Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im seeking an agent who represents animated films

I recently contacted a couple studios and they all told the same story about acquiring representation. The film I’m pitching is intended for CGI animation and I was wondering if anybody knew a couple agencies I can contact that are familiar with that territory. Thanks!
    Last edited by a knothole resident; 07-02-2007, 12:30 AM.

Re: Im seeking an agent who represents animated films

I think most features with CGI or animation in mind are made from within the studios themselves. Of what I understand, not many seek to buy any animation specs to begin with.

I would suggest Fox, Dreamworks, Warner and Disney...Since you didn't mention the studio you queried at.
    A talent for drama is not a talent for writing, but is an ability to articulate human relationships.
    Gore Vidal

"Aisatsu Yori Ensatsu"
    Money is better than compliments.

Comment

Originally posted by DMNY View Post
      I think most features with CGI or animation in mind are made from within the studios themselves. Of what I understand, not many seek to buy any animation specs to begin with.

I would suggest Fox, Dreamworks, Warner and Disney...Since you didn't mention the studio you queried at.
      Thanks for the swift reply. Those studios are my primary aim and I'm just trying to find a "contact person" or agent to represent my film. If youd like, I can PM you the details.

Comment

For what it's worth here's my previous post below with my 2 cents on my experience with animation studios.

Names that come to mind are Monteiro-Rose agency and managers Gotham Group and Animanagement.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
        I've met with dev. exes. at Dream Works, Sony, Disney, Fox, Nickelodeon, Universal and Warner TV animation. Some experiences are on my blog.

The dev. exec. for features at Disney told me that they have hundreds of artists and make one animated feature every 2-3 years so in all likelihood the idea will be generated in-house. This was the same for Blue Sky studios. So for features I'd say they're long shots. Who knows, they could be blow-offs because I don't have a big agent and I'm not an A lister or I don't own a 'property' (popular children's book etc).

Disney TV animation was more open to ideas and our material was in consideration there for a while.

Last time I met with Sony they were still establishing themselves and very eager to hear pitches. Nice guys too. I met Nate Hopper, the head of dev. a few times. Not sure what the current status is over there. I had an open door there but I just didn't have the time to keep on generating spec animation concepts. It's like throwing mud at the wall.

I met Michael La Chance over at Dream Works twice. Smart guy. He loved one of my ideas but he said it was more live-action. The other exec. liked another project but it was too similar to Shrek. You will hear that a lot in animation - we already have a project in dev.

Still, Michael gave me the impression of being open to new ideas as opposed to Disney and Fox/Blue Sky. Michael wrote that short with the birds that showed before Shrek (I think).

Nickelodeon. They were also very open to pitches. Looks like the guy I met is gone. Dorian Howard is there now, who I've met. She used to be with Mandeville Films.

I've met with Warner TV and Universal TV animation but they seemed like long shots in my mind.

I haven't had any contact with Pixar.

Animation on that level is a long shot because you have so few outlets and so little and highly expensive product but based on my experiences I would aim for DreamWorks, Nickelodeon (if applicable) and Sony. If TV go for Disney. I believe WB and Universal are more franchsise based.

I have an animation project but I'm trying to set it up outside Hollywood because I just realized what a lottery Hollywood animation was. Hey, who knows you may be lucky.

Oh yeah, you need to sort those rights out before you submit to studios.
        Blog: http://writinglounge.blogspot.com
        Email: kidcharlemagne108[at]yahoo[dot]co[uk]

"What is your greatest ambition? To become immortal and then die." - Breathless

Comment

Wow, thats a lot of information there kidcharlemagne! I very much appreciate your detailed, sincere response to my query and Ill take it in consideration. Regarding the rights issue I currently had, I recently contacted the trademark department at the VG company and his exact words were "...find a studio that expresses an interest and we'll accept your idea." In my opinion, I think that's implying that I should acquire a studio first, by delivering my pitch to them. In any case, after all the turmoil I went through today contacting a list of studios, I basically recieved the same response from all them. "You need an agent or a contact person." In your post I noticed that youve been in contact with a personel from Dreamworks, which is actually one of the top companies on my list Id love to submit to. Is it possible you can provide his contact information or even referal?

And to keep this confidential, I can private message you my concept and maybe it would further any decision on your part, cause at this point, I'm seriously at a frustrating cross roads here Thanks again!

Comment

As Kid said, Monteiro-Rose agency and Gotham are both soft on animation, but I'd consider pitching it LIVE ACTION to the masses, then animation to the animation type agents.

If that's possible that is

EJ

Comment

As I recall you run a design/production company?

I would pitch yourself as a 'group' or animation company/team/associates/outfit/prod. co./whatever rather than a lonley writer... and get yourself an LA based entertainment lawyer for the submissions.

It's been 3 years since I did the rounds at the animation studios so ....

A quick look on Film Tracker tells me Nate Hopper is still there at Sony and Paul Gerard is DOD - nice guys - met with both - I would try and get to Paul or see if you can get an ent. lawyer to submit for you.

Michael LaChance is now an ICM agent it appears! I guess he's the man you're looking for! Hey, wait a minute - doesn't CE work for ICM?

It lists Kristine Belson as DOD at DW Animation - if my memory serves me right she used to be with Jim Henson's company.

They have these folks as dev. execs. at DW - try them.

Karen Foster Development Executive Chris Kuser Development Executive

Re: the rights - can't you get some sort of shopping agreement/option out of these guys? They're not giving you much to run with right now.

Comment

Hey kidcharlemagne, check you PMs. Thanks.

Comment

What a stressful day its been. I contacted the head of the trademark department at the VG company, and we had alot to discuss. Basically, the company wont reliquish the rights UNLESS a studio comes on board. However, I explained to him that the studio requires that I have the rights and representation (agent) for them to approve the concept So....Considering that this is a catch 22, I'm honestly bewildered at what to do at this point.

I worked really hard on this project for the last year, and I would hate for the script to idley sit there on my table. Advice anyone??

Comment

The only advice I can offer is something you may not want to do, and that's a massive page 1 rewrite to remove the videogame element as much as possible to avoid legal entanglement. Further, if possible, try to present it as a live-action spec, it might get more legs that way.

Not knowing more about your screenplay, I can't offer more, to say nothing of the fact that what I offered might not even be the best option.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by kidcharlemagne View Post
                      Michael wrote that short with the birds that showed before Shrek (I think).
                      Beautiful post, kid.
                      Were you thinking of Michael's work featured before Monster, inc. ?
                      A talent for drama is not a talent for writing, but is an ability to articulate human relationships.
                      Gore Vidal

"Aisatsu Yori Ensatsu"

Comment

DMNY - Yeah, the short with the birds that was him wasn't it?

KHR - Can the company at least give you the okay in writing to submit the project?

Comment

Kid, my bad, Michael is working for Dreamworks and not Pixar.
                          "For the Birds" (one of my fav animated shorts) was made by Pixar and I don't think Lachance had worked on it.
                          For the record, I am much more focused on anime (not animated) series than anything else when I'm not writing on featured specs.
                          Knot, from my understanding, your stress would be alleviated if the studio accepted to get you along to write about that vg. If not, it will fall into the 'exercise' script category more than anything else. I would still write and finish the script just in case. At the very least, it is a sample of your writing.
                          Gore Vidal

"Aisatsu Yori Ensatsu"

Comment

I dont think a live action version of this movie would work since the characters are, well......anthropomorhpic animals.

Comment

DMNY - You're right!

It's this:

THE MADAGASCAR PENGUINS IN A CHRISTMAS CAPER (2005)

That's the short that he wrote.

Anyway, according to film tracker he's now an ICM agent.

Comment

Working...
                              X