Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adapting scripts into a novel series

Jake Schuster, i'm going to be adapting one of my epic post-apocalyptic dystopian scripts into a novel series. starting with a book proposal. if you were so inclined to share one piece of advice as to how you did that, i would be grateful. and if you can't, that's cool, too.
    Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 03-18-2019, 04:59 AM.
    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Re: Adapting scripts into a novel series

Sure. Nothing I've written even approaches an epic post-apocalyptic dystopian story, but what I do first is turn the script inside-out and determine what is it really about?

And then I basically forget about everything else in the script, unless it can be fleshed out to some greater purpose. Right now I'm adapting another script of mine into a novel, viewing the Final Draft version on one side, and the prose work on the other. Because if a thriller script, if it's any good, has one outstanding quality, it really does have to be pacing. And when it translates into a novel, that pacing must be obeyed, though everything is being fleshed out. Time is more stretched. You don't have to hit the beats as steadily as in a script.

One of the great things about the novel is that your characters can achieve dimension: they can be contradictory and seem all the more human. In a script this can be done, but having the blank page of a novel before one gives you the ability to bring that character to life over many pages and chapters.

My 7th novel, The Drowning, was recently published. It began life as a script, and I realized that I could-and should-write it first as a novel, then, well, see if the film/TV rights are picked up. A twofer, to put it simply.

In the novel, the main character, who is not meant to be an attractive one-he's based on a camp counselor I had who, as in the novel, left me to drown when I was eight years old-can be given a greater life than in the script. He's not just "the bad guy," but someone grasping onto his lavish life, his beautiful family, and his reputation, while it seems someone from the past-the boy he'd left on a raft and who subsequently disappeared-has come back to torment and potentially ruin him.

Yet what I discovered in writing it as a novel is that this is one big gaslighting work. It's a mind-game. And it's also about the manipulations of art, especially cinema.

Some of the set pieces of the script translated perfectly into prose; but I could pace them differently by drawing them out and building the tension so that readers wouldn't want to put the book down. So I would urge you to read novels like the one you propose to write. What you've planned is huge-big set pieces-but character is what carries a book forward, what lets it pop into life, so you want to be sure you don't skimp on that aspect. Readers like to feel themselves rooting for what seems a real person.

And remember that there are lots of SF and fantasy writers mining this kind of territory, and now even literary novelists (of which I've always considered myself as one, even when writing in the thriller genre) are toying with dystopias and a post-apocalyptic world. Read those, too, because those authors are dealing, first and foremost, with character.

And good luck! Sometimes big dreams turn into huge realities.
    Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 03-18-2019, 04:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
      i'm going to be adapting one of my epic post-apocalyptic dystopian scripts into a novel series. starting with a book proposal.
      Sounds like an ambitious and fun endeavor! But I do have a question for you: did your agent or your publisher request a book series proposal? In my experience, they are very different things.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooper View Post
        Sounds like an ambitious and fun endeavor! But I do have a question for you: did your agent or your publisher request a book series proposal? In my experience, they are very different things.
        This is a very good point. Too many authors-even published ones-optimistically launch into a series, have volume one published, watch it die, then hear from their publisher that they're dropping him. Unless you have a contract for the series, as Cooper suggests, you're taking a risk that may not be worth the time and effort.

Make it a one-off with the potential for further material based on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooper View Post
          Hey Cooper:
          when my manager sent the feature out, the response was that it was too expensive because it's an original ip. a few made the suggestion to publish it as a graphic novel or novel first. of course, my manager at the time was attaching as a producer on the project. i'm not sure whether that may have or may not have had an impact on the passes.

it's a huge world that can support several novels with two different timelines. one of my strengths is world-building. i love the world. i love the characters and the many human issues and stories that can be told.

i received an option from a Line Producer on another big budget, well-known, film and he literally wanted to control everything right down to my personal journey. he wanted to take it to netflix, i'm not sure what happened, but it got me thinking about control over the rights.

i realized that this was something i can hold onto, i mean, it's not like anyone will be banging down my door to get an origina IP made from a noboy-- those are just facts.

so, the answer is "kind of."

i have a feature and a pilot. now that i have a better understanding of writing a pilot from some Masterclasses i've taken and the notes from The Black List reviews, i will rewrite the pilot to a smaller budget.

the feature is pretty solid. i could probably tweak a few things, but i do plan on rewriting the pilot to lower the budget which was the recommendation of The Black List readers after my next two specs are ready to market.

i'm not worried that it's an ambitious project (the novels), i know it is. i know the chances are slim to none, but that's not going to stop me from trying. Wasteland will have to be my passion project that i work on between projects, i guess.

of course, it could kill me first, haha!

i am hopeful to have two more specs ready in the next couple of months and i will market those to get a manager and hopefully some interest.
          Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 03-18-2019, 04:55 AM.
          "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by Jake Schuster View Post
            Sure. Nothing I've written even approaches an epic post-apocalyptic dystopian story, but what I do first is turn the script inside-out and determine what is it really about?

And then I basically forget about everything else in the script, unless it can be fleshed out to some greater purpose. Right now I'm adapting another script of mine into a novel, viewing the Final Draft version on one side, and the prose work on the other. Because if a thriller script, if it's any good, has one outstanding quality, it really does have to be pacing. And when it translates into a novel, that pacing must be obeyed, though everything is being fleshed out. Time is more stretched. You don't have to hit the beats as steadily as in a script.

One of the great things about the novel is that your characters can achieve dimension: they can be contradictory and seem all the more human. In a script this can be done, but having the blank page of a novel before one gives you the ability to bring that character to life over many pages and chapters.

My 7th novel, The Drowning, was recently published. It began life as a script, and I realized that I could-and should-write it first as a novel, then, well, see if the film/TV rights are picked up. A twofer, to put it simply.

In the novel, the main character, who is not meant to be an attractive one-he's based on a camp counselor I had who, as in the novel, left me to drown when I was eight years old-can be given a greater life than in the script. He's not just "the bad guy," but someone grasping onto his lavish life, his beautiful family, and his reputation, while it seems someone from the past-the boy he'd left on a raft and who subsequently disappeared-has come back to torment and potentially ruin him.

Yet what I discovered in writing it as a novel is that this is one big gaslighting work. It's a mind-game. And it's also about the manipulations of art, especially cinema.

Some of the set pieces of the script translated perfectly into prose; but I could pace them differently by drawing them out and building the tension so that readers wouldn't want to put the book down. So I would urge you to read novels like the one you propose to write. What you've planned is huge-big set pieces-but character is what carries a book forward, what lets it pop into life, so you want to be sure you don't skimp on that aspect. Readers like to feel themselves rooting for what seems a real person.

And remember that there are lots of SF and fantasy writers mining this kind of territory, and now even literary novelists (of which I've always considered myself as one, even when writing in the thriller genre) are toying with dystopias and a post-apocalyptic world. Read those, too, because those authors are dealing, first and foremost, with character.

And good luck! Sometimes big dreams turn into huge realities.
            Hi Jake Schuster:
            i was away on holiday for several days, so i apologize for not being able to respond to your very generous post sooner. thank you for taking the time and consideration of my question. i am grateful to you for sharing your experience and expertise.

i have novel software (Scrivner) which i used to break my last feature outline. just finished the first draft in 5 weeks. so, the idea of having the FD open beside it is a great idea and one that fits with my style of writing.

i am very much looking forward to being able to explore deeper characterizations through not only action and decision making, but also main character POVs. i still must do more research of POV, because it very well could change by chapter and also by whose scene is owned by a specific character. it's exciting to think about.

another great suggestion regarding reading similar novels. i have 5 that i will be using to study from. i will also read one of the GOT novels because i'm very interested in how to manage changing POVs.
            and yes, i can see how the character is much more important in a novel because of the way we, as the audience, wish to immerse ourselves in the character thoughts and emotions. i will keep that at the forefront.

again, i can't thank you enough for all of your insights and assistance. i was unable to write for about 18 months and am fortunate, as least for now, to be writing full time.

i have received a lot of advice from other writers here on DDP (regarding Wasteland: The Sixth State) and would like to extend my gratitude to their help and generosity as well. i still have every scrap of advice saved. this is a great community.

ciao~
            FA4
            Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 03-18-2019, 04:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X