Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Rite

So, saw it Sunday afternoon. I think I freaked the people next to me, by laughing at strange places etc., but ... I'm a screenwriter!

I liked it. Could have been done better, script needed work, and perhaps a few more scary bits. Hopkins had a moment where his acting blew me away, (involving a little girl - those who see it will know which one) but his performances do that. Hauer also had some very good moments.

So, needed a better script so those two actors could have had more challenging material. But, all in all, I enjoyed it.

Then, came home, took down the outside Xmas decorations, watched Seinfeld's Soup Nazi episode, and watched "The Unborn" on cable. An unplanned double feature of exorcism movies. The dark corners of the house are just a little too inhabited at the moment!

Anyway, compared to "The Unborn", "The Rite" was much more believable and atmospheric. Of course, the intended audience for "The Unborn" was probably teenage girls, and for "The Rite", an older audience.
    sigpic http://blip.fm/Peasblossom

Comment

Originally posted by peasblossom View Post
      Anyway, compared to "The Unborn", "The Rite" was much more believable and atmospheric. Of course, the intended audience for "The Unborn" was probably teenage girls, and for "The Rite", an older audience.
      While I haven't seen the former, I'll agree about the latter. With a PG-13, which seems skewed to an older, Catholic audience. While there's some crude language and some vaguely disturbing imagery, it plays respectful of the faith.

Basically, a horror film for folks that don't like horror films.
      "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

For me, it felt like a very pale imitation of The Excorcist (ie, a young priest who questions his faith is mentored by an experienced Excorcist, the Devil overcomes the older Priest which gives the young guy faith in God to battle a demon possessing a young girl, etc).

Not a bad movie but it says nothing new about the subject, not scary on any level and it's been done far better in previous films.

Anthony Hopkins is good as always but he's getting pretty "one note" in his performances and simply plays this one as Hannibal Lector in a robe (when he's possessed). Unfortunately, he'll be treading on Nic Cage turf soon if he doesn't start picking better films.

Comment

I can appreciate its artistic elements but isn't the point of horror... to be HORRIFYING?!!!
          Brown-Balled by the Hollywood Clika

Latino Heart Project's MEXICAN HEART...ATTACK!

Comment

That's like asking that a contemporary science fiction film actually have some scientific speculation in it.
            "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Signal30 View Post
              That's like asking that a contemporary science fiction film actually have some scientific speculation in it.
              True Dat.
              Brown-Balled by the Hollywood Clika

Latino Heart Project's MEXICAN HEART...ATTACK!

Comment

Working...
              X