No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need Agent ASAP

Originally posted by Hilario113 View Post
    Managers also can't legally seek out employment for their clients. Guess how many still do?
    Really?

Comment

By law, licensed agencies are "a person or corporation who engages in the occupation of procuring, offering, promising, or attempting to procure employment...for an artist or artists." and they are the only ones allowed to do so.

Managers are prohibited from directly negotiating contracts. Maybe some do when dealing with smaller projects and deals but if you're going to step into the ring with a major player it's not going to fly. However, managers can still be involved in the contract negotiations by advising their clients. Regardless of whether you have an agent or manager, having an entertainment lawyer is vital. Agents started in their respective mailrooms, entertainment attorneys have gone to three years of extra school just to prepare for handling contracts and negotiations. They have different skill sets.

I definitely would not advise you to rush off and jump in bed with the first agent who is, as an above poster correctly put it, stepping up to claim 10% of a deal you more or less brokered yourself. Chances are you will be client #60 and until you come up with something else they will forget all about you after they've collected their commission. If the movie is successful, especially as you plan to direct it yourself, a motivated agent will find you and that is the guy you want to be with, not the guy who is thinking about what he can buy with 10% of a project he had 1% to do with.

PM me if you wish and I can give you contact info for my attorney. He's good people.

Comment

Originally posted by iDV8 View Post
        It looks like I'll be penning a deal in the next week with a production company for my script and the director's seat. It's my first feature film and was going to simply use an entertainment lawyer but I'd really prefer an agent.
        • I've got to quickly find an agent that would like to walk into a no sweat deal
        • I'm an American and would prefer to build a relationship with an agent in LA even though this is a UK project
        Most agents require months to get to writing samples etc, but I need someone asap. I'm going through the hay stack but was wondering if any of you had some helpful tips or suggestions.
        You do not need an agent. You need an entertainment lawyer, that is it. They can fully negotiate the deal. From there, if you have a good lawyer, and once your movie is done, he will help you find an agent.
        twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

Originally posted by michaelb View Post
          You do not need an agent. You need an entertainment lawyer, that is it. They can fully negotiate the deal. From there, if you have a good lawyer, and once your movie is done, he will help you find an agent.
          exactly. trust your entertainment lawyer. he or she went to school for several years and had to pass the bar to be qualified.
          once you make your movie then it will be easy to get an agent for future projects.

Comment

Thanks you guys, it makes a lot of sense what you're all saying about jumping the gun looking for an agent. I've got the lawyer lined up to go over the contract. I really appreciate everyone's input, it was very helpful.

Comment

Working...
            X