Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Loading

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Research and Resources
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2017, 01:22 PM   #1
omjs
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 501
Default Drug research

Alright, I'm rewriting my ghost pilot, and thinking of including one character who can only see and interact with the ghost character while he's under the influence.

Short version: I want something with a downer and/or hallucinogenic effect, which can create an altered state that he may or may not remember clearly the next day.

Long version (with story context): The character is Psychic Phil, who's big into healing crystals, homeopathy, and also reads tarot and palms and believes he's a channeler. He runs a storefront psychic shop that barely makes enough to get by, with a side business renting an apartment to the protagonist who lives above him. He's mostly a hack, as evidenced by the fact that he can neither see nor accurately sense the ghost who's haunting our protagonist (plus his psychic predictions don't tend to work out). When he's high, though, he's able to interact with the ghost character and can even deliver limited psychic hints or advice. The problem is he never remembers these episodes (or what he does remember, he believes didn't happen), and so he goes on believing he's a failure.

Do you think large quantities of weed would do it? Or should I be moving more toward something hallucinogenic like mushrooms? He's probably selling whatever he takes on the side to make ends meet.

Anybody else have an idea? Being a psychic, he's also a fairly hippie-ish type, so I'm less inclined to have him do anything too processed or chemical.
omjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 01:49 PM   #2
AnconRanger
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 554
Default Re: Drug research

interesting! good luck with it. a lot of good words in there.

i don't know anything, and sure this won't help, but when i quit tobacco, i had to stop drinking beer as well (the two are in love with each other). it took several attempts over a period of a few months. and each time i was pretty much nuts for a few days, couldn't sleep, temperamental, ornery...the world seemed quite a bit different and i didn't like it, to sum it up.

you could flip the hourglass upside down and remove something in your story too, etc. maybe it is when he stops eating or drinking or smoking or doing something (some strange, yet personal and understandable thing or habit), etc.

the completely sober and no tobacco effect. i felt drugged in a bad way, and did not like it. it altered my state.

Last edited by AnconRanger : 07-03-2017 at 02:08 PM.
AnconRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 02:55 PM   #3
omjs
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 501
Default Re: Drug research

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnconRanger View Post
interesting! good luck with it. a lot of good words in there.

i don't know anything, and sure this won't help, but when i quit tobacco, i had to stop drinking beer as well (the two are in love with each other). it took several attempts over a period of a few months. and each time i was pretty much nuts for a few days, couldn't sleep, temperamental, ornery...the world seemed quite a bit different and i didn't like it, to sum it up.

you could flip the hourglass upside down and remove something in your story too, etc. maybe it is when he stops eating or drinking or smoking or doing something (some strange, yet personal and understandable thing or habit), etc.

the completely sober and no tobacco effect. i felt drugged in a bad way, and did not like it. it altered my state.
Oh, that's a fun twist. Like he's high all the time, and once he stops, his psychic vision clears. I'll have to think about that.
omjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 12:24 AM   #4
JoeBanks
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,809
Default Re: Drug research

i never did it myself but DMT could fit the bill

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/5...experience-365
JoeBanks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 11:06 AM   #5
SBdeb
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 501
Default Re: Drug research

I've seen some pretty knowlegeable drug sites on Reddit that might be a useful resource for you if you want to check that out.

Alternatively, what if he had some kind of medical condition that would put him in and out of reality, i.e. narcolepsy where he falls asleep and thinks he's dreaming? Of course, there are lots of medical reasons that memory might be impaired (dementia, early alzheimers, even a special one related to alcoholism), or for less drama, what about plain old blackouts from alcohol?
SBdeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 07:11 PM   #6
omjs
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 501
Default Re: Drug research

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBanks View Post
i never did it myself but DMT could fit the bill

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/5...experience-365
I've heard of DMT, but didn't know the details. I'll read up on it, thanks!
omjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 07:12 PM   #7
omjs
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 501
Default Re: Drug research

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBdeb View Post
I've seen some pretty knowlegeable drug sites on Reddit that might be a useful resource for you if you want to check that out.

Alternatively, what if he had some kind of medical condition that would put him in and out of reality, i.e. narcolepsy where he falls asleep and thinks he's dreaming? Of course, there are lots of medical reasons that memory might be impaired (dementia, early alzheimers, even a special one related to alcoholism), or for less drama, what about plain old blackouts from alcohol?
Good call on Reddit. I know they have some pretty active drug communities.

The disease idea is an interesting one - maybe narcolepsy would fit. Hmmm.

You guys are always so good at coming up with ideas.
omjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 10:45 PM   #8
Southern_land
Member
 
Southern_land's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 1,683
Default Re: Drug research

Quote:
Originally Posted by omjs View Post
I've heard of DMT, but didn't know the details. I'll read up on it, thanks!
Joe Rogan has a couple of fascinating podcasts on DMT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJn00vnX6iY

And Graham Hancock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aT3NQDgnMG0

And... both of them together

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMpOhqqO4PE

and just for good measure https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndBjraV-3UY
__________________
Without deviation from the norm, evolution is not possible


Southern_land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:23 AM   #9
Mitchell McLean
User
 
Mitchell McLean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 59
Default Re: Drug research

Here's a short video of portraits an artist made during an LSD trip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4Sb8jCJUTw


Also, Ambien has been rumored to cause sleepwalking in rare cases. Maybe you could come up with a fictional sleeping pill that fits the bill.
Mitchell McLean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 08:58 AM   #10
docgonzo
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,041
Default Re: Drug research

Honestly, there's really only one way to find out...
docgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Done Deal Pro

eXTReMe Tracker