No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Now This I'm Excited About

Originally posted by sc111 View Post
    Ummm.... Bridges of Madison County? Melodrama about Meryl Streep as an Italian war bride in the heartland.

My Cousin Vinny? Every stereotype you could think of rammed into one comedy.

It just seems to me -- in a country whose discovery is attributed to one Italian, and named after another Italian, there should be -- oh, I don't know -- a half dozen screen worthy films about Italians who are not in the Mafia?
    don't forget about the jersey shore freakshow.

Comment

Originally posted by nathanq View Post
      I agree with that, or at least on John Ghotti. If you look at what the man actually said/ believed, he was an awful racist, spewing a lot of hatred for blacks in particular, and doesn't deserve to be glorified with a film adaptation because of it.
      So Hollywood should only make biopics about people who were kind to animals and helped little old ladies cross the street? There are countless movies that glorify people who were racist, sexist, homophobic, adulterers, etc.
      "I was dreamin' when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray." - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by Furious Anjel View Post
        There are countless movies that glorify people who were racist, sexist, homophobic, adulterers, etc.

Yeah they do. But name me one ethnic group that's consistently represented with every possibly negative stereotype amplified to cartoon levels as much as Italians are in film, combined with a lack of any positive films to counterbalance. I can't think of one.
        Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Yeah they do. But name me one ethnic group that's consistently represented with every possibly negative stereotype amplified to cartoon levels as much as Italians are in film, combined with a lack of any positive films to counterbalance. I can't think of one.
          White middle class males. It's the only "safe"/ politically correct demographic sh!t on.

Comment

Originally posted by nathanq View Post
            White middle class males. It's the only "safe"/ politically correct demographic sh!t on.
            However, there are also films with white middle aged male protags doing something positive. You know - umm - the good guy? In the majority of films -- who's the good guy? Some anglo descent white guy named Jake or Jack.

It's estimated 1500 Italians fought in this country's Revolutionary War -- one fought alongside Jefferson and Paine -- and is credited with drawing up the plan that captured British in New York Harbor by cutting off their ocean escape. Anyone know his name? Probably not -- but I bet anyone can name a few real life Mafia dons glorifed in film (not to mention Vito Corleone).

An entire comany of New York Italian immigrants fought in the Civil War -- they were called Lincoln's Garibaldi Guard ... two Italians sign the Declaration of Independence... One of the seven men handpicked by Ben Franklin to attend the university Franklin founded was Italian...

Unfortunately, few know their names but everyone knows John Gotti.... ha!

And here's what I think is a screen-worthy WW2 story -- Gino Merli -- awarded the Congressional Medal of honor: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gino_J._Merli

EDITED to add:

I'm not demanding these other stories be told, but the world doesn't need another Mafia story.
            Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Aren't Japanese always either evil samurai or yakuza?

Speaking of which, anyone here like Beat Takeshi's earlier work?
              He's just released Outrage - looks like a return to form!
              Cufk, Tish, Sips.

Comment

you weren't around when black people went through decades of this. then they decided to take charge of their own stereotype representation and blaxploitation of the 70's reigned.

Comment

Might be a case of tunnel vision on your part. Every group in this country has a legit beef when it comes to negative portrayals in film. However, I don't think it's productive to engage in a game of "Who Has It Worse?"
                  "I was dreamin' when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray." - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by Grandmaster View Post
                    Aren't Japanese always either evil samurai or yakuza?
                    Someone never saw...Gung Ho!

Comment

Working...
                    X