Breaking Bad... (continued from ctp's thread)

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Breaking Bad... (continued from ctp's thread)

While I liked the episode, I had a strong negative reaction to Walt and Skyler's final conversation. That Walt would seemingly automatically trust her that the police weren't involved and divulge things that he did was way too convenient for me. He's a man of subtext and that conversation except for the threat was all OTN. Even if he was purging... Meh.

Even before when he did trust her, all he said about Gus Fring was "I won."

Other than that I enjoyed Ozymandias.
    #writinginaStarbucks #re-thinkingmyexistence #notanotherweaklogline #thinkingwhatwouldWilldo

Comment

Originally posted by Ire View Post
      While I liked the episode, I had a strong negative reaction to Walt and Skyler's final conversation. That Walt would seemingly automatically trust her that the police weren't involved and divulge things that he did was way too convenient for me. He's a man of subtext and that conversation except for the threat was all OTN. Even if he was purging... Meh.

Even before when he did trust her, all he said about Gus Fring was "I won."

Other than that I enjoyed Ozymandias.
      I actually believe the arc at this point is that Walt has forgone reason for emotion... if you really do look at it... he got out heisenberged (out-smarted) by hank and jesse purely out of emotion...

in fact the past couple episodes Wally hasn't been acting out of reason at all but purely emotion... and this episode was the most emotion driven one yet.

Just my two "coppered" lincoln coins...
      INT. DR. GONZO'S HOTEL ROOM - NIGHT

A glass of BOURBON in one hand and a COMPUTER MOUSE in the other,
      Dr. Gonzo contemplates getting off the message board and back to his script.

Comment

Walt knew the police were listening. He admitted to all that stuff, and made it seem like he had threatened her to clear her name. He did it to make sure Skylar was in the clear. He made sure she could survive. He knew he was done for. It was his last act of love. In the end he's a man who did all this wrong out of love for his family. Now he's lost what he loves most.

Watch very closely Skylar's reaction, once Walt starts going into his tirade, she knows what he's doing. This whole season 5 has shown how Skylar can see through his lies now.
        Last edited by Deion22; 09-15-2013, 07:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Deion22 View Post
          Walt knew the police were listening. He admitted to all that stuff, and made it seem like he had threatened her to clear her name. He did it to make sure Skylar was in the clear. He gave made sure she could survive. He knew he was done for. It was his last act of love. In the end he's man who did all this wrong out of love for his family. Now he's lost what he loves most.

Watch very closely Skylar's reaction, once Walt starts going into his tirade, she knows what he's doing. This whole season 5 has shown how Skylar can see through his lies now.
          This.

He might have worked some genuine anger in there, but the entire purpose of that call was to protect Skyler and his family. No debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Deion22 View Post
            Walt knew the police were listening. He admitted to all that stuff, and made it seem like he had threatened her to clear her name. He did it to make sure Skylar was in the clear. He gave made sure she could survive. He knew he was done for. It was his last act of love. In the end he's man who did all this wrong out of love for his family. Now he's lost what he loves most.

I'll have to watch it again.
            Last edited by Ire; 09-15-2013, 08:25 PM.
            #writinginaStarbucks #re-thinkingmyexistence #notanotherweaklogline #thinkingwhatwouldWilldo

Comment

They just brought this up on Talking Bad, and Dean Norris had to spoil my "no debate" comment by saying "well some people are saying that... I don't know" (about whether Walt was trying to clear Skyler via that call).

I didn't think there was any question, personally.

Comment

Originally posted by jboffer View Post
                They just brought this up on Talking Bad, and Dean Norris had to spoil my "no debate" comment by saying "well some people are saying that... I don't know" (about whether Walt was trying to clear Skyler via that call).

I didn't think there was any question, personally.
                I don't think it was out of the realm of possibility. They were just in a knife fight so yeah Walt might not have been thinking clearly as DG pointed out. So while I would like Deion's and yours interpretation of the conversation, it's one of those things that to me needed some space in between the knife fight/abduction.

The scene with Holly might have been that which connects Walt to trying save Skyler, but either way I wasn't as happy with that conversation.

Other than that I did really like the other beats of the episode.

Comment

It is, in fact, hours later -- the sun has set, the police have already conducted the first round of questioning and have moved past the initial "are you sure it's an abduction?" conversation with Skyler.

And Walt leaves Holly at the fire station minutes later, which should tell you everything about how angry he really is at that point. (If the part where he's sobbing in between snarling accusations doesn't do it for you, which really, I don't know how much more evidence you need.)

Was he angry when he left the house? Yes. Is he still angry? Almost certainly.

But is that why he calls Skyler? Nuh-uh, no way.

Were you supposed to think that, and then gradually figure that out during the scene? Yup.

Why ask if the police are there, when he has to know they are? To help create the impression that what he's saying ISN'T meant for the police's ears.

Comment

Originally posted by kpowers View Post
                    It is, in fact, hours later -- the sun has set, the police have already conducted the first round of questioning and have moved past the initial "are you sure it's an abduction?" conversation with Skyler.

And Walt leaves Holly at the fire station minutes later, which should tell you everything about how angry he really is at that point. (If the part where he's sobbing in between snarling accusations doesn't do it for you, which really, I don't know how much more evidence you need.)

Was he angry when he left the house? Yes. Is he still angry? Almost certainly.

But is that why he calls Skyler? Nuh-uh, no way.

Were you supposed to think that, and then gradually figure that out during the scene? Yup.

Why ask if the police are there, when he has to know they are? To help create the impression that what he's saying ISN'T meant for the police's ears.
                    I think he made that call to infer she was not involved, that he had kept her living in fear the whole time. Especially when he finished off his call by saying you know what happened to Hank, it can happen to you... to me he was setting up her defense for down the road.

How 'bout the shot of the knives by the phone at the beginning of the episode. you just knew they were gonna put to good use later on...
                    " Don't really like writing. But I do like having written." Vince Gilligan, Breaking Bad.

Comment

Unbelievable episode. Any theories about what the final shot of the dog crossing the road meant, beyond the obvious?

Comment

Wow, this episode will be remembered for a very long time. Drama doesn´t get better than this. It doesn´t get more intense. It doesn´t get more heartbreaking. But who knows what the last two episodes might bring?

After the episode ended I needed a moment to process the phone call. While I was watching the scene I thought there´s something of about Walt, he´s talking strangely. That´s not him.

I agree. He wanted to clear Skyler.

Brilliant storytelling, acting, visualization.

The only thing I didn´t buy was that Walt got to keep a barrel full of money. It seems out of Uncle Jack´s character.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Neff View Post
                          Wow, this episode will be remembered for a very long time. Drama doesn´t get better than this. It doesn´t get more intense. It doesn´t get more heartbreaking. But who knows what the last two episodes might bring?

After the episode ended I needed a moment to process the phone call. While I was watching the scene I thought there´s something of about Walt, he´s talking strangely. That´s not him.

I agree. He wanted to clear Skyler.

Brilliant storytelling, acting, visualization.

The only thing I didn´t buy was that Walt got to keep a barrel full of money. It seems out of Uncle Jack´s character.
                          Yeah, I watched it again last night and again, a great episode.

I thought about the conversation and while I saw the intent and he was speaking to the police. Yes, it was to clear her, but it was kind of cliche stuff that police "want to hear." All he had to technically was clear her during that conversation and there was time to do that. So anyway, I won't belabor the point.

Comment

No question he was getting Skyler off the hook, and it was a really good time to show some good in him.

Can't wait to see how the Pinkmen story plays out.
                            It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Comment

I think in any other show, you'd be certain what Walt was doing with that phone call; they'd make it overly obvious. That people weren't quite certain about it shows just how brilliant the writing and acting are.

Someone mentioned before how distinct the pickup point was (with the guys who give you a new identity). The payback came last night, when we instantly recognize where Walt is at the end of the episode. Love the dog too. They think of every detail.

Best line and LOL moment: polite psycho Todd, "Sorry for your loss."

Still hoping Hank will come crawling out of the grave next episode... gonna miss him!

My website:www.marjorykaptanoglu.com

Comment

One more thing. I watched the phone call again, and the way Skyler says, "I'm sorry," conveys that she knows what he's doing, and it comes across as a sincere statement of regret over everything that's happened, and that's going to happen, now that Walt is a wanted man.

My website:www.marjorykaptanoglu.com

Comment

Working...
                                X