Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bleeding the writer

I've been offered a quote-unquote writing job. The producer gave me the general concept, told me to write the feature the way I envisioned it, and they would produce it.

But they wanted me to take their concept, write a script on spec, and hand it in--and not get paid anything until first day of shooting. And because the concept was theirs, the script would be theirs, too.

Obviously, there's no guarantee the movie would get made, and I don't work for free (unless it's a spec script that I own until I sell), so I said thanks but no thanks.

I'm wondering how common these "spec jobs" are in the industry. Are there actually writers jumping at such "offers?" (I'm not in L.A. and don't hang with writers, so I haven't heard of this before.)

Re: Bleeding the writer

Usually, these "producers" and production companies expect a writer to spec the idea with NO GUARANTEE of production or payment at all.

They just hope that once the writer has given them a free draft, they can then MAYBE turn around and set it up. And if not - oh well, the writer's left with a useless draft they don't even own.

AND YES -- those "offers" are all too common these days. And it ain't just fly by nights either. It's practically the business model at places like Silver Pics, Circle of Confusion, etc...

Comment

It's pretty commonplace, however in the cases I know of, even though it was the production company's idea, the writer owns the script. That obviously paramount, as it gives them incentive to actually bust their asses to set it up and not say "oh well, we tried" as you could walk out the door and set up a project they developed with someone else.

Comment

I don't know how common this is actually. In all my development meetings, I have never once been pitched a project that didn't have development money behind it. Now some of these projects aren't necessarily real, viable or realistic to me but I have never been asked or nudged to explore a feature on spec.

Comment

Hasn't happened in any of my meetings, but I've heard it's really common. And I think you did the sane thing by turning it down, especially if you wouldn't even own the script afterwards. That's nuts.
          @ZOlkewicz - Don't follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. It's disconcerting to hear that this isn't uncommon. I don't blame the companies for doing this. Biz is biz, and if there's a market full of writers willing to work for free, they can take advantage of it.

But this cowboy ain't biting. It's hard enough to make money as a writer without signing up for short-term slavery. Gotta keep your self-respect.

Comment

I'm speccing for producers right now, on an idea we came up with together. They're legitimate producers with big credits and the last thing we worked on together is doing well, so I feel pretty good about it. Most importantly, I love the concept and would want to write it even without a producer attachment.
              QUESTICLES -- It's about balls on a mission.

Comment

Weeeellll, I've done something like this. I rewrote a director's script, made it a proper script rather than half-story, half-script. So it was his idea, his original script, and he had input during the rewrite. I put in a lot - extra characters, scenes, changed the direction of parts and so on, But it's his, and I have zero problem with that. It's the same deal too, when he gets paid, first day of shooting, so do I. It's not ideal, but when you're starting out, what is?
                Always choose cognac over cocaine -- Jon Lord

Comment

Sorry. Not trying to cast aspersions. What feels right for one may not feel right for another. I hope you both make wonderful movies. Best of luck with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill WiggleArrow View Post
                    Sorry. Not trying to cast aspersions. What feels right for one may not feel right for another. I hope you both make wonderful movies. Best of luck with it.
                    Nothing to apologize for. It's risky. My manager and I feel it's a risk worth taking, though.
                    QUESTICLES -- It's about balls on a mission.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but an idea (or concept) can't be owned by anyone unless that idea is expressed in a more concrete form, like an outline, treatment or script.

You can't copyright a logline, can you? Two completely different movies could be written from the same logline.
                      All the best,
                      Lee

Comment

Originally posted by LFGabel View Post
                        Correct me if I'm wrong, but an idea (or concept) can't be owned by anyone unless that idea is expressed in a more concrete form, like an outline, treatment or script.

You can't copyright a logline, can you? Two completely different movies could be written from the same logline.
                        Right.

Comment

I'm with Knaight - no aspersions cast, it's all good. And it would be nice to be paid up front. Next time, maybe.
                          Always choose cognac over cocaine -- Jon Lord

Comment

Originally posted by LFGabel View Post

True. And I'm willing to bet that some or most of the companies that do this are at least cobbling together some barebones treatments and registering them. (At least, I would, if I were them.) The threat of litigation is a powerful tool irrespective of whether a suit would be successful in court.

Comment

It's crap, it's unfair, it's precisely what our union is designed to prevent (I get this isn't WGA), and I've never heard of a good movie coming out of this kind of process.

Do not do this. You are devaluing yourself by letting others exploit you and your desire to see your work produced.

And I must say... anyone who asks for this kind of work process is a bottom-feeder.

Don't be bottom-food.

Comment

Working...
                              X