Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Loading

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Movies & Television > Films
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2016, 07:55 PM   #71
Madbandit
Member
 
Madbandit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 4,341
Default Re: Ghostbusters Trailer

After seeing the trailers (ugh) and reading the spoilers (double ugh), I came with the impression of this reboot is nothing more than a cinematic essay on feminism disguised as a goofy sci-fi/horror comedy, which I won't bother to pay to see. Am I some geeky, woman-hating, Donald Trump-loving skunk? No. I'm a geeky, African-American, Jack Kennedy Democrat male who likes women (yet I haven't found the right woman for me) who thinks for himself. I don't have friends, but I have myself to deal with.

It's strange that Feig, et al, feels that geeks are misogynistic losers when there hasn't been any real, concrete proof. If a male geek/nerd/dork isignored by a woman, it's that said woman doesn't want him as a possible mate. The same goes for a female geek as well. Being a geek, male or female, isn't bad, but making male geeks, who are your potential audience, isn't smart business. If Feig was smart, emphasis on SMART, he would have two men and two ladies as the leads, so both sexes would have been pleased and the reboot would have made more money. Instead, Feig got mad because the film wasn't pitched well, and the public got mad. This is what happens when you put identity politics before entertaining the public with a solid film.
__________________
"A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it. -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore
Madbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:10 PM   #72
UpandComing
Member
 
UpandComing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,429
Default Re: Ghostbusters Trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madbandit View Post
It's strange that Feig, et al, feels that geeks are misogynistic losers when there hasn't been any real, concrete proof. If a male geek/nerd/dork isignored by a woman, it's that said woman doesn't want him as a possible mate. The same goes for a female geek as well. Being a geek, male or female, isn't bad, but making male geeks, who are your potential audience, isn't smart business.
He never said all geeks are misogynists or losers. He said that ""Geek culture is home to some of the biggest *******s I've ever met in my life." And considering GamerGate; the consistent outpouring of rage whenever a comic book character is cast with a minority (Johnny Storm, Nick Fury); and the outrage over the mere announcement of an upcoming all-female Ghostbusters, I'd say he has some evidence to back that up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madbandit View Post
If Feig was smart, emphasis on SMART, he would have two men and two ladies as the leads, so both sexes would have been pleased and the reboot would have made more money. Instead, Feig got mad because the film wasn't pitched well, and the public got mad. This is what happens when you put identity politics before entertaining the public with a solid film.
You mean, if he was smart, he would've catered to the baby-men who can't handle the idea of a group of women fighting ghosts? No, he would've only done that if he was cowardly, because it would be surrendering to sexist tendencies. It bears repeating, you don't need a d**k to be a Ghostbuster.
__________________
I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.- Peter De Vries
UpandComing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:37 PM   #73
omjs
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 501
Default Re: Ghostbusters Trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpandComing View Post
He never said all geeks are misogynists or losers. He said that ""Geek culture is home to some of the biggest *******s I've ever met in my life." And considering GamerGate; the consistent outpouring of rage whenever a comic book character is cast with a minority (Johnny Storm, Nick Fury); and the outrage over the mere announcement of an upcoming all-female Ghostbusters, I'd say he has some evidence to back that up.
Not to mention all the racist **** that Leslie Jones has been hit with on Twitter. That's been blowing up since the movie released.

You don't have to be a bigot to dislike the film by any means (seems like most unbiased people are saying it's just, you know, OK), but the fact that so many awful, bigoted people have been so vocal about it means that the whole thing is tainted at this point.

Also, isn't it doing decently well for what it is? It's not tanking or anything. The supposed "identity politics" aren't substantially hurting it so far.
omjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:42 PM   #74
Vance
User
 
Vance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 176
Default Re: Ghostbusters Trailer

It's fair to say that Feig reacted badly, even childishly, to how people were acting.

But it's also fair to say people were acting very violently and idiotically. Yeah, aspects of this film veer clumsily into the early 90s brand of girl power that we now consider clunky and inelegant. But before people knew anything, there was an incredible outpouring of inane rage over the fact that it was a film starring women in what were previously male roles.

It wasn't a big deal, but the internet decided to make it one.
Vance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:52 PM   #75
UpandComing
Member
 
UpandComing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,429
Default Re: Ghostbusters Trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by omjs View Post
Also, isn't it doing decently well for what it is? It's not tanking or anything. The supposed "identity politics" aren't substantially hurting it so far.
A $46 million opening is great for a comedy. The only problem is it cost $144 million to make (and I believe the marketing budget was $100 million), meaning it will have to keep doing brisk business to turn a profit. An interesting article at Vulture says that Sony was investing in it heavily as part of a potential movie universe, like what Marvel has, but I think they should've kept costs low for the first installment just in case.
__________________
I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.- Peter De Vries
UpandComing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 03:16 AM   #76
FoxHound
Member
 
FoxHound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,310
Default Re: Ghostbusters Trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpandComing View Post
You mean, if he was smart, he would've catered to the baby-men who can't handle the idea of a group of women fighting ghosts? No, he would've only done that if he was cowardly, because it would be surrendering to sexist tendencies. It bears repeating, you don't need a d**k to be a Ghostbuster.
I can't stress this enough, but completely flipping the gender script of a previous blockbuster -- men to women -- is about the most feminist, man-hating sounding thing you can do to a movie. This film was screwed from the get-go.

Contrast that with original films. Sucker Punch starred four female leads. That's how it was intended. It got ZERO HATE. In fact, I love this film for its leading women. A lot of men do. Had its story not been God awful, I bet it could have been a hit.
__________________
I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.
FoxHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 03:41 AM   #77
Madbandit
Member
 
Madbandit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 4,341
Default Re: Ghostbusters Trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpandComing View Post
He never said all geeks are misogynists or losers. He said that ""Geek culture is home to some of the biggest *******s I've ever met in my life." And considering GamerGate; the consistent outpouring of rage whenever a comic book character is cast with a minority (Johnny Storm, Nick Fury); and the outrage over the mere announcement of an upcoming all-female Ghostbusters, I'd say he has some evidence to back that up.
A lot of subcultures have a bunch of a**holes, but all Feig could have done was to take the high ground and IGNORE THE CRITICISM. As for Gamergate, it's nothing more than a consumer backlash movement against video game reviewers who are against aggressive masculinity/sexuality in video games. The reviewers panicked, calling their critics misogynistic. As for minority casting, I know Nick Fury and Johnny Storm are white, but I also know there are African-American superheroes who can hold their ground, and should get more of a spotlight.



Quote:
Originally Posted by UpandComing View Post
You mean, if he was smart, he would've catered to the baby-men who can't handle the idea of a group of women fighting ghosts? No, he would've only done that if he was cowardly, because it would be surrendering to sexist tendencies. It bears repeating, you don't need a d**k to be a Ghostbuster.

No. Calling guys "baby-men" doesn't help your argument. When I posted the reasonable, equality idea that there should have been two men and two women as the leads, you got on your high s***-horse about sexism, which is a problem, but it doesn't exist everywhere. The original 1984 film wasn't "anti-women". It was a dumb, sci-fi comedy that a lot of guys and some women liked. Not every woman HAS to like everything men are interested in as much as not every men HAS to like everything women are interested in.Hell, not every man thinks the same and not every woman thinks the same. People are so obsessed with identity, they forget about individualism and try to project their paranoid anxieties on everyone else. I don't need a movie to tell me I have to be nice to women and, with the many societal advantages (and better movies) out there, not every woman HAS to see this film.
__________________
"A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it. -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore
Madbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 03:47 AM   #78
Madbandit
Member
 
Madbandit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 4,341
Default Re: Ghostbusters Trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxHound View Post
I can't stress this enough, but completely flipping the gender script of a previous blockbuster -- men to women -- is about the most feminist, man-hating sounding thing you can do to a movie. This film was screwed from the get-go.

Contrast that with original films. Sucker Punch starred four female leads. That's how it was intended. It got ZERO HATE. In fact, I love this film for its leading women. A lot of men do. Had its story not been God awful, I bet it could have been a hit.
It made $89 million against its $82 million budget. Not glamorous, but it made its money back, and it has a cult following. I liked the film a lot for having FIVE female leads in a video game narrative that appeals to both males and females.
__________________
"A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it. -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore
Madbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:17 AM   #79
kintnerboy
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,488
Default Re: Ghostbusters Trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance View Post
It's fair to say that Feig reacted badly, even childishly, to how people were acting.
He did react horribly, by deciding to go on the offensive from day one, instead of just taking the high road and remembering what he was supposed to be doing-- promoting a silly piece of summertime fluff.

I'm putting the blame on his PR people, who probably tricked him into believing that the few thousand social justice activists who spend their lives whoring for attention on Twitter in any way represented the opinions (or cares) of the other 300 million Americans.

Then again, part of me feels bad for him. I can't imagine what it must be like to go out and do radio and tv and red carpets and podcasts where every single person is shoving a microphone in your face in hopes that you'll make one tiny verbal misstep that can be used to fuel another 24 hour outrage cycle.

Why bother?
kintnerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:55 AM   #80
UpandComing
Member
 
UpandComing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,429
Default Re: Ghostbusters Trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxHound View Post
I can't stress this enough, but completely flipping the gender script of a previous blockbuster -- men to women -- is about the most feminist, man-hating sounding thing you can do to a movie. This film was screwed from the get-go.

Contrast that with original films. Sucker Punch starred four female leads. That's how it was intended. It got ZERO HATE. In fact, I love this film for its leading women. A lot of men do. Had its story not been God awful, I bet it could have been a hit.
Hollywood flips with scripts on reboots all the time. That's why they're called "reboots" -- it indicates that there is something new. The original "21 Jump Street" show had an Asian guy and a black woman as part of the core team of detectives. The movie reboot has a core team of guess what -- two white guys. Is that black-person hating? Asian-hating? Woman-hating? No, it's just a different spin on the original for a modern audience.

Making the gender-switch for Ghostbusters wasn't automatically "man-hating" -- it was just trying something different. If you think it was "man-hating", then it shows that you think that the mere presence of women where men used to be equals a problem -- which means, guess what -- you really don't know how much of a sexist you are.
__________________
I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.- Peter De Vries

Last edited by UpandComing : 07-20-2016 at 09:12 AM.
UpandComing is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Done Deal Pro

eXTReMe Tracker