Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Agents, Lawyers & Managers
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2016, 03:14 PM   #1
McWriterson
User

Default Anyone switch from large management co to small?

Has anyone had success switching from a larger management company to a smaller one where (I hear) they can give you more attention and find you work? I'm not even asking for WGA scale here, but I feel like because my reps work for huge companies, they don't wanna waste their time on looking for small work for me. They send me out on big meetings and of course I'm competing with experienced writers and never land a job. It's frustrating to all hell.

Any thoughts? Thx.
McWriterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 04:00 PM   #2
Northbank
User

Default Re: Anyone switch from large management co to small?

Quote:
Originally Posted by McWriterson View Post
Has anyone had success switching from a larger management company to a smaller one where (I hear) they can give you more attention and find you work? I'm not even asking for WGA scale here, but I feel like because my reps work for huge companies, they don't wanna waste their time on looking for small work for me. They send me out on big meetings and of course I'm competing with experienced writers and never land a job. It's frustrating to all hell.

Any thoughts? Thx.
Unlike agencies, management companies should not be judged on size. It's quality, not quantity, in management. If your managers aren't doing a good job, you need a good new manager at any size company.
Northbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 04:06 PM   #3
ProfessorChomp
Regular

Northbank is correct. I went from big (Industry) to medium (Circle of Confusion) to small (Writ Large) and I much prefer small. But ultimately it's not the letterhead, it's the manager. Big houses boast about their packaging potential with other clients, but it never really came into play. What's most important is to have a devoted manager - the company comes second.

Here's the thing - those "small" deals you're talking about, that has nothing to do with whether you're at a big or small company. It's not like small shops mean small deals or big shops mean big deals. Plenty of huge writers are at small shops, and vice versa. It's more about how your work is resonating with people. If you write a script that dazzles people, the size of your management company is irrelevant. And if you haven't written a script that dazzled people... the size of your management company is irrelevant. Your works sells you, a manager only facilitates it.
ProfessorChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 06:10 PM   #4
ducky1288

I agree -- it's the who not the where.

If you don't feel like they are doing right by you, it's probably not because of the company.

Writer on a cable drama.
ducky1288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 07:24 PM   #5
bruinwriter
User

As mentioned, it's who you're repped by, not who they work for. With that said, I was at ICM and left for a small boutique when I realized I was being marginalized there. Not sure it made that big of a difference in the end, but I felt more attention was being paid to my needs after I moved.

Edited: just realized you said managers, not agents. That's absolutely based on the manager, not who they work for, more so than an agency, in my opinion.
bruinwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 07:35 PM   #6
McWriterson
User

Thanks for the responses. Follow up question then:

My manager has (according to IMBD) around 50 clients. Most actors. Others writers. I hear most effective literary managers have 20 clients tops. I'm simply not sure he has the time with all those clients. How do you guys view something like this?
Old 09-30-2016, 07:45 PM   #7
DangoForth

Quote:
...I'm not even asking for WGA scale here, but I feel like because my reps work for huge companies, they don't wanna waste their time on looking for small work for me.
I'm gonna interject here. ALWAYS ask for WGA scale. I'm not repped (except by entertainment attorney), but I always use it as the bargaining point. Those figures come from blood, sweat and tears.
DangoForth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 07:59 PM   #8
McWriterson
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangoForth View Post
I'm not repped (except by entertainment attorney), but I always use it as the bargaining point.
You must have experience, past sales, etc. I don't. So... I'm looking for work writing a cat eulogy for someone in Kazakstan who can pay me 50 bits.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:34 PM   #9
DangoForth

Quote:
You must have experience, past sales, etc. I don't. So... I'm looking for work writing a cat eulogy for someone in Kazakstan who can pay me 50 bits.

Aw, man! If I'd only known that last week!

Last edited by DangoForth : 10-01-2016 at 09:52 AM.
DangoForth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 11:40 AM   #10
ducky1288

Quote:
Thanks for the responses. Follow up question then:

My manager has (according to IMBD) around 50 clients. Most actors. Others writers. I hear most effective literary managers have 20 clients tops. I'm simply not sure he has the time with all those clients. How do you guys view something like this?
IMDB Pro isn't always updated or current so do keep that in mind.

Is this manager a literary manager since they seem to have so much "talent" on their roster? I know of a manager or two that has one or two actor clients, but it's not their main business.

And yes, unless it's a team situation, 50 seems like a lot for one manager to take on. I used to be with a managing team of 4 managers and they had a 50+ client list but the work was shared among them so it wasn't too much.

Writer on a cable drama.
ducky1288 is offline   Reply With Quote