Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ScriptNotes - Getting a full script read off of three pages

I have to say, anyone who can get a pro to read his full script based on three pages is doing something right. A ScriptNotes first.

http://johnaugust.com/2013/god-doesnt-need-addresses

Did BenW's premise of "The Answerer" remind anyone of the "Mystic Seer" from the TZ episode Nick of Time?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_of...ilight_Zone%29

Bad YouTube quality:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_Rzyg5UJhY

Kudos to Ben (if he's a member of this forum) on getting the read.

Re: ScriptNotes - Getting a full script read off of three pages

Poor Stewart. I bet the Three Page Challenge submissions are about to explode.

Comment

just fyi... it's Stuart

Comment

Originally posted by karsten View Post
        I have to say, anyone who can get a pro to read his full script based on three pages is doing something right.
        Absolutely agree

Congrats to the writer, in all seriousness.

Comment

Re: "This week we look at four entries, including one that Craig likes so much he can't wait to read the whole script."

Which script was he referring to?

Comment

Originally posted by socalwriter1 View Post
            Re: "This week we look at four entries, including one that Craig likes so much he can’t wait to read the whole script."

Which script was he referring to?
            "The Answerer" by BenW -- the one that I likened to the TZ episode "Nick of Time," in my original post (based especially on Mr. Mazin's speculation as to how the premise might likely play out). Direct link here:

http://johnaugust.com/Assets/BenW.pdf

Comment

I'm not all that keen on the premise (if that indeed is the premise), but I gotta say...these three pages are great.

We all have our subjective opinions, but in my entirely objective opinion, what separates these three pages from countless others we've read on here is this: confidence.

Ben W. knows what he's doing. Now, we may not like the direction this thing goes in, or we may not even like the premise, but the evidence is there that Ben W. knows where he's going. I will follow Ben W. in the hopes that he's driving us to safety as opposed to over the cliff, but it's quite clear he knows what he's doing.

Comment

Craig wanted to read it because he used to have a similar idea and wanted to see how Ben was gonna play it out.

John didn't because he didn't have this attachment to the idea/premise.

Comment

Whatever the reason, this will work out very well for Ben. Craig's notes are great. As are his contacts.

Speaking from experience, this will be huge for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief View Post
                    Craig wanted to read it because he used to have a similar idea and wanted to see how Ben was gonna play it out.
                    Doesn't matter. Those pages are still far and away better than the first three of anything posted here in awhile.

Comment

Those pages are craaaaaaazy good.

Comment

Jealous?

Comment

Originally posted by ctp View Post
                          Jealous?
                          Of course.

Jealousy is what drives this industry.

But I stick to what I said.

Famous people influence their followers. If he said it was the worst three pages he has read we would be looking for flaws rather than merits.

Font is wrong. Nothing happens. Not compelling. Not entertaining. Doesn't tell us what the character is like. Not enough parentheticals. etc.

Comment

Of course.

I would avoid sweeping generalizations of what drives tens of thousands of people to do their jobs.

Comment

Of course.

But I stick to what I said.

Famous people influence their followers. If he said it was the worst three pages he has read we would be looking for flaws rather than merits.
                              I think I may have listened to one August/Mazin podcast, and I probably didn't even get all the way through that one.

Honestly, 'cause I'm such an ass, I was kinda hoping those three pages weren't good, and I could raise a stink...

But they are good. And not recognizing that, or implying someone thinks the pages are good to curry favor, or that jealousy is what drives writers indicates a lack of awareness in this craft that you want to be a part of.

If you really think those three pages aren't good, then there's no hope for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X