Which script reader is best for your buck?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which script reader is best for your buck?

Hi,

Wondering if you were going to pay for notes... who do you use?
    I know Scriptgal is great... Any others out there worth paying for notes? Who do you recommend?
    Last edited by gs1979; 11-02-2015, 09:51 PM.

Re: Which script reader is best for your buck?

Touch base with TitanCreed. Good notes and was very cheap. Mechanic and others are very good, but TitanCreed is the value play, imo.

Comment

I highly recommend this guy ----> [email protected] His notes are spot on and he has a fairly fast turnaround. His rate is crazy low, I think $25 or so, but the rate is definitely not indicative of the quality of his notes. Plus, he's a reader for a rather huge festival. I'm not going to say which one as I'm not sure if he wants that broadcast on here but if you email him he will tell you himself. Anyway, I have nothing to gain by recommending this guy, just a really good script reader who I thought should get some notice on here. Hope that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by ClintW3 View Post
        Touch base with TitanCreed. Good notes and was very cheap. Mechanic and others are very good, but TitanCreed is the value play, imo.
        I'm going to echo this... I signed up for Titan's $100 special. Usually he gets notes back to you quickly (3 days or less), but he was occupied with life, and gave me a discount on that already affordable price. And he didn't take THAT long to get the notes to me. Pages and pages of thoughtful criticism, helped to shape a much better story.
        FADE IN:
        PERSEVERANCE OVERCOMES ADVERSITY
        NEVER FADE OUT.

Comment

Originally posted by Jai Brandon View Post
          I'm going to echo this... I signed up for Titan's $100 special. Usually he gets notes back to you quickly (3 days or less), but he was occupied with life, and gave me a discount on that already affordable price. And he didn't take THAT long to get the notes to me. Pages and pages of thoughtful criticism, helped to shape a much better story.

I'm going to triple echo this.. [email protected]

I've been meaning to do a big ups post for him, who along with another member of this board have helped me in moving my recent script along. Very on point and lengthy notes at an unbeatable price.

Communication was good and he doesn't even charge you until after you read his review... If that's not confidence in your work then I don't know what is.
          "We're going to be rich!" - 1/2 hr COMEDY written/directed/edited by me, I also act in it.
          SUBTITLED
          Episode 1 (Beef pills)
          Episode 2 (African commercial)
          Episode 3 (Brenda's rescue)

Comment

Thank you for the info. Will def check those out.

Cheers.

Comment

I will definitely check this out. Thanks.

I had a bad experience with a popular site (I will not mention name). My screenplay is non-linear, I started at the middle but after a dramatic war scene I mentioned in the following scene, A YEAR AGO, the reader obviously missed. She commented that my plot did not make sense and asked questions that indicated she obviously did miss the A YEAR AGO flashback.

I checked her credentials. She is very young and her short films are non-commercial art films which subject matters, plots and dialogues are very pretentious. She's from a school that is known for left-leaning activism, like if your subject is not about global warming or gender equality, it is as if they don't matter much. That made me think that there's no way she could be credible. Of course, I could be wrong. But I did feel robbed, honestly.

In fairness, she made other good points I'm taking into account for my rewrite. I just think when sites hire readers they should carefully vet, because they are like gatekeepers and it is not cheap to have your script get read. Just my opinion.

Comment

Script Sergeant is very good value for money. $1 per page of script. And fantastic notes. Very in depth and thoughtful.

http://www.themthorntons.com/scriptsarge/

Comment

Originally posted by evan_g View Post
                  Script Sergeant is very good value for money. $1 per page of script. And fantastic notes. Very in depth and thoughtful.

http://www.themthorntons.com/scriptsarge/
                  I'm buddies with Jason. He's an honest, reliable human being who gives a sh*t about story and loves film more than anyone I know. Just wanted to add that.

Comment

There's going to be a few different opinions on this, but for me there's no one better than Andrew Hilton (Screenplay Mechanic).

First, the numbers - Has evaluated somewhere in the neighborhood of 8000+ scripts over the past decade or so. He has more recommendations over the last five years on this board than any one else by far.

Second, the quality - Has worked in development with every major studio in Hollywood. He has a large number of working writers (at very high level) that use him on an ongoing basis. Jeff Lowell and a number of the other pros that frequent this board have recommended him. Third, he has sold and optioned a number of scripts over the past decade and currently has one, if not two, active projects with a major studio.

Third, he's approachable - He works with you. He'll happily answer questions and make suggestions after you receive your notes.

Fourth -- He gives a discount to DDP members.

The only downside is that he's usually booked at least thirty days in advance. There's a reason for that.
                    If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.
                    Dave Barry

Comment

I should have gone to this site first, cld hav saved money and got helped. As soon as I've finished rewriting I'll seek recommendations above. It hurts to get told by college grad that ur screenplay sucks which is precisely what first drafts are submitted for. Thanks guys.

Comment

There's a product called "Unguentine" and there's also the Aloe Vera plant to help you soothe the stings and burns of slings and arrows, or this:

“Sometimes I write drunk and revise sober, and sometimes I write sober and revise drunk. But you have to have both elements in creation — the Apollonian and the Dionysian, or spontaneity and restraint, emotion and discipline.” -- Peter De Vries, from his novel Reuben, Reuben.
                        “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by Centurio View Post
                          There's going to be a few different opinions on this, but for me there's no one better than Andrew Hilton (Screenplay Mechanic).

First, the numbers - Has evaluated somewhere in the neighborhood of 8000+ scripts over the past decade or so. He has more recommendations over the last five years on this board than any one else by far.

Second, the quality - Has worked in development with every major studio in Hollywood. He has a large number of working writers (at very high level) that use him on an ongoing basis. Jeff Lowell and a number of the other pros that frequent this board have recommended him. Third, he has sold and optioned a number of scripts over the past decade and currently has one, if not two, active projects with a major studio.

Third, he's approachable - He works with you. He'll happily answer questions and make suggestions after you receive your notes.

Fourth -- He gives a discount to DDP members.

The only downside is that he's usually booked at least thirty days in advance. There's a reason for that.
                          +1. Drew's also brilliant.

Comment

More votes for Drew!

His points are spot on and he's super flexible. I'm sure I was driving him crazy with scheduling on a script my partner and I are still working on but he was completely understanding. And if you're talking best for buck, Drew is very reasonable. I'm definitely taking future scripts to him.

Comment

I used both Drew (Mechanic) and Amanda (scriptgal) to get fresh eyes on a script I wrote for a client.

They both gave me useful notes, but I found Amanda's more useful.

I also do screenplay notes myself. Samples and rates on request -- but I'm not the budget option.
                              "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

Working...
                              X