FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 05:56 PM   #11
SCRYPTREADER
Regular

Default Re: LA Neighborhoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillyflower Cooms
The Valley isn't all that cheap but it's less expensive than living in some areas over the hill. Hollywood is pretty beat up and if you don't care about the beach then the Valley is a good choice. Laurel Canyon whips you right onto Fairfax in ten minutes. Same with Coldwater into Beverly Hills... and Beverly Glen takes you right to UCLA in ten minutes. You got the 405 and the 101 too. Yeah it gets hotter in the Valley but make sure your place has a/c and you'll never notice it.

Save up some cash for the move so you can put money down and all of that and you'll want to bring a car or prepare to buy one.

Even though ED is the voice of doom and projects his fear too much...if it isn't a big strain or sacrifice to move out... do it. L.A. is definitely a better city to live if you have the $$$$$$$. Although ED is right that you can write scripts from anywhere...you can't meet the people that make it happen anywhere, and as long as you make the commitment to meet as many people as you can it will make the move worthwhile and won't be a bad thing. If you don't like it...you can always move back.
you may want to consider culver city as well... cheaper than l.a./connected to the westside/good schools.

love the post by gilly however - very thorough and informative.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:22 PM   #12
AJane
User

Smile Re: LA Neighborhoods

Before you uproot your teenagers and your husband quits his job, find out if your writing truly has the potential to go somewhere.

Have someone who writes scripts ... a lot of them ... or reads scripts look at your best two and give you feedback. (Check in script consultant category on this board for some very good, affordable analysts).

You could also have some screenwriters who haven't broken in yet but are good and knowledgable give yours a read.

If you get continued praise about your writing, then attempt the whole agent/manager thing from Georgia to see what happens.

Enter a contest or two and see what happens with that.

I say this because it seems as if you haven't really 'tested' your writing. And living in Los Angeles -- I do, by the way, and I moved here from the Midwest -- is great in some ways, and difficult in others. I don't know where you stand financially, but a shoebox out here runs over $500,000.

If you're single and are really hungry to break in, I think moving to Los Angeles is almost necessary. The resources are amazing and within reach. And you make contacts without even trying. I made my first contact within my first week here. My neighbor had a starring role in a huge Touchstone feature. But a family? With a spouse who has a career? And kids who are entrenched in their schools and neighborhood? That's a completely different story.

Do all of that stuff first. If you have the talent, people will respond. And, if they respond, the decision will be much easier to make.

But between now and then, visit here -- A LOT.

Drive from Glendale to Santa Monica during rush hour. Even AFTER rush hour. I love the opportunities that living in LA provides, but every time I'm stuck in that kind of traffic, I shake my head and say, I'm crazy.

But then I go see Bobby Moresco talk about co-writing 'Crash' on a Tuesday night for free and remember why I came.

Don't move to break in. Knock on the door first and see if anyone answers.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:44 PM   #13
Pendagger
User

Culver City...the old movie district. It's close, clean and getting pretty hip again. Another area is the Ocean Park section of Santa Monica, close enough to everything and it's a production company boomtown.

do it...
Old 11-14-2005, 09:28 PM   #14
contrarian1
User

While it's not impossible to find a 2BR for $1200-$1300, you should probably try to have a higher budget (or lower your expectations). I was apartment-hunting not too long ago, and 2BRs in that range were largely in neighborhoods I wouldn't want to live in.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:45 PM   #15
kullervo
Regular

I'll solve one problem right off:

Never mention in a query letter that you're willing to come to Los Angeles as needed. Ever.

Here's what they want to see in a query letter: your log line, and any spectacularly on-topic life experience. That's it, that's all.

Do not call attention to the fact that you live out of town! Do you think they read your address? They do not. All they want to know is what your script is about.

Next, read my website. Shameless self-promotion, I know, but I talk about the mistakes I've seen in new writers' scripts, how to get an agent, and what the business is really like. The business screed will be expanding soon with new disappointing information. My goal for the website is that writers go into this business with their eyes well and truly open. Think you can be one of the 24 new writers to sell a spec out of the 100,000 specs written each year?

http://home.earthlink.net/~kullervo/

Third, before you call Bekins, PM me if you'd like and I'll give you some notes on your best script. I'll read it as though you were a fellow graduate of the MFA program at UCLA and in one of my writing groups. Let me know.

kullervo
Old 11-14-2005, 11:54 PM   #16
ale88
New User

First of all I want to thank everyone for posting, and please keep it coming, all the more the merrier. It really does help me narrow it down to a few promising places.

As for my writing, I am the first one to say that I have not done all I can as far as getting reads, contacting agents, etc. That is on my plan before I go to LA. Like starting now...

I think some of you have the wrong impression about me. First of all my children are small, only two are in elementary school, one actually in Kindergarten, my husband does not have a career, just a simple sales job at a music store (he is a guitar player and a dreamer also of course). When I say uprooting it is true in the fact that we have always lived within an hour of where we live now. I do not mean it in the sense that I am ripping my husband from a career or my children from their beloved friends. I do know that I have to get some kind of feedback. I have read hundreds of screenplays, tons of screenwriting books, etc., etc., which in fact in no way guarantees that I am any good at all, just that I know how to read. I may really suck. I may be one of those 100,000 who wrote a screenplay this year who never sold anything... but isn't just the thought of being one of those 24 worth every minute of torture and agony, even if never to be recognized.

I must say that I do not think I will go to LA and be some big screenwriter... believe me I have recited my Oscar speech as I am sure the next wannabe screenwriter has, but I am not unrealistic or naive to the fact that it is going to be extremely hard.

Please believe me I welcome all of your criticism, as I am sure I will have mountains of it coming my way. To be honest, just the thought that I am making this move and I am going after my own dream, even with three kids and the whole family thing......then it is worth every stupid mistake I make in the process.

By the way, I asked Dave in Hollywhooped about moving to LA about a year ago, he said (I am not quoting) that if you want a career in screenwriting you have to be in LA. He said that if you live somewhere else you should put that you are willing to come to LA to meetings, etc. But hey I know every one has their own opinions, that is why they are so wonderful and appreciated!
Old 11-15-2005, 03:02 AM   #17
Willoughby
Regular

Burbank sounds like it might be the type of neighborhood you're looking for. I live just above Glenoaks and it reminds me a lot of home (which for me was a suburban, midwest, soccer-mom land).

Also, take Kullervo up on her offer or I'm going to find where you live, break into your house while your out, and send her one of my scripts while pretending to be you.

Yes, I'm kidding, but not by much. In fact, I bet the thought ran through a few other DDer's minds, as well.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:58 AM   #18
Joe Unidos

Hey Kullervo--

If I threaten to move to LA, will you make the same offer to me??

Old 11-15-2005, 09:22 AM   #19
kullervo
Regular

I've created a monster...

k
Old 11-15-2005, 09:42 AM   #20
ale88
New User

First off, thanks so much Gillyflower - your info is a HUGE help! Thanks for taking the time to give so much detail.

Thanks also to kullervo for offering the help; I may just take you up on it!

To pooks and English Dave and whoever else questions this -- Why have I written six screenplays and not made any contacts, etc., etc.,

Consider this, over the past several years while I have been writing I have also been having babies...and quite frankly I was not ready to make contacts. You see I actually love to write. I am not writing to try to make a sale. I have read Hollywhooped a hundred of times where a writer who has only written one script is trying to figure out how to sell it. Well I have never assumed that by writing one screenplay I was a great writer. I have raised my babies and by the time I move my smallest will be starting kindergarten. I am just now ready to pursue this career. I just kept writing because I loved it, not because I was in the pursuit of a sale.
Closed Thread