Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Agents, Lawyers & Managers
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2009, 02:42 AM   #21
ScreenQuery
User

Default Re: CAA Submissions Department

CAA is almost an impenetrable fortress when it comes to queries and spec material from outside writers. Good luck to both of you.
Old 04-04-2009, 03:04 AM   #22
DBense18
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landis26 View Post
A friend who knows the agent at CAA pitched him the script and asked if he'd like to see the material. The agent said yes and I sent the script to him.
Say if that agent likes your script and can "visionize" talent for specific roles. That talent is also repped by CAA. Do you think agents yell down the hall, or get on the phone to tell another agent, "Hey -- this is good script for ___________. You might want to read it." ?

The people I vision in my main roles are at WMA or ICM

Last edited by DBense18 : 04-04-2009 at 03:27 AM.
DBense18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:28 AM   #23
Landis26

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBense18 View Post
Do you think agents yell down the hall, or get on the phone to tell another agent, "Hey -- this is good script for ___________. You might want to read it." ?
Yes.
Landis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 03:01 PM   #24
DBense18
Regular

Good luck to you and your coverage Landis26.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:02 AM   #25
jodeb
User

I have a similar and kind of different situation with CAA. Through one of their repped talent clients, I was able to get my script to his agent. They did send it out for coverage fairly quickly and it came back (I was told *great*) Whether that means recommend or consider, I wasn't told, just told that it was really good.

Problem is, the client is no longer with CAA and his talent agent is not the one who can help me get repped. She wrote me an e-mail, mentioning a name who could help me through the process. He wasn't the proper party and I couldn't get past his assistant.

Now, I am back to the asst of the original talent agent and he is trying to help me in getting repped (at least for that one script) I don't know why it is so difficult since I do have that *great* coverage, which of course I cannot get a copy of, since that is the policy of most if not all companies.

So, I know they *love* my script and I am hanging on like a dog with a bone, while I do other things. I have one write for hire in post production, a few more optioned scripts and one is almost paid up completely, while the producer is trying to attach talent, so it's not like I'm sitting and waiting for CAA, but the whole thing can be frustrating at times.

On Friday, after I spoke to the asst, he requested that I send out the e-mail from *his* boss, the original talent agent (where she wrote to me directly on who would help me get repped)

So, we shall see. My point is, even with coverage that came back (in their words, great) the circle continues. I guess it's up to me to make it happen...someway...somehow.
jodeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:06 AM   #26
NYNEX

I wish you guys the best of luck, but it seems like they are politely dismissing you guys.

It seems like in the last e-mail, the assistant does want to help, but the agents and the agency are simply not interested.

To tell you the truth, having a writer send a script in to your agent in many ways, in and of itself, is a brush off. The agents job is to keep most scripts from reaching their client, especially if no money is attached and/or the script isn't developed (meaning no named producer is involved, etc)

And for whatever weird reason, there are people who can't or who don't much for a writer, but will keep you hanging on.
NYNEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 05:03 AM   #27
jodeb
User

>>>>To tell you the truth, having a writer send a script in to your agent in many ways, in and of itself, is a brush off. >>>

I would agree, but why then send the script out for coverage? This is not Joe Schmo, who has a kid at home do coverage for free OR is it?

I would think they would *pretend* to read your script and say, it's not for them OR the usual *no unsolicited* but to take the time to send it out for coverage, have it come back great and then do nothing about it seems to me that it just hasn't reached the proper party YET.

That's why I said, it's up to me to make sure that *maybe* it gets to a hungry agent who would like a recommended covered script at the CAA office. I do know a pass or brush off when I hear/see one. They don't tell you about the great coverage. In my case, the deal took a delay when the original client left CAA, but they still have plenty of other clients/agents. Nothing to sit around and wait for, just something to keep simmering on the backburner while you cook the *meals* on the front.
jodeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 06:08 AM   #28
DBense18
Regular

If it is a brush off, and nothing happens, then I will focus my efforts elsewhere. If the coverage is at least bit good and finds its way to the Agent for a read, then I'd be happy as a "pig in ****". The script has a lot of tone similar to OUTBREAK, and the agent reps Wolfgang Petersen -- so he's familiar with the type of concept and would know how to move forward with it -- if it is not a brush off.

Getting a script into CAA while being 5000+ miles away from Hollywood was a challenge itself and I am happy with that. Either way path it decides to go, it's all good.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:06 AM   #29
NYNEX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodeb View Post
>>>>To tell you the truth, having a writer send a script in to your agent in many ways, in and of itself, is a brush off. >>>

I would agree, but why then send the script out for coverage? This is not Joe Schmo, who has a kid at home do coverage for free OR is it?

I would think they would *pretend* to read your script and say, it's not for them OR the usual *no unsolicited* but to take the time to send it out for coverage, have it come back great and then do nothing about it seems to me that it just hasn't reached the proper party YET.
Just because someone gave your script great coverage doesn't mean agents as the agency will want to represent it.

Reading your post, I see nothing at all that indicates that CAA is truly excited about your script. A reader gave it good coverage, and that's all that you have going. Oh, and an assistant is trying to push you.

I think you're hoping it goes further, and don't we all hope for the best? But let's look at the evidence we have. If they were truly interested in you (and DBense) you guys would not be getting this kind of crazy run around.

At a certain point, I would say you need to move on, and let them get back to you.
NYNEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 02:00 AM   #30
DBense18
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNEX View Post
If they were truly interested in you (and DBense) you guys would not be getting this kind of crazy run around. At a certain point, I would say you need to move on, and let them get back to you.
I think the Submissions Department were just following procedure. Everyone thinks I WANT CAA to Rep the screenplay, but that's not the case. If it were, I would have received this email, and that would have been the end of it.

Quote:
Although we appreciate your interest, we have a firm policy of returning all unsolicited material unread. Accordingly, we are forwarding your three e-mails back to you and we have deleted your e-mails from our system.

Your unsolicited submission has not been, and will not be disclosed to any executive or other employee of Creative Artists Agency or any other person. You should be aware that many ideas are generated by our employees and our clients or other sources. To the extent that any projects are generated which contain elements similar to what you submitted, the similarities are purely coincidental.

Thank you for considering Creative Artists Agency. We wish you much luck in your endeavors.
The coverage will come back with a consider. It's be e-mailed through the building. The project will be attached to some CAA talent. And then the screenplay will sell -- All because I was confused that they wanted to throw it in the trash.