Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Your favorite Halloween/scary film

Nicole Kidman put in a fine turn of play in The Others. For me, that was an excellently wrought (and more recent) horror film. Upon first viewing, I didn't see the impending twist at the story's conclusion.
    “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by purplenurple View Post
      I'm one of the few that was not a fan of "The Babadook." It kind of had me until the 3rd act, then I thought it got silly. "The Babadook" is different for sure and I wanted to like it.

My favorite new horror film was "The Witch." No jump scares. Just atmosphere. I saw it twice this year. For whatever reason I forgot to mention it. For people who like classic horror from the 40's this is within that realm but takes it to a new modern level. Can't say enough about it.
      I too am one of the few who did not care much for the babadook. Friends of ours told us about it and raved about how awesome it was. My spouse loved it, me not so much.

The Witch is actually pretty good. Only saw it once, but want to watch it again. I have this thing where I like to watch a good film a second time with the subtitles on. You will be surprised how much dialog and background things you miss without the subtitles.

Comment

The 2nd time I watched "The Witch" I saw it with the commentary on and was surprised to find out it was made for 1 million even. They put a lot of work into that atmosphere for little money. Inspiring.

Comment

For Halloween:

**Lost Boys**

Ghostbusters

Night of the Living Dead

Scream

The Faculty

(I don't consider From Dusk Till Dawn a Halloween movie for some reason - same for Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland. They're year-round fun movies. It's funny how some movies are "Halloween" and some are "scary movies" and some are truly in the horror category...)

This year on Halloween we went ahead with The Great Pumpkin and some old Scooby Doos. It was a school night.

Favorite scary/horror:
          The Omen
          Rosemary's Baby
          Last edited by cvolante; 11-04-2016, 04:18 AM.

Comment

I saw part of "Wolfen" a few days ago. It's a critically well received early 80's horror film about wolves in NYC that come out after dark due to being unleashed in a construction accident ( they live underground I guess). Not werewolves. Real wolves. I have not seen this film in a long long time. Probably 30 years. I remember seeing it with my dad on cable and he liked it. Now in 2016, long story short I disliked it. Doesn't hold up. You get a ton of footage of people being stalked through infra-red (wolf vision) that takes forever. I stopped watching it after 20 or so minutes.

I know we're supposed to put favorite or even likes in this thread but I wanted to mention seeing this movie because it happens a lot with things you remember one way. When I was growing up I liked "Howling" more then "American Werewolf In London." Now that's completely reversed. Still like "The Howling" but I like the other movie more as a story.

One classic no one mentions is "Creature From The Black Lagoon." I think that is a good film. Hadn't seen it in a long time so I saw it one Halloween two or three years ago and not only liked it still but felt it was Michael Crichtonish in it's scientific attempts to explain the creature and even how/why to set traps. More thoughtful dialogue then usual in a standard 50's horror movie as the genre was slipping into camp.

Comment

I LOVE Creature a from the Black Lagoon, but my family doesn't so I can't consider it a "Halloween" movie. I love everything Jack Arnold.

Comment

Veering off Halloween and maybe even scary but still under horror genre (some people say sci-fi)... I like "Altered States." I don't LOVE it. I like it. It has a mood to it. Also liked the score to it. There's a paranoia to the score that only "The Shining" matches. Not brought up much but I think it bares bringing up at least in my mind.

For those of you who do not know it it's a movie about a guy who explores the reaches of his consciousness and time itself and as a byproduct regresses into a primitive human a few times. It's like a werewolf movie but instead the person becomes a realistic cave man. Not big into the ending but up until that point I enjoy the journey and atmosphere.

Comment

Originally posted by purplenurple View Post
                  Veering off Halloween and maybe even scary but still under horror genre (some people say sci-fi)... I like "Altered States." I don't LOVE it. I like it. It has a mood to it. Also liked the score to it. There's a paranoia to the score that only "The Shining" matches. Not brought up much but I think it bares bringing up at least in my mind.

For those of you who do not know it it's a movie about a guy who explores the reaches of his consciousness and time itself and as a byproduct regresses into a primitive human a few times. It's like a werewolf movie but instead the person becomes a realistic cave man. Not big into the ending but up until that point I enjoy the journey and atmosphere.
                  I liked Altered States as well. (we have it on dvd). My favorite scene is where he turns into dust and blows away. I agree the music is very atmospheric. It's one of my hubby's fav films.

Speaking of werewolf movies, heard John Landis's son is remaking American Werewolf in London. Here's hoping, but not expecting much. Nothing against the younger Landis, I thought he did pretty good with Chronicle and American Ultra, it's just please people stop remaking things that worked well the first time. Leave it alone.... (I am one of the few girls out there that really loves sci-fi and horror films) I get pretty worried when people mess with the classics. We really need new things, not rehashing of old stories. I really wish production companies would take a chance and do new stuff instead of remaking everything. But I know they just think if it did great the first time around it'll do great this time and that isn't always the case.
                  I would even accept an old character put into a new situation (like the predator thing mentioned in a different thread), but just to do the same(ish) story again and again gets old and tired. Ya know?

Comment

I remember reading a quote from a NY theater critic years ago who said something like, "I envy anyone who's going to watch Romeo and Juliet for the first time."

That's a fascinating line. No matter how many times I watch enjoy The Godfather or Wedding Crashers... it'll never be the same as the first time. I think that's more true for horror movies since we know when the scares are coming and they're therefore not nearly as scary as your first view.

Keeping that theme in mind, the horror/Halloween movies I wish I could watch for the first time again:

Halloween
                    Friday the 13th
                    Psycho
                    The Exorcist
                    Jaws 1 and 2
                    Alien and Aliens
                    Paranormal Activity 1
                    The Howling
                    Dracula
                    Frankenstein
                    Rec
                    Godzilla (the original)
                    The Thing
                    Silence of the Lambs
                    Devil's Rejects
                    House of a Thousand Corpses
                    Wolf Creek
                    Scream

and several Korean and Japanese horror films from the early 2000s like the the original Grudge and The Ring.

Fortunately, there are several cheesy 80s horror flicks that I haven't seen since my childhood and will likely serve the same purpose next time I view them, like Funhouse and The House on Sorority Row, though I suspect these movies will still be more cheesy than scary.

Comment

Working...
                    X