Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cho imitating "Old Boy?"

If this turns out to be true, you fans of this genre better start learning how to write rom-com. The following from the NY Times website. You can see the photos at http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/200...virginia-tech/

April 18, 2007, 9:05 am
    Updates on Virginia Tech
    By Mike Nizza
    Tags: murder, virginia
    An Image's Ties to a Dark Movie | 8:07 PM ET

A self-shot photo of Mr. Cho, above, and a still from the Web site of the movie 'Oldboy.' (Photos: NBC News, top; Tartan Films)
    The inspiration for perhaps the most inexplicable image in the set that Cho Seung-Hui mailed to NBC news on Monday may be a movie from South Korea that won the Gran Prix prize at Cannes Film Festival in 2004.

The poses in the two images are similar, and the plot of the movie, "Oldboy,- seems dark enough to merit at least some further study. Following is The Times's plot summary:

The film centers on a seemingly ordinary businessman, Dae-su (the terrific Choi Min-sik), who, after being mysteriously imprisoned, goes on an extensive, exhausting rampage, seeking answers and all manner of bloody revenge.

In a Times review, Manohla Dargis wrote that the film's "body count and sadistic violence- mostly appealed to "cult-film aficionados for whom distinctions between high art and low are unknown, unrecognized and certainly unwelcome.-

A Virginia Tech professor, Paul Harrill, alerted us of the similarity between images in the hope that it would shed some light on what led Mr. Cho to kill 32 on Monday before turning the gun on himself.

Re: Cho imitating "Old Boy?"

Well, it didn't take long for someone in the media to suggest the media was responsible for this kid's rampage.

Censorship reflects a society's lack of confidence in itself.
    It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime.
    -- Potter Stewart

Comment

http://www.chud.com/index.php?type=news&id=9828

Interesting article about this very topic.
      "When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Comment

The photo where he had the gun to his own head? Should've gone with his initial idea, on that one. Leave the world a better place.
        sigpic
        "As human beings, our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world -
        that is the myth of the atomic age - as in being able to remake ourselves."
        -Mahatma Gandhi.

Comment

How many ways exactly can one hold a hammer and look threatening?
          twitter.com/leespatterson

Comment

Whoa... I saw the title of the thread and thought that they'd cast Margaret Cho in the Hollywood remake.

But...
            In a Times review, Manohla Dargis wrote that the film’s “body count and sadistic violence” mostly appealed to “cult-film aficionados for whom distinctions between high art and low are unknown, unrecognized and certainly unwelcome.”
            ...I'd still like to hear Dargis explain what truly separates a Scorsese film from lowbrow exploitation.
            "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

OLD BOY is one of my favorite movies....

You've all been warned!

No, really - haven't seen it since a film fest, but it's gross violence includes eating a live octopus (were there any photos of that?) and having your tongue removed with scissors.

The hammer is used in an amusing scene that's kind of a rif on that hallway scene from ENTER THE DRAGON - our hero confronts a gangster and is attacked by *hundreds* of gang guys in a hallway. He's armed only with a hammer. He bonks them all over the head and escapes.

Not exactly violent - more cartoonish.

The film is also very similar to a Brian DePalma movie called OBSESSION.

- Bill
              Last edited by wcmartell; 04-19-2007, 11:40 AM.
              Free Script Tips:
              http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

The media have played into his hands by showing his confessional tape.
                "What's worse than being talked about? Not being talked about."

Comment

Don't forget how evil video games are:

http://www.gamestooge.com/2007/04/16...ech-shootings/

Comment

"It's a fair cop...society's to blame!"
                    "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
                      The hammer is used in an amusing scene that's kind of a rif on that hallway scene from ENTER THE DRAGON - our hero confronts a gangster and is attacked by *hundreds* of gang guys in a hallway. He's armed only with a hammer. He bonks them all over the head and escapes.

Not exactly violent - more cartoonish.

It's balletic. It's a work of cinematic art.

Comment

What a crock of sh1t. The sick fukk killed all those students because he's a sick fukk. There are people like him all about this world, and none of it has anything to do with movies. The guy was wrong in the head - evil.
                        Unfortunately, for every good man there is you'll find another who's evil to the core.

Oldboy seriously isn't even that violence. I don't remember many people getting shot in that film. Sure, there was the tongue, the teeth, and a little hammer action, but come on. There's thousands of more violent flicks out there.

And anyway this Cho piece of sh1t had nothing to be vengeful about. Crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by ShaneBlackFan View Post
                          The media have played into his hands by showing his confessional tape.
                          You echo my thoughts exactly. This guy knew he'd be "somebody" if he sent that tape to NBC and so far it's worked.
                          http://confoundedfilms.com

http://www.myspace.com/confoundedfilms

Comment

Originally posted by Hairy Lime View Post
                            You echo my thoughts exactly. This guy knew he'd be "somebody" if he sent that tape to NBC and so far it's worked.
                            Agreed. I've even seen this cokk gobbler's written plays (real disturbing sh1t, with or without hindsight) knocking about on NBC's website. I was shocked.

Comment

I wonder what his DD handle was ...
                              http://confoundedfilms.com

http://www.myspace.com/confoundedfilms

Comment

Working...
                              X