Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Ingmar Bergman Films

I must write a 15 page thesis paper on films of Ingmar Bergman, and as such I would like to know what people think are his best. The topic I have decided on is his extensive use of symbolism.

Besides THE SEVENTH SEAL (an utter masterpiece) and WILD STRAWBERRIES, what films of his do you recommend for this essay? I need to watch and write about at least five. Earlier in the semester I wrote a ten page paper on THE SEVENTH SEAL alone, so I am quite confident writing this one will be a breeze, what with more films to discuss.

Thoughts? (Especially yours, SuperScribe, as I am sure you've seen most of his films at least four times apiece.)
    Last edited by 12916studios; 12-17-2010, 01:08 PM.

INT. PINEAPPLE - DAY

Re: Best Ingmar Bergamn Films

Scenes From A Marriage.

Comment

If I had to pick my five favorite from the Berg they would be

PERSONA
      THROUGH A GLASS DARKLY
      WINTER LIGHT
      THE VIRGIN SPRING
      THE SEVENTH SEAL

But I haven't seen all of his films.

Comment

You could write a sick essay on Persona. Do it.

Comment

Ratanplan, I am afraid I am only looking for films, not TV series, otherwise I would consider Fanny and Alexander. Unfortunately, however, I do not have that much time, as the paper is due next Wednesday.

We'll leave discussion of my lack of time management to another thread, though suffice it to say the paper will be done on time.

INT. PINEAPPLE - DAY

Comment

Seriously, you can squeeze a good five pages alone out of the meta-moment the celluloid burns in PERSONA, not to mention all of the psychic vampirism, duality, etc... the film is RICH.

Comment

Originally posted by Gwai Lo View Post
              If I had to pick my five favorite from the Berg they would be

PERSONA
              THROUGH A GLASS DARKLY
              WINTER LIGHT
              THE VIRGIN SPRING
              THE SEVENTH SEAL

But I haven't seen all of his films.
              Wonderful. Thank you.

Unfortunately I am also constrained by Netflix Instant watch. My current list is as follows, though subject to change depending on answers given in this thread:

THE SEVENTH SEAL (watched)
              SMILES OF A SUMMER NIGHT (currently watching)
              WILD STRAWBERRIES
              THE VIRGIN SPRING
              PERSONA (just added based off your recommendation, and it's Instant Watch availability)

INT. PINEAPPLE - DAY

Comment

You'd have enough material if you just went looking for his use of religious symbolism, which there's plenty of in Fanny & Alexander, Winter Light, Cries & Whispers, Through A Glass Darkly and The Silence.

But you could always use those for another paper.

One theme that seems to unite the films you've chosen so far is youth and death.

Best of luck with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Goat View Post
                  You'd have enough material if you just went looking for his use of religious symbolism, which there's plenty of in Fanny & Alexander, Winter Light, Cries & Whispers, Through A Glass Darkly and The Silence.

But you could always use those for another paper.

One theme that seems to unite the films you've chosen so far is youth and death.

Best of luck with it.
                  I might just use the theme of death in his films, since there is no religious symbolism (what I was initially going for) to speak of in SMILES OF A SUMMER NIGHT. The theme of death was my fall back, though, since I know from my research for my SEVENTH SEAL paper that death has always been an enormous part of Bergman's life. In fact, when he was six years old he used to go out to the graveyard and help the gravedigger bury corpses.

INT. PINEAPPLE - DAY

Comment

Originally posted by 12916studios View Post
                    I might just use the theme of death in his films, since there is no religious symbolism (what I was initially going for) to speak of in SMILES OF A SUMMER NIGHT. The theme of death was my fall back, though, since I know from my research for my SEVENTH SEAL paper that death has always been an enormous part of Bergman's life. In fact, when he was six years old he used to go out to the graveyard and help the gravedigger bury corpses.
                    I know you wanted to avoid it, but Fanny & Alexander is the one work where all his themes are tied together. Works like a key to all his other films, and life for that matter. There's a good reason for why he didn't bother directing films after that one (his later tv-movies were more like filmed theatre).

Smiles of a Summer Night is a nice film, but it's almost an anomaly compared to most of his other work.

You read his biography, Laterna Magica? It's a really good book if you're a fan.

Comment

Late to the game, but SEVENTH SEAL, WILD STRAWBERRIES, and PERSONA are the key Bergman films to me... even though I always throw in SMILES because it may be his most popular story. His realistic stuff (mostly for TV) can be compared to films by other directors - but PERSONA is just weird ass stuff...

- Bill
                      Free Script Tips:
                      http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Goat View Post
                        You read his biography, Laterna Magica? It's a really good book if you're a fan.
                        While I loved THE SEVENTH SEAL, I am not strictly speaking a fan -- just a college student who's gotta write a thesis paper for a film seminar class.

INT. PINEAPPLE - DAY

Comment

Mountain Goat made a great point about Fanny & Alexander, Bergman's Tempest, as it were, and I was shocked at that thread a month or so back on "Great Foreign Films" (or whatever) that lacked one Bergman title.

But given your theme, F&A is his tribute to Shakespeare, IMHO, with references to Hamlet (the ghost in the beginning), The Merchant of Venice (the kindly Jew who helps them escape) and The Tempest like characters in the end (I may be mixing up that play with another, but you get my point).

There's probably much more to explore here, but it's a rich film indeed.

See Woody Allen's interview on YouTube and his recommendations. They mirror Martell.

Comment

Originally posted by 12916studios View Post
                            If you're looking for religious symbolism you definitely need to check out Bergman's trilogy: THROUGH A GLASS DARKLY, WINTER LIGHT, THE SILENCE. They're all about the silence of god in some way. THE VIRGIN SPRING is also rife with religious symbolism. Plus, badass points if you mention LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT somewhere in your essay.

Comment

If you want to fuck shit up a bit and think outside the box (which I KNOW you love to do with these papers), watch The Sacrifice and write about how Bergman influenced Tarkovsky's vision in that film.

This will, of course, require that you watch a number of Bergman's films and do a little research.

Or talk to Teri.

Comment

Working...
                              X