Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Business Questions and Advice
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2018, 02:36 PM   #1
jeanpaul
User

Default Any way for an amateur writer to do this not in LA?

I'm in NY and could only move to LA for a boatload of money (which a staff writer doesn't get); are there any rooms in NY? Do amateurs ever sell scripts or work remotely? Suppose I could live in LA only during writing season but that forces me to hold a mortgage here, and rent out there.

My alternative is to switch gears to more NY friendly genres such as theatre and fiction, and as much as I love tv, I am willing to accept the cold hard truth that its just not in the cards for me. Thanks all for any input.
jeanpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 09:24 AM   #2
JoeBanks

Default Re: Any way for an amateur writer to do this not in LA?

95% (maybe more?) of the TV writing rooms are in LA. at least for TV, there really is no substitute for being here.

even staff writer-level gets paid well under the MBA, although it's generally a crap shoot whether any given show will make it past the first season. i'd be more worried about long-term stability than the actual pay if i were rolling the dice on a move from NY.
JoeBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 10:27 AM   #3
EdFury

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanpaul View Post
I'm in NY and could only move to LA for a boatload of money (which a staff writer doesn't get); are there any rooms in NY? Do amateurs ever sell scripts or work remotely? Suppose I could live in LA only during writing season but that forces me to hold a mortgage here, and rent out there.

My alternative is to switch gears to more NY friendly genres such as theatre and fiction, and as much as I love tv, I am willing to accept the cold hard truth that its just not in the cards for me. Thanks all for any input.
It's possible to not live in LA and write features, Indy films, and TV films. Not easy, a lot longer process, and you do miss out on a lot of opportunities by not being there, but it's possible. But TV? You have to live there. But with 6 - 10 episode seasons and more of those kinds of shows written by less people, who knows what the future will bring. But for now, TV.... LA.
EdFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 11:05 AM   #4
cvolante

In theory, do you think if someone actually was able to finagle a TV job from outside LA, would it be possible to rent or sublet for 6 months or so during the season== live like a Florida snowbird or something? Obviously you'd miss out on year-long networking, but you'd also be there in person for all the writing? Too pipe-dreamy?
cvolante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 11:24 AM   #5
Ronaldinho

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvolante View Post
In theory, do you think if someone actually was able to finagle a TV job from outside LA, would it be possible to rent or sublet for 6 months or so during the season== live like a Florida snowbird or something? Obviously you'd miss out on year-long networking, but you'd also be there in person for all the writing? Too pipe-dreamy?
It's certainly possible, but it's stupid.

There are a variety of companies which exist primarily to rent furnished apartments to people here medium-term for entertainment work.

The problem is, the way episodic TV is going (shorter seasons, more shows) you basically want to be able to shift as quickly as possible from one show to the next. It's no longer "well, okay, I'll work for 30 weeks and then take 20 weeks off, come back for next season."

A friend of mine was staffed on an Amazon show. Great! But they wrote the show 7+ months ago, recently wrapped, haven't aired, and nobody knows if/when season two will happen. So she's already on another job. It makes no sense to wait.
Ronaldinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 11:59 AM   #6
jeanpaul
User

what is the typical yearly earnings for a first or second year staff writer?

Is it realistic to get an agent and then sell specs, pilots, etc... from outside LA? Or does that only happen for experienced writers in LA?

Lastly, since I may be switching gears to fiction does anyone know the "Done Deal" equivalent website for novelists?
jeanpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 01:12 PM   #7
Done Deal Pro
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanpaul View Post
Lastly, since I may be switching gears to fiction does anyone know the "Done Deal" equivalent website for novelists?
I'm pretty sure there is no one quite like us in the book space; and I don't say that in any kind of grandiose way. I just don't think anyone runs a site that lays things out like we do, etc for books/novels. Also, there is generally not the same (perceived) glamour with books deals as there is with movies/Hollywood and TV.

But that said, I'm pretty sure a leader in the book deals announcement department is Publishers Weekly. See if this page/these lists helps some:

https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/...als/index.html

W
Done Deal Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 01:33 PM   #8
Cooper
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Done Deal Pro View Post
I'm pretty sure there is no one quite like us in the book space; and I don't say that in any kind of grandiose way. I just don't think anyone runs a site that lays things out like we do, etc for books/novels.
I agree that DD is amazing and unlike any other site in its orbit...

But THERE IS an equal site for novels (and other kinds of fiction/non-fiction writing): Absolute Write Forums here:
https://absolutewrite.com/forums/forum.php

And I will add that over there, they sing DD's praises all the time.
Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 01:48 PM   #9
Done Deal Pro
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
I agree that DD is amazing and unlike any other site in its orbit...

But THERE IS an equal site for novels (and other kinds of fiction/non-fiction writing): Absolute Write Forums here:
https://absolutewrite.com/forums/forum.php

And I will add that over there, they sing DD's praises all the time.
I meant our main site, where we list deals and for what I linked to an example of, which I thought JeanPaul was referring to. These are our forums, not our website. Heck there are other sites out there that track deals. He just referenced us and again noted "website" which always makes me think of our main site and what is does & covers.

There are plenty of forums for book writers that I'm sure are infinitely better and bigger than our forums. Absolute Write is an amazing forum for book writers and writers of all type. I suggest people visit there fairly regularly who are looking to focus on writing books, articles, poetry or whatever.

(There is a lot of humility from me in just about everything I post, as always.)

Last edited by Done Deal Pro : 04-05-2018 at 02:02 PM.
Done Deal Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 03:02 PM   #10
Cooper
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Done Deal Pro View Post
I meant our main site, where we list deals and for what I linked to an example of, which I thought JeanPaul was referring to. These are our forums, not our website. Heck there are other sites out there that track deals. He just referenced us and again noted "website" which always makes me think of our main site and what is does & covers.
Ah, sorry about that -- but you're right, of course. And I agree: Publishers Weekly is the best deal tracker, which is somewhat comparable to DDP in that regard. So, yeah, Will, good suggestion.
Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote