Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Agents, Lawyers & Managers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2013, 05:12 PM   #11
Bunker

Default Re: An agent read my script, he said he'll reply with notes. Is he interested?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madbandit View Post
No rewrites, until you sign a contract with the guy.
I disagree. Rewrites are a case-by-case basis when you're starting out. The OP needs to feel out the agent's excitement level, and determine how reasonable the notes are.

A contract with an agent is fairly useless for the writer. It guarantees the agent their 10%, but it doesn't guarantee the writer that their script will be adequately represented.
Bunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:31 PM   #12
joe9alt

Default Re: An agent read my script, he said he'll reply with notes. Is he interested?

I'm with Bunker on the contract thing. You don't need a contract.

My guess is it's maybe moving toward hip pocket type situation with the potential for you to become a full-fledged client.

BUT...

Just ask him, dude.

He's not gonna turn you into stone or anything if you ask him to clarify the relationship.

And frankly, he's the only one that can provide that clarification/
Old 06-26-2013, 05:38 PM   #13
MJ Scribe

thanks for noting that Joe9alt, I didn't know and would've thought otherwise.
Good to know. If a manager's heading toward a hip pocket situation, you then
do the notes and basically see how things are headed?

really wasn't sure how that part worked... thanks!
MJ Scribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:05 PM   #14
joe9alt

There's no hard and fast rule. If the guy seems cool and like somebody you'd want to work with/somebody who can sell you or your work then maybe you decide to enter into a hip pocket type situation? It's your call. The rep would hopefully be upfront about that and explain the arrangement, though. There should be no mystery in terms of the communication between you and your potential rep -- if you have a question -- ask them. If they don't answer then that would raise a red flag in my mind about their abilities. Like any potentially fruitful relationship, communication is key. Just ask him if he is offering to rep you basically and see what he says. It's kind of weird that he would jump into notes before clarifying the relationship but stanger things have happened. A lot of these cats have short attention spans.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:50 PM   #15
LIMAMA

Default Re: An agent read my script, he said he'll reply with notes. Is he interested

Depends how legit the agent is. Who is it? I
Old 06-27-2013, 08:55 AM   #16
markerstone
Regular

Hooray! Free notes!

I would also ask a couple qualifying questions when and if they are delivered.

There are no stupid questions in this case - you are simply looking for clarification.

Best,

Markerstone
markerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:13 AM   #17
Filmmagician
Regular

Wow. A lot of great feedback. The agent is from Gotham Artists Agency. I pitched him a comedy, he wasn't interested, but asked for this period piece/heist script ( I had it listed on my IMDB page, he must have seen it there). When he wrote back he said he had read it and will get back to me with notes. I guess I'm not losing anything by re-writing according to the notes and re-submitting - I've got time.

I just assume that he doesn't want to waste time (reading, writing notes, re-reading). More importantly I don't want to waste my time. If he wants to put this in his tool belt and use it down the line, or likes the style of writing, then that's great too, I'm on board.

Some great advice, thanks guy. I'll definitely ask him what our relationship/deal will be if I do a re-write and he likes the script. Would he try to sell it before agreeing to represent me? I know of managers/agents that work with writers and don't rep them... until a sale happens.

I'll wait and see what he says and what the notes entail.

thanks again. you guys rock.
Filmmagician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:20 PM   #18
Levenger

Agents give notes?!
Levenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:32 PM   #19
speedyreader310
New User

A rep might read your script and see potential but not be ready to commit. They also don't want to alienate you in case only this script was a consider and the next you write is a JURASSIC PARK or BLACK SWAN. Giving notes is a way for them to take a step while leaving the door open. From my experience managers will give notes to writers that they don't sign and is an overall sign of good will. However, they usually won't keep reading drafts.

I advise against working with a rep who wants to shop your script before they sign you. They need to focus on selling you as a writer over selling individual scripts. Stick with classy reps.
speedyreader310 is offline   Reply With Quote