Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Classes, Contests, Conferences, Festivals, Groups, Panels & Seminars
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2010, 08:50 PM   #1
LeadSolo
Regular

Default 2010 Austin Notifications

The rest of 'em are up and running, might as well get AFF on board. Who's waiting?
LeadSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:27 AM   #2
LauriD

Default Re: 2010 Austin Notifications

Me.

And while we're at it, why DOES Austin have such a stellar reputation? It's on everyone's short list of the best contests, but the prizes are on the small side and there aren't so many of them.

I went 2 years ago and met a number of people who had found reps via their Austin status, so I guess that's it? Do the contest people actively promote winners/finalists/others or is this just based on the lists that go out?

L.
LauriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:58 AM   #3
LeadSolo
Regular

I'd hate to start yet another contest debate thread, but I applied because I plan on going anyway. More than a contest, the AFF has amazing panels. Oh, and 6th Street... Hello!
LeadSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:52 AM   #4
callingit
Regular

i'm all booked and paid for. Great deal on Southwest, even lower than the AFF's discounted rate with another airline.
callingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:59 AM   #5
winter dreams

Anyone know when the notification is? I vaguely recall sometime in August but their website isn't very helpful.
winter dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:08 AM   #6
redwriter
User

It doesn't say this year, but it's usually the very end of August.
redwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:29 AM   #7
LauriD

My calendar says aug 3 for semis and 24 for finals but it's got a question mark so i'm not sure if I read that somewhere or extrapolated from past announcements.

And I still haven't heard what's so great about Austin-the-contest (as distinct from the panels and bars). Not "contesting" the fact, just curious as to where the rep came from.
LauriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:34 AM   #8
acquaformosa
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauriD View Post
Me.

And while we're at it, why DOES Austin have such a stellar reputation? It's on everyone's short list of the best contests, but the prizes are on the small side and there aren't so many of them.
L.
I suppose that's a valid point for those who enter contests primarily based on quantifiable prizes. It'd be an interesting pie graph breakdown, if everyone's primary reasons were gathered (prizes, potential exposure, feedback, chance for production option, etc.).

However, I think the consensus I've always heard is that Austin is simply a very writer-friendly event and outside of Nicholl, supposedly has great exposure if your script is a high placement. I mean, I doubt people are entering Nicholl simply because it offers $30,000.
acquaformosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:40 AM   #9
NikeeGoddess
User

i've never entered or attended but i just went to the site. i'm thinking these prizes are pretty good.
Quote:
All entrants who advance to the Second Round of judging will be invited to participate in Roundtables during the Conference and will receive our Readers' Notes on their script at no extra charge.

Furthermore, Semifinalists and Finalists will sit alongside agents, producers and top industry writers in a series of special panels during the 2010 Austin Film Festival and Conference.

All Semifinalist and Finalist scripts will be included in the 2010 Producers Book which is distributed to more than 300 managers, agents, producers and other industry professionals.
the writers get real face time with industry folks at the festival. this seems to be much more rewarding than cash, software, announcements, and promises of reads from industry folks. so good luck!
NikeeGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:56 AM   #10
NatachaVonBraun

For quite a while now, Austin has been the place to be for screenwriters. I've been to several major festivals, including Sundance, and you don't have the opportunity to sit down and shoot the breeze with a working, professional writers. I've heard nothing but good stories about Austin.

I'm still on the fence about going this year ($$$ concerns). Can anyone recommend an affordable, reputable, clean hotel or place to stay?
NatachaVonBraun is offline   Reply With Quote