Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Business Questions and Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2014, 08:47 PM   #1
fouroneone
User

Default Anyone SOLD a SCRIPT? Can I ask a few questions????

I just got an agent, however, I need to know what to do for the next step.

Not sure how much money to ask for, etc.. or how to really pitch.

I write both screenplay(usually comedy) and sitcom.

So, I need to ask someone that has actually sold a script what to do and what to expect.

Thanks!
fouroneone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:08 PM   #2
Screenplay Savant
Regular

Default Re: Anyone SOLD a SCRIPT? Can I ask a few ?'s????

umm, you just got an agent, shouldn't you be having this conversation with him? After all it's part of his job to negotiate your deals for you. Not to mention the fact that he knows the market and his compensation is directly tied to yours.
Screenplay Savant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:40 PM   #3
ProfessorChomp
Regular

I'm so confused. Is there a specific project in play?
ProfessorChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:42 PM   #4
EdFury

Quote:
Originally Posted by fouroneone View Post
I just got an agent, however, I need to know what to do for the next step.

Not sure how much money to ask for, etc.. or how to really pitch.

I write both screenplay(usually comedy) and sitcom.

So, I need to ask someone that has actually sold a script what to do and what to expect.

Thanks!
The answer you got about asking the agent is correct. No one who has sold a script can tell you what your deal might be because they are all different and all unique.

But this is what you can expect if, and it's a BIG if, your script gets any interest.

Your agent will send the script out and you will get offers of payment, if they they want to option or buy it. Then your agent will negotiate for the best price he can get based on a lot of factors. Union or non union. Size of film budget. TV or Theatrical. To name a few.

Then, based on what deal your agent can get, you can either take the deal, or not take the deal.

Or you can ask for more. Then whoever is trying to buy your script can either renegotiate or tell you no and move on. It's not cut and dry. There's no one way. You either trust your agent to do his job or you don't and try to get another one.

Best of luck to you.
EdFury is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 08:26 AM   #5
BurOak

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFury View Post
The answer you got about asking the agent is correct. No one who has sold a script can tell you what your deal might be because they are all different and all unique.

But this is what you can expect if, and it's a BIG if, your script gets any interest.

Your agent will send the script out and you will get offers of payment, if they they want to option or buy it. Then your agent will negotiate for the best price he can get based on a lot of factors. Union or non union. Size of film budget. TV or Theatrical. To name a few.

Then, based on what deal your agent can get, you can either take the deal, or not take the deal.

Or you can ask for more. Then whoever is trying to buy your script can either renegotiate or tell you no and move on. It's not cut and dry. There's no one way. You either trust your agent to do his job or you don't and try to get another one.

Best of luck to you.
+100.
BurOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 08:31 AM   #6
markerstone
Regular

OK-- as Master Fury mentioned there are a LOT of variables...

As a first time, non union writer you can expect anywhere from a 'free' up to about 10% of the agreed purchase price for an option.

I have two writers that just sold their first scripts... one was good with a $200 option and a floor of WGA minimum and a ceiling of 65K based on the budget; whereas, the other writer got 10K against WGA minimum with no budgetary language. The good news is IF these projects go into production they will both be union eligible; however, the only guaranteed income comes from the options and any future extensions of the options.

The reason Writer 1 was willing to go so low on the option was based on a solid relationship with the buyer (had written for them in the past) and the director attached-- while #2 has much less confidence that the project will move forward and wanted to get as much up front as possible.

Flip over to an established union writer I worked with who booked an assignment for 75 against 700 (ceiling/budget dependent) and we sold a script to a studio for 25K against 650 (also ceiling/budget dependent)... the fundamental difference between scenarios is, obviously, the union writer had a previous sale (quote) as the base for the assignment and the sale.

The two non-union writers will now have a quote moving forward, and we can incorporate all customary WGA language and protections in future agreements-- so for their next specs they will probably make at least 10-15% more unless the specs get hot and multiple buyers are in the mix.

Hope that helps.

M
Old 11-13-2014, 08:10 PM   #7
fouroneone
User

He seems to like my sitcom pilot and my screenplay, however, none of the responses mentioned PITCHING.

Does he pitch or do I pitch? He actually said he would "start pitching it" the sitcom pilot. Which I didn't know if he inadvertently used the wrong word. I thought the writers PITCH, yes????

Also, I keep hearing $300K for a screenplay, so that was the amount I was hoping to make from the screenplay, especially if it's sold to an established star.

Thanks to all who responded.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:11 PM   #8
fouroneone
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorChomp View Post
I'm so confused. Is there a specific project in play?
Yes, the specific project is my screenplay AND my pilot sitcom.
I think that's what you meant.
So care to offer any advice/suggestions?
Old 11-13-2014, 09:19 PM   #9
EdFury

Quote:
Originally Posted by fouroneone View Post
He seems to like my sitcom pilot and my screenplay, however, none of the responses mentioned PITCHING.

Does he pitch or do I pitch? He actually said he would "start pitching it" the sitcom pilot. Which I didn't know if he inadvertently used the wrong word. I thought the writers PITCH, yes????

Also, I keep hearing $300K for a screenplay, so that was the amount I was hoping to make from the screenplay, especially if it's sold to an established star.

Thanks to all who responded.
I'm still wondering why you don't just talk to your agent and ask these questions. That's his job.
EdFury is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 06:43 AM   #10
Cayden Black
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by markerstone View Post
OK-- as Master Fury mentioned there are a LOT of variables...

As a first time, non union writer you can expect anywhere from a 'free' up to about 10% of the agreed purchase price for an option.

I have two writers that just sold their first scripts... one was good with a $200 option and a floor of WGA minimum and a ceiling of 65K based on the budget; whereas, the other writer got 10K against WGA minimum with no budgetary language. The good news is IF these projects go into production they will both be union eligible; however, the only guaranteed income comes from the options and any future extensions of the options.

The reason Writer 1 was willing to go so low on the option was based on a solid relationship with the buyer (had written for them in the past) and the director attached-- while #2 has much less confidence that the project will move forward and wanted to get as much up front as possible.

Flip over to an established union writer I worked with who booked an assignment for 75 against 700 (ceiling/budget dependent) and we sold a script to a studio for 25K against 650 (also ceiling/budget dependent)... the fundamental difference between scenarios is, obviously, the union writer had a previous sale (quote) as the base for the assignment and the sale.

The two non-union writers will now have a quote moving forward, and we can incorporate all customary WGA language and protections in future agreements-- so for their next specs they will probably make at least 10-15% more unless the specs get hot and multiple buyers are in the mix.

Hope that helps.

M
"75 against 700", are you referring to hundreds or thousands? And can you elaborate on the "25K against 650"? Is the 25K an option and 650 is the purchase price?
Cayden Black is offline   Reply With Quote