Good tips, thanks!
iDV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:50 PM   #12
Todd Karate
Regular

Default Re: Need Agent ASAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilario113 View Post
That is a big problem with agents (the industry referral business) Many managers have agenting backgrounds and handle the contracts of their agent-less clients, so that is something else you might consider, they are usually easier to get in contact with.
Managers cannot legally negotiate contracts. You still need an entertainment attorney.
Todd Karate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:59 PM   #13
JJBones
User

Not saying Todd Karate is wrong... But... I believe the OP is talking about a UK based production etc... etc...

And Todd is referring to the Talent Agencies Act which is a California state law requiring negotiations be performed by a licensed agent or lawyer -- thus preventing managers from doing such.

Who knows how they do it in merry ol'... Maybe someone who's familiar with how things go down in England can chime in.

But I would definitely echo Todd's advice re: getting a lawyer -- that's all you need to do the deal... That's probably the best thing for you right now. You can make it a one of deal or you can retain them -- but you'll have much better luck finding someone expediently who's capable.

I know the OP is looking for an agent to help establish a "career" but finding one on the quick and signing with the first person who steps up to claim 10% of a deal you basically acquired on your own, isn't the best way to find an agent who's really gonna be with you for the long haul.

So think about that before you jump onto anybody's roster in a rushed panic.
JJBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:30 PM   #14
JeffLowell

If someone's funding your movie, they have contacts with managers and agents. Ask them for referrals.
JeffLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:34 PM   #15
Hilario113
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Karate View Post
Managers cannot legally negotiate contracts. You still need an entertainment attorney.
Managers also can't legally seek out employment for their clients. Guess how many still do?
Hilario113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:56 PM   #16
Todd Karate
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilario113 View Post
Managers also can't legally seek out employment for their clients. Guess how many still do?
Really?
Todd Karate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:58 PM   #17
SMLDev
New User

By law, licensed agencies are "a person or corporation who engages in the occupation of procuring, offering, promising, or attempting to procure employment...for an artist or artists." and they are the only ones allowed to do so.

Managers are prohibited from directly negotiating contracts. Maybe some do when dealing with smaller projects and deals but if you're going to step into the ring with a major player it's not going to fly. However, managers can still be involved in the contract negotiations by advising their clients. Regardless of whether you have an agent or manager, having an entertainment lawyer is vital. Agents started in their respective mailrooms, entertainment attorneys have gone to three years of extra school just to prepare for handling contracts and negotiations. They have different skill sets.

I definitely would not advise you to rush off and jump in bed with the first agent who is, as an above poster correctly put it, stepping up to claim 10% of a deal you more or less brokered yourself. Chances are you will be client #60 and until you come up with something else they will forget all about you after they've collected their commission. If the movie is successful, especially as you plan to direct it yourself, a motivated agent will find you and that is the guy you want to be with, not the guy who is thinking about what he can buy with 10% of a project he had 1% to do with.

PM me if you wish and I can give you contact info for my attorney. He's good people.
SMLDev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:36 PM   #18
michaelb

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDV8 View Post
It looks like I'll be penning a deal in the next week with a production company for my script and the director's seat. It's my first feature film and was going to simply use an entertainment lawyer but I'd really prefer an agent.
  • I've got to quickly find an agent that would like to walk into a no sweat deal
  • I'm an American and would prefer to build a relationship with an agent in LA even though this is a UK project
Most agents require months to get to writing samples etc, but I need someone asap. I'm going through the hay stack but was wondering if any of you had some helpful tips or suggestions.
You do not need an agent. You need an entertainment lawyer, that is it. They can fully negotiate the deal. From there, if you have a good lawyer, and once your movie is done, he will help you find an agent.
michaelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:29 AM   #19
NikeeGoddess
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelb View Post
You do not need an agent. You need an entertainment lawyer, that is it. They can fully negotiate the deal. From there, if you have a good lawyer, and once your movie is done, he will help you find an agent.
exactly. trust your entertainment lawyer. he or she went to school for several years and had to pass the bar to be qualified.
once you make your movie then it will be easy to get an agent for future projects.
NikeeGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:53 AM   #20
iDV8
User

Thanks you guys, it makes a lot of sense what you're all saying about jumping the gun looking for an agent. I've got the lawyer lined up to go over the contract. I really appreciate everyone's input, it was very helpful.
iDV8 is offline   Reply With Quote