Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Loading

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Agents, Lawyers & Managers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2011, 10:37 AM   #11
killertv
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 568
Default Re: How to Query with a Spec for an Existing 1/2 hour Comedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dax3d View Post
I'm not sure if I explained correctly, but I don't think Greg Berlanti comes to Sony Imageworks, but if he does it's in a whole other section for clients. I've never run into writers, directors (maybe once in a while when they come here to review work onsite), or any of the creative types. For example, working on Tron Legacy we were working offsite in a warehouse, so we're just removed from that part of the process, which is the part I'd like to get more exposure to.
It's tough, but everyone's six degrees from Kevin Bacon. You don't need to run into the creatives so much as use your work network to help you find a position closer to the part you want exposure to. The creatives' assistants are who you should be getting drinks with

Last edited by killertv : 04-06-2011 at 11:55 AM.
killertv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:50 PM   #12
dax3d
User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Santa Monica
Posts: 41
Default Re: How to Query with a Spec for an Existing 1/2 hour Comedy

Thanks, I saw your last post too (didn't get a chance to reply)

You bring up great points, but I'm not sure I have any access to anyone remotely connected. For example, at the facility I'm at now, I don't actually know my boss. I have two unofficial bosses I report to, if that gives any idea of the food chain here haha. But, I will certainly try looking around more!

If this gives any idea of what it's like on this side, I mention screenwriting and people give me a look like I'm a crazy person I'll keep an eye out though!
dax3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:54 PM   #13
killertv
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 568
Default Re: How to Query with a Spec for an Existing 1/2 hour Comedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dax3d View Post
Thanks, I saw your last post too (didn't get a chance to reply)

You bring up great points, but I'm not sure I have any access to anyone remotely connected. For example, at the facility I'm at now, I don't actually know my boss. I have two unofficial bosses I report to, if that gives any idea of the food chain here haha. But, I will certainly try looking around more!

If this gives any idea of what it's like on this side, I mention screenwriting and people give me a look like I'm a crazy person I'll keep an eye out though!
Haha damn dude... there's an organization called JHRTS which has meet-ups and panels - there are a lot of studio/agency assistants who could possibly help out. PM for more info
killertv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:56 PM   #14
dax3d
User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Santa Monica
Posts: 41
Default Re: How to Query with a Spec for an Existing 1/2 hour Comedy

Oh I've heard of that, will do! Thanks
dax3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:53 AM   #15
qualitycontrol
Member
 
qualitycontrol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 1,316
Default Re: How to Query with a Spec for an Existing 1/2 hour Comedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by killertv View Post
I don't think he's saying it matters to have a job in order to get read, he's saying that if you have a job you can meet people who might be willing to read your script.

What was your TV experience? I'm surprised that in seven years you didn't find any doors opening... there must have been one that opened to let you in to get a job.
Late Night with Conan O'Brien, CBS, MTV, Lifetime Television. Producing for the last one there, but marketing type stuff. Being in NY, it probably doesn't matter, had PA'ed and done things on shoots but the general rule of thumb is if you try to get people to read your scripts, try looking for a new job.
qualitycontrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:00 PM   #16
killertv
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 568
Default Re: How to Query with a Spec for an Existing 1/2 hour Comedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by qualitycontrol View Post
Late Night with Conan O'Brien, CBS, MTV, Lifetime Television. Producing for the last one there, but marketing type stuff. Being in NY, it probably doesn't matter, had PA'ed and done things on shoots but the general rule of thumb is if you try to get people to read your scripts, try looking for a new job.
I've had the opposite experience so I must be lucky. I did ask a boss to read too soon though (after three months on the job... that's a mistake), but after a year of working for someone, the unspoken rule in LA is that it's okay to ask for your favor, be it a job recommendation or a script read. I've been an assistant, though, so it may be more difficult if people think you're trying to change your stripes
killertv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:05 PM   #17
qualitycontrol
Member
 
qualitycontrol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 1,316
Default Re: How to Query with a Spec for an Existing 1/2 hour Comedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by killertv View Post
I've had the opposite experience so I must be lucky. I did ask a boss to read too soon though (after three months on the job... that's a mistake), but after a year of working for someone, the unspoken rule in LA is that it's okay to ask for your favor, be it a job recommendation or a script read. I've been an assistant, though, so it may be more difficult if people think you're trying to change your stripes
Yeah, I think being in LA probably makes a difference.
qualitycontrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:40 PM   #18
jcgary
Member
 
jcgary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,192
Default Re: How to Query with a Spec for an Existing 1/2 hour Comedy

There's working in television, and then there's working in television. If you're a producer or PA or whathaveyou for a news program or a reality or talk show, then it wouldn't really make sense to ask someone else to read your How I Met Your Mother spec -- because they aren't making the kind of television you're looking to make.

When I suggest you get a job in television, perhaps I should've been more specific: get a job (any job) in the same arena where you want to work. If you want to write sitcoms, get your a$s on a sitcom set any way you can. Or go work for a lit manager or lit agent. Find a way to get in front of the people who have the job you want. They will always read your stuff after you've been there for a bit.
jcgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Done Deal Pro

eXTReMe Tracker