Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using multi small scenes in one large room - HOW?0

How do I write a scene in a single large café where there are groups of characters I'd like to speak as the camera roles to the other side of the room (from right to left, one end of the room to the other)?

I've heard you aren't supposed to give 'camera directions' in scripts.

Do I just write "INT. Café - Night-; then Person A and B enter, Person C and D are speaking at entrance (with dialogue); to the left of them/ adjacent to them, Person C and D are speaking (dialogue); beside the opposite wall, F and G are speaking?

Or maybe "INT. CAFE / TABLE 1 - NIGHT" ; "INT. CAFE / TABLE 2 - NIGHT" etc? How to show action is moving from right to left? Can you please provide examples or what formatting might look like? many thanks

Re: Using multi small scenes in one large room - HOW?0

Most people use minislugs in this situation.

AT THE FRONT TABLE

A and B chat.

BY THE DOOR

C and D argue.

AT THE TABLE BY THE KITCHEN

Blah blah blah.

Comment

That seems the right approach. for my scenario would I say:
      BY THE DOOR
      blah blah

MIDDLE OF ROOM
      blah

OPPOSITE SIDE OF THE ROOM
      blah blah

or use this:
      TABLE ONE
      blah

TABLE TWO
      blah blah

TABLE THREE
      blah

any specific ideas? which is best?

Comment

If they're at tables, you might consider visualizing the cafe for separate areas and breaking shots based on function. E.g., INT. CAFE - TABLE BY ENTRANCE, TABLE IN CENTER, TABLE AT FRONT GLASS WALL, TABLE AT MURAL WALL etc

If they're all standing around in groups in a bar-like environment, could consider INT. CAFE - BY POOL TABLE/VIDEO GAMES, CAFE - RESTROOM WAITING AREA, CAFE - POOL TABLE,AREA, CAFE - PAYPHONE AREA (as if any one uses them anymore) CAFE - AT BAR etc.

Sort of breaking things/groups to enable for easier visualization of events.

Good luck!
        " Don't really like writing. But I do like having written." Vince Gilligan, Breaking Bad.

Comment

You can just give a brief description of the room.

Then you can use the "Table 1, Table 2, Table 3" method.

If you really want to have the view as a "rolling view" from right to left, then just say so at the start:

The view of the room rolls from right to left, from table to table.

You understand, of course, that the film may not get done like that just because you write it that way.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

lots of ways to do it. Like Ronaldinho's example with mini-slugs but still not clear from initial post whether the groups are [sitting] at tables in a larger room or whether clusters of folks are milling about...

If it's not just a regular dining area with folks seated in a restaurant, still think it'd be helpful to break things out by specific reference to areas of the place. Either way though, mini-slugs definitely would work...
            " Don't really like writing. But I do like having written." Vince Gilligan, Breaking Bad.

Comment

If you're moving between groups of characters, I'd mini slug it with their names, since that's actually what you care about, not which table/where.

So after you gave the initial "INT. CAFE" slug and description of the whole room, I'd move around like this:

ON MIKE AND BETTY

Sitting close to each other at a table by the door.

MIKE
              Blah blah

BETTY
              Blah blah

ON HAROLD AND PAULA

Standing at the counter.

PAUAL
              Blah blah

You get the idea. Whatever you choose, if it's clear, it's fine.

Comment

brilliant, brilliant. Yep, scratch what I said-- that's what I'd do... On... people!

Comment

ANGLE ON is one approach. Often used in sitcom and animation.
                  If you really like it you can have the rights
                  It could make a million for you overnight

Comment

I agree with the mini-slugs examples. If the characters have already been established, then personally I'd use the ON <character/s>.

If not, and you want to introduce characters, then I'd personally use AT THE <geography> mini-slugs.

Or maybe a combination of the two. Lots of ways to do this depending on how you want the scene to play out and what storytelling/narrative flourishes you want to use.

Even hyper-stylize it by having us follow a waitress as she places a check on a table, stopping here to hear a convo between the characters as they draw out the cash, then the waitress collecting it and we follow her again to the cash register where the manager barks at her etc.

Just as long as it's all clear and not too confusing.

Comment

I would probably tie it to the main character at each table.

JOE'S TABLE

Joe sips his pinot, as Maria tries to belch the alphabet...

ALICE'S TABLE

Alice throws a box of tampons at George...

FRED'S TABLE

Fred carves at his wrist with a butter knife.

FRED: Why did I ever get into ****ing screenwriting!!!!?
                      Hell of a Deal -- Political Film Blog

Comment

still not clear whether folks milling about or seated, dining at different tables, or combination of both, although OP's 2nd post seems to suggest a little of both...

I like mini-slugs though either way.

Comment

Originally posted by MJ Scribe View Post
                          still not clear whether folks milling about or seated, dining at different tables, or combination of both, although OP's 2nd post seems to suggest a little of both...

I like mini-slugs though either way.
                          I wouldn't use a person to identify a place unless that person was going to be tied to that place for the entirety of the scene.

It would certainly get a bit confusing to have a "Fred's table" and to have Fred wandering around elsewhere or, even worse, paying a visit to to "Bob's Table."

But it can certainly work to identify particular locales with Mini-slugs -- THE DINING ROOM TABLE -- BY THE FRONT DOOR -- THE KITCHEN ISLAND -- things like that.

And you can also have a mini-slug that follows a particular person or people as they move around.

WITH BOB AND MARTHA

They are moving through the crowd, mingling.

NMS

Comment

Originally posted by nmstevens View Post
                            I wouldn't use a person to identify a place unless that person was going to be tied to that place for the entirety of the scene.

It would certainly get a bit confusing to have a "Fred's table" and to have Fred wandering around elsewhere or, even worse, paying a visit to to "Bob's Table."

But it can certainly work to identify particular locales with Mini-slugs -- THE DINING ROOM TABLE -- BY THE FRONT DOOR -- THE KITCHEN ISLAND -- things like that.

And you can also have a mini-slug that follows a particular person or people as they move around.

WITH BOB AND MARTHA

They are moving through the crowd, mingling.

NMS
                            I thought the same on describing locations in terms of functional spots in my earlier post. But you and Jeff's suggestion of using ON BOB AND MARTHA etc, as folks move around/congregate seems wise as well. Use of both as mini-slugs seems to offer clarity depending on what folks are doing.

Comment

Originally posted by MJ Scribe View Post
                              I thought the same on describing locations in terms of functional spots in my earlier post. But you and Jeff's suggestion of using ON BOB AND MARTHA etc, as folks move around/congregate seems wise as well. Use of both as mini-slugs seems to offer clarity depending on what folks are doing.
                              Yes, it's a traditional but still very effective way of isolating the camera shot when selecting individuals or small groups in a larger setting. If there's a crowd in a large scene, slugs like

ON BOB AND MARTHA

are very simple and unambiguous.
                              "Friends make the worst enemies." Frank Underwood

Comment

Working...
                              X