Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Movies & Television > Films
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2019, 12:36 AM   #1
JoeBanks

Default The Goldfinch

i loved Donna Tartt's novel. i understand it is challenging source material to adapt into a feature film (sprawling bildungsroman about a boy and his pilfered painting). but man does this thing miss the mark on just about every level. so badly that it made me totally reconsider whether i should have even liked the book in the first place. as much of a page-turner that odyssey was for me, this was like watching paint(ing) dry for 2 and 1/2 hours. you'd think that they might get even one thing right or at least true to the spirit of the novel but nope. it's all just bad.
JoeBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 01:57 PM   #2
lostfootage
Regular

Default Re: The Goldfinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBanks View Post
i loved Donna Tartt's novel. i understand it is challenging source material to adapt into a feature film (sprawling bildungsroman about a boy and his pilfered painting). but man does this thing miss the mark on just about every level. so badly that it made me totally reconsider whether i should have even liked the book in the first place. as much of a page-turner that odyssey was for me, this was like watching paint(ing) dry for 2 and 1/2 hours. you'd think that they might get even one thing right or at least true to the spirit of the novel but nope. it's all just bad.
I think I'll skip this one! Your summary parallels the reviews I've read.
lostfootage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 04:35 PM   #3
Friday

Default Re: The Goldfinch

When I saw the trailer, I had no idea what this one was about. Something about a stolen painting; his mom killed in an explosions. A bunch of arty shots. But, I'll check it out this week because I think that's how long it's going to stay there based on the box office.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote