Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it worth it?

I've become aware that one of my scripts has been made into a tv show and currently airs on a major cable network. This was done without my knowledge and permission. I am currently looking for an attorney to handle the legal aspect. My question for you all, is it worth it to go after the companies?

Re: Is it worth it?

You've done the right thing by placing it in the hands of an attorney, but beyond that it's not really possible to say whether or not it is worth it without knowing the full circumstances behind the script being used by the production company. Presumably you hadn't sold or licensed the script or submitted it in any other manner that may have deprived you of your rights, e.g. by way of a competition or other process whereby you didn't realize you were relinquishing the rights. A lot depends on how the company came into possession of the script.
    "Friends make the worst enemies." Frank Underwood

Comment

At the end of the day you can't copyright an idea. Unless there is some actual proof that these guys knowingly stole your material, you really don't have much legal ground to stand on. That said you should 100% get an attorney's opinion. It can't hurt, and you may always wonder about it if you don't.
      Write, rite, wright... until you get it RIGHT.

Comment

Originally posted by jk97301 View Post
        I've become aware that one of my scripts has been made into a tv show and currently airs on a major cable network. This was done without my knowledge and permission. I am currently looking for an attorney to handle the legal aspect. My question for you all, is it worth it to go after the companies?
        Only a good attorney could answer that. (Certainly not this nut in the peanut gallery.)

Comment

Originally posted by asteven50 View Post
          At the end of the day you can't copyright an idea. Unless there is some actual proof that these guys knowingly stole your material, you really don't have much legal ground to stand on. That said you should 100% get an attorney's opinion. It can't hurt, and you may always wonder about it if you don't.
          It's not the idea. They lifted entire scenes and characters, complete with the names. Out of the 25 mins in the pilot, 20mins came straight out of my script, which is copyrighted and registered.
          Last edited by jk97301; 03-10-2015, 06:21 PM. Reason: Complete thought

Comment

I'm not a lawyer.

I tend to be skeptical of claims like yours. However, particularly if you can show access - if they read your pilot, if there's a paper trail, it's probably worth it to pursue, if it really does seem to objective observers as clear as it seems to you.

That's a couple of significant ifs.

But you should talk to a lawyer.

Comment

@Ronaldinho I get the skepticism. Obviously I haven't laid out my entire case here. That's between me and the lawyers. I just was wondering from writer's perspective, if its worth it. Its that potential blowback, etc.

Comment

It would be very odd for a legit production company to deliberately steal a script (given how relatively cheaply they can be bought). Perhaps they thought they already owned it, or another writer passed it off as theirs? In either of these cases, if you can demonstrate you did write it and they don't own it, I'd have thought they'd pay up fairly readily. If you keep things calm and polite, it might even be an opening for more work.

Definitely talk to a lawyer first and heed his advice; but (subject to your lawyer's advice) keep things as polite an non-accusatory as you can.

Comment

I had the exact same thing happen to me many years ago. Same title, same premise, same characters. I did consult with an attorney and he said the main thing was to be able to prove that the producer did indeed read my script. In other words, even with all the other similarities, one must prove in no uncertain terms that the producer read the script, rejected it, and then went ahead and did it anyway. Since the link to the producer was somewhat tenuous, I decided it was not worth pursuing(because the attorney was not going to take the case on a contingency basis). But hear your own attorney out and see what he or she says. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by jk97301 View Post
                    It's not the idea. They lifted entire scenes and characters, complete with the names. Out of the 25 mins in the pilot, 20mins came straight out of my script, which is copyrighted and registered.
                    Those details sure sound pretty damning. You mentioned "going after the companies", but if your case holds water you're also going after the credited writer on the pilot.

I know you can't get too specific, but does this writer have prior imdb credits? I can imagine a prodco handing a script to another writer to develop and misrepresenting that they own it, but then why would that writer go on to also claim writing credit on something that's 4/5ths not theirs?

Comment

Another option to consider here is to contact the WGA.

Comment

What's the show if I may ask? Your success may depend on how big it is.
                        I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Originally posted by justin View Post
                          Perhaps they thought they already owned it, or another writer passed it off as theirs?
                          Interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Howie428 View Post
                            Another option to consider here is to contact the WGA.
                            Is op in the wga? If he's not, why would they get involved?

Comment

Originally posted by BillWilliams12345 View Post
                              Is op in the wga? If he's not, why would they get involved?
                              no I'm not, already talked to them and they directed me to an attorney service

Comment

Working...
                              X