I liked the first reboot a lot, and the second one was OK, but I thought this one STUNK.

The script was full of jokes that weren't funny, bumper-sticker pronouncements, and implausible plot devices (a functioning motorcycle in the mess hall?). The plot logic was "WTF?" and overall it felt like an early draft by an inexperienced writer (which of course it wasn't).

Almost all the (uninteresting) secondary characters were women, which was nice, but not nearly enough to overcome the utter nothingness of this movie.
    "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Re: Star Trek Beyond

It was entertaining, but utterly forgettable. Like Nemesis, it tried to be cool, but it did it the wrong way. Star Trek can't be cool by inserting motorcycle chases and using Beastie Boys music to blast alien snub fighters. It does it by using great story and characters, which Beyond doesn't have.

That alien white chick had such potential. She could have been the next Katniss. But instead of spending 10 more minutes developing her character, they blew the screen time on cgi action. Which is precisely why so many blockbusters (every Transformers) will always be forgettable.

On a sheer stupidity note: Yorktown Station must have had a mass of literally a million starships, yet taken only a few decades to build. You'd think with that engineering / material capacity, Starfleet would have 500,000 starships in its fleet. Instead, they have around 50, with Earth undefended during every critical moment (save for the Enterprise).

This is why Star Trek is dying (the film lost money and is -200 mill compared to Into Darkness). Paramount's trying to twist it into something it's not. In the end, it just comes off as a Guardians clone.
    I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Originally posted by FoxHound View Post
      Paramount's trying to twist it into something it's not. In the end, it just comes off as a Guardians clone.
      I think that's an insult to Guardians, which had wit, heart, and humor -- all of which are missing from Beyond.
      "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

I loved the first reboot. Into Darkness was horrible. Beyond was just incredibly boring. It had no propulsion, no suspense. It was just stuff happening, people huffing and puffing and being in a hurry for no reason. I just was not invested at all.
        It got two major problems:
        We need to care about the characters, that's not established by cracking jokes and being in difficult situations. Even if we know the characters from previous movies, their lives and situations are different now. We need both "save the cat" moments and moments where the characters are experiencing undeserved pain. As the movie is, these guys are just about perfect in every way. Why would we root for that?
        2. The scenes need momentum. Either by "turning" from a low point to a high point(or vice versa) or/and by suspense (the officer don't know about the corpse in the trunk).

I'm baffled that professional filmmakers don't even get the most basic things right. The movie was just noise.

Usually we have some antagonism between the characters, like between Kirk and Spock in the first one. There's nothing like that here. I kind of get that because they wanted to show them working as a team this time. But there's a good oppurtunity to demonstrate just how well they function by showing different personalities and opinions, yet respect and that they are willing to go through hell for each other regardless. If they are a good team, everyone would for instance feel bad if Kirk was shown being humiliated. we could see how that affects each of the crew and how they choose to show that would do alot for audience sympathy very easily.
        Last edited by Bananos; 09-07-2016, 04:33 AM.

Comment

That's what tends to happen when you let a comedian like Pegg write the script.

Pegg should really stay in comedies. He crossing over into other genres are making them light-hearted fare which is not what some movies should be about. Mission Impossible, for one.

Also, the first Star Trek reboot was good maybe because he was only introduced in the second half of the movie. The first half of the movie, especially the opening scene, was emotional and serious. Into Darkness had an average, cliche story like it was made for TV.

And I see he's going to be in the next Star Wars Movie? Not that I care... Star Wars is dead to me. I disliked the prequels nor the latest reboot.

Comment

It's funny, a great sci-fi author, one of the greatest really, Stanislaw Lem once wrote:

"We have no need of other worlds. We need mirrors. We don't know what to do with other worlds. A single world, our own, suffices us; but we can't accept it for what it is."

That sums up NuTrek, three films that are devoid of any actual science-fiction. What does Pegg know about science-fiction? Nothing.

Three films that fear showing anything other than a soap-opera drama in space.

They never really go anywhere meaningful, they never really experience anything alien, they mainly just slum around on Earth or in the case of this film, where they *finally* leave Earth, they go to a Federation base and a generic planet, where the antagonist is, of course, a human.

It's just totally pointless. A five year mission to do nothing.

Oh, and the hot blonde was missing, guess she was cut and Sulu made gay to keep the SJWs happy.

I can understand why Lem found Star Trek 'incredibly stupid' and wouldn't be surprised if Pegg has killed the franchise with this film.

I think Star Trek and Star Wars suffer from the same problem today namely, neither franchise, despite it's glamorous exterior, has anything at all to say.

On the plus side, I did like the VFX in parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Jack Sparrow View Post
              That sums up NuTrek, three films that are devoid of any actual science-fiction. What does Pegg know about science-fiction? Nothing.

Three films that fear showing anything other than a soap-opera drama in space.
              So true. There's no purpose or grand theme to any of the past two films. They're just action movies in space. Same with Force Awakens. There's no real story to tell. District 9, even Avatar had a story to tell. What does Beyond wanna say? Don't abandon your war heroes cause they might come back and blow you up in a hundred and fifty years?"

Though flawed, look at the ST:TNG movies. The first had a strong theme about the nature of time / desire to be young forever, the second had a Moby Dick-like revenge theme, the third was about preserving the magic of nature (strangely similar movie to Avatar if you think about it). And non surprisingly, the fourth had no theme whatsoever and literally killed the series.
              I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Working...
              X