Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ScriptShadow Screenwiting Contest - Official Thread

An important note before we begin. DoneDeal is not affiliated with this contest. In no way may you say you “placed in the DoneDeal Screenplay Competition.” Maybe next year I can convince Will to lend us his name. But at the moment, I’m just happy he’s allowing us to use this forum for the competition.

Our goal for this contest is to find the best script. This isn’t a Fellowship. We’re obviously not developing any writers. With that said, let’s get right to it. Here are the rules.

RULES

1)Any member of DoneDeal who is not currently a member of the WGA and has not had a produced credit within the last two years can join the competition.
    2)Only one screenplay per contestant.
    3)The screenplay must be submitted in PDF form to this e-mail address: [email protected], by 11:59 P.M. (PST) Sunday May 17th. You may begin submitting screenplays starting TODAY.
    4)In your e-mail please include both your real name as well as your DoneDeal nickname. In addition, list the title, genre, and your script’s logline. On the title page of the screenplay itself, please use your real name.
    5)If you’ve confirmed your entry with me and for whatever reason cannot participate, please let me know ASAP so I can alert one of the alternates.
    6)I will be personally reading all 100 entries. From those 100, I will be choosing 5 finalists. Those 5 finalists will then be read by myself, Mike, and Omar. The three of us will collectively choose the top 3, as well as the winner.
    7)The 5 finalists will be announced on July 17th.
    8)The winner, second place and third place will be announced on July 31st.

PRIZES

Top 5
    The top 5 scripts will have their loglines posted here at DoneDeal. In addition, Omar Shamout, who’s worked at The Donner’s Company and Scott Free Productions and is currently the Director of Development at HQ Pictures (bio), will send these loglines out to a list of his close contacts.

Top 3
    The top 3 scripts will receive a script analysis from Going The Distance/A Zombie’s Lament writer and long time New Line Reader Geoff Latulippe (Geoff is not a part of the judging committee – just one of the prizes).

Grand Prize
    The winner will receive a personal referral to one of the top 5 agencies (William Morris, UTA, ICM, CAA, or Endeavor) as well as a personal referral to a reputable literary manager by Mike Le, the writer of Tokyo Superpunch and the highly acclaimed web comic, “Don’t Forget To Validate Your Parking” (http://www.dontforgettovalidateyourparking.com/). Mike is currently the VP of HQ Pictures.

This will be the thread where all the main updates are posted until the Top 5 are announced. Any questions you have for myself, Mike or Omar, please leave them in this thread. Good luck to everyone! The competition begins…NOW.

IMPORTANT: The contest is FULL. Do not send a script unless you were previously confirmed. Anyone interested in the contest who did not previously confirm can sign up as an alternate, in which case I will notify you when a spot opens up. Thank you.
    Last edited by ScriptShadow; 03-27-2009, 01:17 PM.
    Script Reviews - 5 a week! http://scriptshadow.blogspot.com/

Re: WilsonReads Screenwiting Contest - Official Thread

Good luck everyone! Looking forward to some great scripts.
    Twitter: @WriterLe

Comment

Originally posted by Biohazard
      #3 - is that LA time?
      What's wrong with being third?

Jus' kiddin', kid.

Good luck everybody!

"Artificial Intelligence will never match the efficiency of Natural Stupidity"

Comment

I know the script I'm going to be entering and I'm very excited to be doing the rewrites over the next month and a half.
        I rock it for Jesus and I'm in love.

Dreaming the impossible dream, working towards realizing it one day at a time.

http://johnnyatthemovies.wordpress.com/

Comment

Here we go!! Good luck people.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
            I know the script I'm going to be entering and I'm very excited to be doing the rewrites over the next month and a half.
            Rewrites schmewrites. I was scarcely on page 20 of a first draft when I said I'd join this puppy. But without a reason to write, I'll procrastinate and never get anything done.

Comment

I think this is a great grass-roots Done Deal home-grown real-thang screenwriting contest and I applaud Wilson for wading through the 100 entries and Mike and Oman and Geoff for taking part as well.

Any other pro's wanna assist with this?

EJ

Comment

Originally posted by Biohazard View Post
                Rewrites schmewrites. I was scarcely on page 20 of a first draft when I said I'd join this puppy. But without a reason to write, I'll procrastinate and never get anything done.
                That's I the boat I'm sailin' in too.

brad
                People will think what I tell them to think when you tell what to tell them to think. ~ H. Simpson on being a critic

http://www.mediafire.com/pop17scripts

Comment

Is anybody starting from page 0?

Like, not even typed FADE IN yet.

Comment

Originally posted by doubler83 View Post
                    Is anybody starting from page 0?

Like, not even typed FADE IN yet.
                    Kind of. I played around with the concept for the story for a long time. Outlining it this weekend. Busy weeks ahead with trying to finish the script on time and graduating.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackmagic View Post
                      Kind of. I played around with the concept for the story for a long time. Outlining it this weekend.
                      Likewise.

Comment

I have a very vauge outline and five pages written. May 17 is plenty of time to crank somethingout.

Comment

Hmm. As someone who's been on the reading/judging end of a contest before, I really think you should only use handles, and let the winner reveal his real name only after you announce him. A non-anoymous contest (which this clearly is) causes major problems no matter how hard you try to keep things fair.
                          • Your friends will be hurt when you don't pick them.
                          • If you DO love one of your friends' scripts, you will still feel like you can't pick them because it would look improper -- thus being unfair to talented writers who you happen to know.
                          • Even if you are really careful NOT to pick any of your friends, people will STILL think there was some kind of favoritism involved, because people are bitter when they don't win.
                          You know the saying, No good deed goes unpunished. You are doing a really generous thing here and if you make it non-anonymous, you'll just end up regretting it. Trust me on this.

Comment

Originally posted by morecaffeineplease View Post
                            Hmm. As someone who's been on the reading/judging end of a contest before, I really think you should only use handles, and let the winner reveal his real name only after you announce him. A non-anoymous contest (which this clearly is) causes major problems no matter how hard you try to keep things fair.
                            • Your friends will be hurt when you don't pick them.
                            • If you DO love one of your friends' scripts, you will still feel like you can't pick them because it would look improper -- thus being unfair to talented writers who you happen to know.
                            • Even if you are really careful NOT to pick any of your friends, people will STILL think there was some kind of favoritism involved, because people are bitter when they don't win.
                            You know the saying, No good deed goes unpunished. You are doing a really generous thing here and if you make it non-anonymous, you'll just end up regretting it. Trust me on this.
                            When the top 5 scripts gets to Omar and I, they will be submitted anonymously. I'll let Wilson speak for himself in regards to what he's doing for his round.
                            Twitter: @WriterLe

Comment

Originally posted by Biohazard View Post
                              Ahaha, believe me I've procastinated the rewriting brosef. I finished this script in August have half assed rewriting to not even trying for the last six months. Now I have something to get my buns in gear and do something about it finally.
                              I rock it for Jesus and I'm in love.

Dreaming the impossible dream, working towards realizing it one day at a time.

http://johnnyatthemovies.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X