Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Business Questions and Advice
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2019, 02:45 PM   #11
Satriales
User

Default Re: Pitch structure

All good advice. Thanks all.

This is for an OWA. Which obviously makes a difference, so I should have mentioned up front.

Bunker, your general outline is how I have structured in the past with some success. I have just been reading a lot on here lately about holding **** back and making them want more and got the same vibe from my manger. I think the biggest takeaway other than not getting bogged down in “and then” and just generally owning the fvck out of it.
Satriales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 03:31 PM   #12
Bunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satriales View Post
I have just been reading a lot on here lately about holding **** back and making them want more and got the same vibe from my manger.
Depends on what stage of your career you're at.

If you're still a relatively unknown quantity, then I disagree with your manager.

OWA pitches are won and lost on two criteria:

1. Vision
2. Ability to execute

Your vision/take on the project will be conveyed in the first 5 minutes of the pitch. In some cases, your vision will not line up with the exec's vision, at which point, you've already lost and the rest of the pitch is just going through the motions.

But if the exec likes your vision, then you move on to Criteria 2: Ability to Execute.

An A-list writer with a string of credits and work history has shown that they can execute on their pitches. They're a known and safe quantity. They can get away with holding back.

The lesser known you are, the more you need to prove yourself in the room. Sure, your sample will carry some weight, but it probably won't be enough to overcome their confidence in the A-lister. At some point, you need to prove to the exec that you have the most-trusted hands to guide this story. And, in my opinion, the best way to do that is to tell them exactly how you plan to tell it.

I think there's a time and place for "If you want to see my cards, you gotta pay me first."

There's also a time and place for "Check out my cards. Pretty awesome, right? No one can beat this hand. I bet you want to be on MY team now."

Again, the fun/frustrating thing about Hollywood is that there is no one way to do any of this. Everything I said above is just my opinion.
Bunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 04:25 PM   #13
GucciGhostXXX

Oh... OWA. In that case I agree with Bunker yet again. Everyone's gonna be coming in HARD. Fukk it. Go all in "Check out my hand... cards laid faced up, here's what I got" it's either the BEST hand or it's not." I wouldn't play games with an OWA. I agree with OWNING it: "this is my take and I stand by it. It's the best take and I already know that." Worst that happens is they think "Goddamn, this chick is hella confident, I respect that, but not what we're looking for."

Or... "you're hired."

One guy's opinion...
GucciGhostXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 06:09 PM   #14
docgonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
Oh... OWA. In that case I agree with Bunker yet again. Everyone's gonna be coming in HARD. Fukk it. Go all in "Check out my hand... cards laid faced up, here's what I got" it's either the BEST hand or it's not." I wouldn't play games with an OWA. I agree with OWNING it: "this is my take and I stand by it. It's the best take and I already know that." Worst that happens is they think "Goddamn, this chick is hella confident, I respect that, but not what we're looking for."

Or... "you're hired."

One guy's opinion...
Yep, those are really the only answers you'll get. Lay it all on the line and f*ck the rest.
docgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 07:47 PM   #15
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by docgonzo View Post
Yep, those are really the only answers you'll get. Lay it all on the line and f*ck the rest.
TRUTH!
Old 07-18-2019, 11:29 PM   #16
EdFury

Quote:
Originally Posted by docgonzo View Post
Yep. Choose your lane and stay in it. I do the same when I have an acting audition. Make a creative choice and stay true to it. If I'm wrong, I prove to them I know how to make a creative choice and commit to it. Same when I'm pitching a OWA. Indecisive is not a good look. You do get credit for having a solid POV.
EdFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 10:10 AM   #17
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFury View Post
Yep. Choose your lane and stay in it. I do the same when I have an acting audition. Make a creative choice and stay true to it. If I'm wrong, I prove to them I know how to make a creative choice and commit to it. Same when I'm pitching a OWA. Indecisive is not a good look. You do get credit for having a solid POV.
Agreed! I too have been on the other side of the camera. I was a musician first but (real sh!t) my grandmother pushed me into modeling in my early 20s (this is after falling into being a drug trafficker at 19 and living in a 4 mil beach house front row on the sand with all my buddies, party pad, chicks, drugs, cars, guns, etc... all of this is in my current TV show bible/pilot. LOL. Yup, autobiographical.)

Back to point: Yup, I've done a sh!t ton of 'go sees' for modeling and 'auditions' for acting, as your LA modeling agent sends you out for a lot of commercial and film work where they want "model types". Booked a national commercial when I was young. Did LA Fashion Week as a model etc. This teaches you a fukk ton about committing and even more about rejection. It's also great experience if you want to direct. I know what the actors feel like being in front of the camera. It's terrifying, but you have to get over your fears, or they ain't gonna buy what you're selling. This is, at the core, a job of sales. Being fun to be around is ALWAYS what works best. I'm convinced of that.

But yeah, choose a POV and stick to it or they'll lose faith/trust. If they don't like you, oh well, NEXT!