Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Loading

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Business Questions and Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2014, 08:47 PM   #1
fouroneone
User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 40
Default Anyone SOLD a SCRIPT? Can I ask a few questions????

I just got an agent, however, I need to know what to do for the next step.

Not sure how much money to ask for, etc.. or how to really pitch.

I write both screenplay(usually comedy) and sitcom.

So, I need to ask someone that has actually sold a script what to do and what to expect.

Thanks!
fouroneone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:08 PM   #2
Screenplay Savant
Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 211
Default Re: Anyone SOLD a SCRIPT? Can I ask a few ?'s????

umm, you just got an agent, shouldn't you be having this conversation with him? After all it's part of his job to negotiate your deals for you. Not to mention the fact that he knows the market and his compensation is directly tied to yours.
Screenplay Savant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:40 PM   #3
ProfessorChomp
Regular
 
ProfessorChomp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 411
Default Re: Anyone SOLD a SCRIPT? Can I ask a few ?'s????

I'm so confused. Is there a specific project in play?
ProfessorChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:42 PM   #4
EdFury
Member
 
EdFury's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: California
Posts: 716
Default Re: Anyone SOLD a SCRIPT? Can I ask a few ?'s????

Quote:
Originally Posted by fouroneone View Post
I just got an agent, however, I need to know what to do for the next step.

Not sure how much money to ask for, etc.. or how to really pitch.

I write both screenplay(usually comedy) and sitcom.

So, I need to ask someone that has actually sold a script what to do and what to expect.

Thanks!
The answer you got about asking the agent is correct. No one who has sold a script can tell you what your deal might be because they are all different and all unique.

But this is what you can expect if, and it's a BIG if, your script gets any interest.

Your agent will send the script out and you will get offers of payment, if they they want to option or buy it. Then your agent will negotiate for the best price he can get based on a lot of factors. Union or non union. Size of film budget. TV or Theatrical. To name a few.

Then, based on what deal your agent can get, you can either take the deal, or not take the deal.

Or you can ask for more. Then whoever is trying to buy your script can either renegotiate or tell you no and move on. It's not cut and dry. There's no one way. You either trust your agent to do his job or you don't and try to get another one.

Best of luck to you.
EdFury is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 08:26 AM   #5
BurOak
Member
 
BurOak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 658
Default Re: Anyone SOLD a SCRIPT? Can I ask a few ?'s????

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFury View Post
The answer you got about asking the agent is correct. No one who has sold a script can tell you what your deal might be because they are all different and all unique.

But this is what you can expect if, and it's a BIG if, your script gets any interest.

Your agent will send the script out and you will get offers of payment, if they they want to option or buy it. Then your agent will negotiate for the best price he can get based on a lot of factors. Union or non union. Size of film budget. TV or Theatrical. To name a few.

Then, based on what deal your agent can get, you can either take the deal, or not take the deal.

Or you can ask for more. Then whoever is trying to buy your script can either renegotiate or tell you no and move on. It's not cut and dry. There's no one way. You either trust your agent to do his job or you don't and try to get another one.

Best of luck to you.
+100.
BurOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 08:31 AM   #6
markerstone
Regular
 
markerstone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 209
Default Re: Anyone SOLD a SCRIPT? Can I ask a few ?'s????

OK-- as Master Fury mentioned there are a LOT of variables...

As a first time, non union writer you can expect anywhere from a 'free' up to about 10% of the agreed purchase price for an option.

I have two writers that just sold their first scripts... one was good with a $200 option and a floor of WGA minimum and a ceiling of 65K based on the budget; whereas, the other writer got 10K against WGA minimum with no budgetary language. The good news is IF these projects go into production they will both be union eligible; however, the only guaranteed income comes from the options and any future extensions of the options.

The reason Writer 1 was willing to go so low on the option was based on a solid relationship with the buyer (had written for them in the past) and the director attached-- while #2 has much less confidence that the project will move forward and wanted to get as much up front as possible.

Flip over to an established union writer I worked with who booked an assignment for 75 against 700 (ceiling/budget dependent) and we sold a script to a studio for 25K against 650 (also ceiling/budget dependent)... the fundamental difference between scenarios is, obviously, the union writer had a previous sale (quote) as the base for the assignment and the sale.

The two non-union writers will now have a quote moving forward, and we can incorporate all customary WGA language and protections in future agreements-- so for their next specs they will probably make at least 10-15% more unless the specs get hot and multiple buyers are in the mix.

Hope that helps.

M
__________________
"The most terrifying thing is to accept oneself completely." ~Jung
markerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 08:10 PM   #7
fouroneone
User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 40
Default Re: Anyone SOLD a SCRIPT? Can I ask a few ?'s????

He seems to like my sitcom pilot and my screenplay, however, none of the responses mentioned PITCHING.

Does he pitch or do I pitch? He actually said he would "start pitching it" the sitcom pilot. Which I didn't know if he inadvertently used the wrong word. I thought the writers PITCH, yes????


Also, I keep hearing $300K for a screenplay, so that was the amount I was hoping to make from the screenplay, especially if it's sold to an established star.

Thanks to all who responded.
fouroneone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 08:11 PM   #8
fouroneone
User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 40
Default Re: Anyone SOLD a SCRIPT? Can I ask a few ?'s????

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorChomp View Post
I'm so confused. Is there a specific project in play?
Yes, the specific project is my screenplay AND my pilot sitcom.
I think that's what you meant.
So care to offer any advice/suggestions?
fouroneone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:19 PM   #9
EdFury
Member
 
EdFury's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: California
Posts: 716
Default Re: Anyone SOLD a SCRIPT? Can I ask a few ?'s????

Quote:
Originally Posted by fouroneone View Post
He seems to like my sitcom pilot and my screenplay, however, none of the responses mentioned PITCHING.

Does he pitch or do I pitch? He actually said he would "start pitching it" the sitcom pilot. Which I didn't know if he inadvertently used the wrong word. I thought the writers PITCH, yes????


Also, I keep hearing $300K for a screenplay, so that was the amount I was hoping to make from the screenplay, especially if it's sold to an established star.

Thanks to all who responded.
I'm still wondering why you don't just talk to your agent and ask these questions. That's his job.
EdFury is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 06:43 AM   #10
Cayden Black
User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 45
Default Re: Anyone SOLD a SCRIPT? Can I ask a few ?'s????

Quote:
Originally Posted by markerstone View Post
OK-- as Master Fury mentioned there are a LOT of variables...

As a first time, non union writer you can expect anywhere from a 'free' up to about 10% of the agreed purchase price for an option.

I have two writers that just sold their first scripts... one was good with a $200 option and a floor of WGA minimum and a ceiling of 65K based on the budget; whereas, the other writer got 10K against WGA minimum with no budgetary language. The good news is IF these projects go into production they will both be union eligible; however, the only guaranteed income comes from the options and any future extensions of the options.

The reason Writer 1 was willing to go so low on the option was based on a solid relationship with the buyer (had written for them in the past) and the director attached-- while #2 has much less confidence that the project will move forward and wanted to get as much up front as possible.

Flip over to an established union writer I worked with who booked an assignment for 75 against 700 (ceiling/budget dependent) and we sold a script to a studio for 25K against 650 (also ceiling/budget dependent)... the fundamental difference between scenarios is, obviously, the union writer had a previous sale (quote) as the base for the assignment and the sale.

The two non-union writers will now have a quote moving forward, and we can incorporate all customary WGA language and protections in future agreements-- so for their next specs they will probably make at least 10-15% more unless the specs get hot and multiple buyers are in the mix.

Hope that helps.

M
"75 against 700", are you referring to hundreds or thousands? And can you elaborate on the "25K against 650"? Is the 25K an option and 650 is the purchase price?
Cayden Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Done Deal Pro

eXTReMe Tracker