Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nicholl 2015...

Sounds like a good deal to me... Now if only I could make QF in Nicholl. Always get the 2 positive read thing, but not the next step.
    www.JustinSloanAuthor.com

http://www.CreativeWritingCareer.com
    http://www.MilitaryVeteransinCreativeCareers.com

Twitter: @JustinMSloan

Want a free book?

Comment

Originally posted by justin View Post
      Yes, always hard to know what will happen when you try something new. I think the principle of making the entry fees cover the reading costs is a fair one, so I would have raised the entry fees enough to do this, then added an additional amount to cover the development/admin cost of providing the notes.

People who didn't want notes could then have checked a box to opt out of them and get a small discount on the total fee. I think this would have resulted in a very hight take up rate, but who knows?
      We didn't want to add $20 to each entry fee level, which is probably what it would have been. We decided that the default should be the competition, with reader comments as an extra.

We'd rather entrants be pro-active to select reader comments rather than to select opt-out. Plus comments can easily be added later, whereas returning comments fees later would have meant individual credit card processing per late opt-out. Or wouldn't have been allowed, which would result in some disgruntled entrants ("But I didn't seen the opt-out choice").

No matter what, this is a trial year - and things could change in the future.

Comment

Greg:

Let's cut to the chase. How much would it cost to disqualify everyone who writes better than me?

I could go $830 and throw in (maybe) a Craftsman lawn tractor if you're interested. I swear to God I won't say anything. Just think about it. -- K?

Thanks in advance and I look forward to winning.
        Last edited by AE35-Unit; 01-17-2015, 04:39 PM.
        We gain our innocence by taking yours.

Comment

Originally posted by AE35-Unit View Post
          Greg:

Let's cut to the chase. How much would it cost to disqualify everyone who writes better than me?
          If you have to ask the price . . .

Comment

The Nicholl comments posted can be found here:

http://theblackboard.blcklst.com/for...ip-notes-2014/

Comment

Originally posted by gregbeal View Post

A tad early to say the least, but right now reader comments are about 1/5 of entries.
              I'm astounded it's only 1/5. Only $40 for notes from at least two pro readers -- for the contest that matters most? That's a damn good deal.

Do 80% of newbie screenwriters think they have nothing to learn from pro feedback, or are they just cheap?
              "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

I'm confused - does this apply to our entries from last year, or do you pay when you enter the contest (so 2015 on)?
                www.JustinSloanAuthor.com

http://www.CreativeWritingCareer.com
                http://www.MilitaryVeteransinCreativeCareers.com

Twitter: @JustinMSloan

Want a free book?

Comment

Originally posted by stainjm View Post
                  I'm confused - does this apply to our entries from last year, or do you pay when you enter the contest (so 2015 on)?
                  From earlier in the thread:
                  As noted in the earlier posts, one major change for 2015 is that the Nicholl competition is offering reader comments to all entrants. Selecting reader comments costs $40 per entry, is optional and will not affect an entry during the competition in any way.
                  So, no, it doesn't apply to last year.

Comment

Originally posted by LauriD View Post
                    I'm astounded it's only 1/5. Only $40 for notes from at least two pro readers -- for the contest that matters most? That's a damn good deal.

Do 80% of newbie screenwriters think they have nothing to learn from pro feedback, or are they just cheap?
                    As Greg as pointed out, you do not get notes for the $40, only comments. I was fortunate enough to get one set of comments on a script that made the top 15% but didn't make the QFs. The reader clearly liked my script, and that was good to know, but the comments were of no practical help, since they were entirely positive. The comments from the readers who didn't like my script might have been useful (can't tell as I didn't receive them), but I think there's a danger entrants will feel let down if they are expecting notes rather than a few paragraphs of observations.

Someone on this board was offering notes for $30 with a quick turn around time, but I've never used their service so can't say how good they are. Screenplayreaders will give good and quite lengthy notes for $80

Comment

As Greg as pointed out, you do not get notes for the $40, only comments. I was fortunate enough to get one set of comments on a script that made the top 15% but didn't make the QFs. The reader clearly liked my script, and that was good to know, but the comments were of no practical help, since they were entirely positive. The comments from the readers who didn't like my script might have been useful (can't tell as I didn't receive them), but I think there's a danger entrants will feel let down if they are expecting notes rather than a few paragraphs of observations.
                      Exactly - regarding reader comments rather than exhaustive notes.

One difference for this year is that you would have received two additional reader comments (since your script was triple-read last year). And advancing to the quarterfinals means five-to-six reader comments.

Plus, given the comment fee, we're going to require our readers to provide a little more detail in their comments.

Comment

Exactly - regarding reader comments rather than exhaustive notes.

One difference for this year is that you would have received two additional reader comments (since your script was triple-read last year). And advancing to the quarterfinals means five-to-six reader comments.

Plus, given the comment fee, we're going to require our readers to provide a little more detail in their comments.
                        I'm assuming, since comments can be purchased after scripts have been read and marked, that the extra detail will appear in the comments on all scripts whether comments have been purchased at the time of entry or not. Is this the case?

Just got some notes back on a script I thought was a sure thing for one of this year's Nicholl Fellowships - an emphatic PASS. Still, on the bright side, it's saved me wasting $40 and has given me another chance to get it right before the deadline. So, although I probably will end up buying at least one set of Nicholl comments, I still think notes prior to entry are a better investment if my tight budget means I have to choose one or other. (And before someone makes the comment that $40 is less than they leave as a tip in Starbucks, I will make the comment that $40 is more than I spend on food in a week - and, no, I don't live in the US!)

Comment

I received comments sent to me by the Nicholl Administration on my Semifinalist screenplays last year and the year before. These were comments, not "notes." The comments were less about offering critical advice than about expressing what kind of impression the screenplays made on the reader.

For me, this was fascinating. As writers, we all want to know how readers (especially contest readers) respond to our writing. To have contest readers say they were brought to tears, or that they found a screenplay to be a terrific read -- that's valuable. It's also valuable to know that a another reader found the writing a little too precious. These are honest responses. These are the notes behind the "notes." Critical notes try to couch impressions in more formal, didactic terms. You won't get the "it made me cry" or "I couldn't put it down."

I don't know how writers paying for comments is going to affect the spontaneous or off-the-cuff nature of those comments going forward. Perhaps the readers will feel they need to offer more formal responses?

Late Night Writer

Comment

I'm assuming, since comments can be purchased after scripts have been read and marked, that the extra detail will appear in the comments on all scripts whether comments have been purchased at the time of entry or not. Is this the case?
                            Yes, that's true. Scripts will be treated as equally as possible throughout the competition - and will not be identified at any time to the readers as receiving or not receiving comments.

Comment

Originally posted by LateNightWriter View Post
                              I received comments sent to me by the Nicholl Administration on my Semifinalist screenplays last year and the year before. These were comments, not "notes." The comments were less about offering critical advice than about expressing what kind of impression the screenplays made on the reader.

For me, this was fascinating. As writers, we all want to know how readers (especially contest readers) respond to our writing. To have contest readers say they were brought to tears, or that they found a screenplay to be a terrific read -- that's valuable. It's also valuable to know that a another reader found the writing a little too precious. These are honest responses. These are the notes behind the "notes." Critical notes try to couch impressions in more formal, didactic terms. You won't get the "it made me cry" or "I couldn't put it down."

I don't know how writers paying for comments is going to affect the spontaneous or off-the-cuff nature of those comments going forward. Perhaps the readers will feel they need to offer more formal responses?

Late Night Writer
                              We anticipate that personal reactions will still be an element in the comments. Along with scores, those reactions are what let us know the degree of affection a reader has for any script.

We're simply going to direct the readers to add a little more detail, a tad more content overall. Many readers have been doing exactly this for years. For some readers, it will simply mean writing an extra sentence or two and/or being more comprehensive in a discussion of a script's strengths and weaknesses.

Comment

Hi guys,

Could someone please help me with this:

Does this rule apply to all years? or basically the year the writer is applying with? So If I made over 25,000 last year in writing, I could still apply for it in 2015?

An entrant's total earnings for motion picture and television writing may not exceed US$25,000 before the end of the competition. This limit applies to compensation for motion picture and television writing services as well as for the sale of (or sale of an option on) screenplays, teleplays, stage plays, books, treatments, stories, premises and any other source material. In most instances, fellowship and competition prize money is not counted as earnings unless it includes a "first look" clause, an option or any other quid pro quo involving the writer's work. Entrants must be 18 or older at the time of entry.

Comment

Working...
                                X