Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Agents, Lawyers & Managers
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 01:08 PM   #41
slupo

Default Re: Done Deal Managers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Alexander View Post
Ha--definitely slimmed down the roster, but still in the trenches.
I was gonna say I was surprised since he passed on my script a few months ago :P
Old 06-03-2015, 01:41 PM   #42
Done Deal Pro
Administrator

We're still going and doing just fine. If anyone feels our forums are dried up, then please don't waste your precious time posting here. Get some great writing done.

There are still pros and a number of knowledgeable screenwriters of all levels participating here. In many ways, I'm prouder and more pleased with how the forums are running than really any other time in its history.

Sites like Twitter and Facebook have absolutely provided whole new avenues for people to communicate and discuss on. As noted above, that has an affect on all sorts of sites, blogs, etc.

People love to ring the death knell now and then. I've noted this before, but I've seen all kinds of sites and forums come & go over our forums' 15 plus years. Yet, we're still moving along. As the saying goes, it's a marathon not a sprint.

Last edited by Done Deal Pro : 06-03-2015 at 02:21 PM.
Old 06-05-2015, 01:18 PM   #43
billmarq
Administrator

Right on, Will. It is my opinion that Done Deal always was and still is the best place for an aspiring screenwriter to hang out and engage. When working professionals decide to participate, their contributions add even more to the value. Although I have never sold or optioned a script, I received help from more than one person here, including an attorney, that got my work into the hands of studios. Others, like Chris Lockhart gave me great feedback on my writing. (It needed a lot of work.)

However, the value of this site is not measured by how many pros actively participate, even though many still do. It is in the sharing of experiences, the sharing of information, and the availability of mutual criticism that makes the time spent here more than worthwhile. Open discussions on films and different aspects of screenwriting offer a lot of food for thought.

More than that, there is the main web site of Done Deal Pro with an abundance of helpful resources. I am not sure about the regular crowd now, but I remember when many, if not most, of the members of this board, had no idea there even existed a main site. They came here for social interaction, often with little or no interest in actual screenwriting issues. Thankfully, those days seem to be past us, most likely due to the evolving social media sites.
Old 06-05-2015, 03:44 PM   #44
BillWilliams12345
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxHound View Post
DDP has really dried up. There was a day when you'd get to argue with pros. ACTUAL PROs. When they were involved, the discussions were epic, memorable. Now it's just... meh. DDP is now the screenwriter's version of Blockbuster Video -- no offense.
I've been going through old threads. You attacked Craig Mazin and his friends. You're still stalking him by calling him out even though he's long gone.

I don't think you understood why they were here. I doubt it was to argue. And now that you helped drive them away, you're bitching about what this place has become.

I've got a suggestion to make this place better. You wanna hear it?
Old 06-05-2015, 04:46 PM   #45
madworld

Too much toxicity. Too many people telling the doctors how to operate. It was pretty awesome to see that big influx of pros at one time but there were just too many personal attacks for them to stay. I don't like reading trivial fights over things that won't matter in a year. I do like the community aspect of the board and still think there are a lot of great people around here with great advice. (You know who you are.)

And I love reading about the success stories. It's always fun to see hard work pay off for people.
Old 06-12-2015, 11:30 AM   #46
Bunker

I actually feel that the quality of conversation on this board has drastically improved, even if the quantity has fallen off.

I appreciated the pros for being here, but they also brought out an army of noobs. People who would argue with the pros for the sake of trying take down a big-shot, or people who would cuddle up to the pros for the sake of cultivating an industry "in". The conversations just ended up running in circles.

But since all of that quieted down, the remaining population has been the "middle class" of screenwriters. The semi-pros. There are a LOT of people asking about whether they should accept an offer, or sign with a particular manager. The proportion of repped (or previously repped) writers on this board seems very high. Most of the regular posters seem to have been writing and hustling for years, navigating the trenches.

The overall tone has gotten much more supportive and informative.
Old 06-12-2015, 12:41 PM   #47
docgonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker View Post
I actually feel that the quality of conversation on this board has drastically improved, even if the quantity has fallen off.

I appreciated the pros for being here, but they also brought out an army of noobs. People who would argue with the pros for the sake of trying take down a big-shot, or people who would cuddle up to the pros for the sake of cultivating an industry "in". The conversations just ended up running in circles.

But since all of that quieted down, the remaining population has been the "middle class" of screenwriters. The semi-pros. There are a LOT of people asking about whether they should accept an offer, or sign with a particular manager. The proportion of repped (or previously repped) writers on this board seems very high. Most of the regular posters seem to have been writing and hustling for years, navigating the trenches.

+1
Old 06-13-2015, 07:09 AM   #48
Richmond Weems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker View Post
There is absolutely no correlation between my lack of participation the last few months and the uptick in support and information on DDP. None.

Maybe.

<a tear trickles down his cheek 'cause he's one of those one tear guys>
Old 06-13-2015, 09:20 AM   #49
Manchester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmond Weems View Post
<a tear trickles down his cheek 'cause he's one of those one tear guys>
Ah, English - "A tear trickles down his cheek, as he fears she's about to tear him a new one."
Old 06-13-2015, 09:40 AM   #50
LateNightWriter

If this five-page thread has done nothing but bring Richard Weems out of hibernation, then it has all been worthwhile. Was missing your priceless wit, RW!

Late Night Writer
Closed Thread