No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Big Budget Tentpoles

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
    ...catcon: There are no shortage of not classically handsome bankable male stars. Most of them do comedy, but the big stars cross over. It's box office draw, not how they look...
    I am sure there are plenty out there. It may be more of a challenge to think a "tough looking" star, say, a young Charles Bronson, would appear in a film called "The Ugly Dude" because these people are known for egos, after all! "Call me 'ugly' and I'll bash you!"

Anyway, I shall persist!

Comment

Originally posted by Tochirta View Post
      Even the younger stars (e.g. Chris Pine) fall into this category.
      TWILIGHT.

But as a writer I have nothing to do with casting, just the story. If I write the next MATRIX I have no idea who plays the lead... it will be whatever star signs on. Stars are interchangeable - when Tom Cruise left SALT they hired Angelina Jolie. I never write "fat white guy" as my leads, I just write the lead who fits my big tentpole concept - either someone who can kick ass or someone who can not kick ass but must do it anyway (different for comedies). In my little movies they cast whatever star they can get - so my leads have ended up African American and Asian American and Pretty Boy White Guys, etc. Somehow, I have *not* worked with Lou Diamond Philips, yet. But he could have been the test pilot called back to duty to retrieve the ultimate stealth fighter plane before terrorists use against us. Why not?

The change will be gradual, but with a growing Latino population, there will be stars coming up to appeal to them. Or they will clone Banderas.

PS: Ugly Latinos! MACHETE may be the thing that changes the face of Hollywood - if you look at the big change with African Americans it came after the success of Blaxploitation films. They were popular with audiences of all colors and that created some Black stars and also made those white guys in the suits realize they needed to hire some of those stars. So - more Latinosploitation films!

- Bill
      Last edited by wcmartell; 12-14-2010, 03:19 PM.
      Free Script Tips:
      http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Thanks Bill, Jeff and Ranta

The thing about the Matrix is that it's a raceless and pretty much genderless film. Anyone could have been anyone in that movie, with maybe the exception of Trinity having to be female for love interest purposes. The conflict is man vs machine.

In the script I'm about to start, I'm thinking about using a Black protag who's working class. Race doesn't matter in the story at all (working class is the truly important part), but I figure that statistically/percentage-wise, there are more poor ethnic Americans than not. Besides, I'm Black.

So there's a fear (perhaps baseless) that someone might read the script and think: 'well, you have a Black protag between 20-30 and there's nobody bankable we'd risk money on to make that movie.' I can't think offhead of Black female and male actors between the ages of 20-30 who have some sort of viable acting career (other than the girl from Precious).

And as writers, we're encouraged to write with a star in mind. It helps visualize the film, acting mannerisms, etc

Anyway, I guess your overall point is just write the best script you can because you won't have a hand in casting anyway. Let the studio figure out who will play the leads. and chances are if the studio like the script in any way, they'll do the rewrites where they feel necessary.

Comment

...Anyway, I guess your overall point is just write the best script you can because you won't have a hand in casting anyway. Let the studio figure out who will play the leads. and chances are if the studio like the script in any way, they'll do the rewrites where they feel necessary.
          Your final paragraph says it all. They'll do what they want.

I've had criticism about how specific I am in my race/gender/age identification in my scripts.

What the heck!?

Even where it's not critically important, it paints the picture for the reader! However, once they've paid me for the thing, they can flip genders, change races, age or de-age, add or remove profanity, whatever. Till there's $$$, for transferable characteristics such as these, I paint the picture I want to.

By the way, I'm a white-a$$ed male, but in my 12 screenplays I've had two Black leads, 7 female leads, and somewhat fewer appearances by Middle Eastern, Asian, Latino, etc., though all in non-stereotypic roles.

Oh, and one specifically-described "ugly" dude lead; race not important.

I'd like to think my repeat readers come to expect such diversity from me now.

Comment

The thing about the Matrix is that it's a raceless and pretty much genderless film.
            That's one of the things I really like about sci-fi, you can invent a future where race and gender are non issues.

I say write your script the way you want it and see what happens. If someone buys it and produces it and turns all the black characters into white characters, that will be a bummer, but on the other hand you'll be on your way to fame and fortune

Plus, maybe the next time around, once you have a bit more market value and clout, your own vision will have more weight. You can throw tantrums, act like a diva, hold the script hostage, insist on directing or whatever

Comment

So... if my big budget script has a female lead who is not easily interchangeable with a male playing the part -- I'm - um - screwed?
              Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

The thing about the Matrix is that it's a raceless and pretty much genderless film. Anyone could have been anyone in that movie, with maybe the exception of Trinity having to be female for love interest purposes. The conflict is man vs machine.

In the script I'm about to start, I'm thinking about using a Black protag who's working class. Race doesn't matter in the story at all (working class is the truly important part), but I figure that statistically/percentage-wise, there are more poor ethnic Americans than not. Besides, I'm Black.

So there's a fear (perhaps baseless) that someone might read the script and think: 'well, you have a Black protag between 20-30 and there's nobody bankable we'd risk money on to make that movie.' I can't think offhead of Black female and male actors between the ages of 20-30 who have some sort of viable acting career (other than the girl from Precious).

And as writers, we're encouraged to write with a star in mind. It helps visualize the film, acting mannerisms, etc

Anyway, I guess your overall point is just write the best script you can because you won't have a hand in casting anyway. Let the studio figure out who will play the leads. and chances are if the studio like the script in any way, they'll do the rewrites where they feel necessary.

Will Smith was originally wanted for the part of Neo. He turned it down for "The Wild, Wild West". Fun tidbit.

As for black female actresses between 20-30, Zoe Saldana says hi. Star Trek, Avatar, The Losers. I'd say she's having a pretty damn viable acting career.

Not disagreeing with your overall point, just throwing that out there.

Comment

Originally posted by sc111 View Post
                  So... if my big budget script has a female lead who is not easily interchangeable with a male playing the part -- I'm - um - screwed?
                  I'd say they're always fairly interchangeable in big budget films (especially action...which most tentpoles are). SALT was supposed to be played by Tom Cruise. Now it's Angelina Jolie.

Comment

Originally posted by CthulhuRises View Post
                    I'd say they're always fairly interchangeable in big budget films (especially action...which most tentpoles are). SALT was supposed to be played by Tom Cruise. Now it's Angelina Jolie.
                    Interchangeable? No. But if there was ever a time to be marketing a female-driven action film, it's now.
                    QUESTICLES -- It's about balls on a mission.

Comment

Originally posted by Knaight View Post
                      Interchangeable? No. But if there was ever a time to be marketing a female-driven action film, it's now.
                      Well, in the example I just cited you...the role absolutely was interchangeable.

"In 2007, Tom Cruise had been approached by Noyce to play Edwin A. Salt from the script written by Kurt Wimmer. Cruise was unable to commit to the script because of other commitments to projects and feared that the character was too close to his Mission Impossible character Ethan Hunt."

The script was written with a male lead. They ended up using a female lead.

Comment

Originally posted by CthulhuRises View Post
                        Well, in the example I just cited you...the role absolutely was interchangeable.

"In 2007, Tom Cruise had been approached by Noyce to play Edwin A. Salt from the script written by Kurt Wimmer. Cruise was unable to commit to the script because of other commitments to projects and feared that the character was too close to his Mission Impossible character Ethan Hunt."

The script was written with a male lead. They ended up using a female lead.
                        I hear you. I'm not talking about story roles, though. I'm talking about bankable stars. There are very few female action stars that can fill a theater on their own. Believe me, I of all people would love to see that change. I've got a female-driven action comedy that I'm going to be sending to anyone and everyone over the next couple months.

Comment

Originally posted by Knaight View Post
                          I hear you. I'm not talking about story roles, though. I'm talking about bankable stars. There are very few female action stars that can fill a theater on their own. Believe me, I of all people would love to see that change. I've got a female-driven action comedy that I'm going to be sending to anyone and everyone over the next couple months.
                          Ah, I see. I agree with that. There is definitely a paucity of bankable female stars (as a lead), let alone action stars.

Comment

I remember when I first started talking about my projects with other writers and EVERYBODY told me nobody wanted a female-driven action film and that I should only write male leads.

I ignored them because f*ck that.
                            Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Originally posted by emily blake View Post

I ignored them because f*ck that.
                              This is exactly the attitude I'm taking with everyone who's trying to tell me not to put a picture in my screenplay.

Comment

A small percentage of specs are bought and made. No one said that the female lead action movie can't lead to assignment work.

Comment

Working...
                                X