Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Business Questions and Advice
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2018, 02:58 AM   #1
slopnik
Regular

Unhappy To do or not to do

I got a response from a producer for my latest masterpiece-monster:

"I read your script and liked it very much. I would like to send it to a Producer partner in LA to read for his opinion. If he agrees with me, we will discuss moving forward with an option.
However, I need you to send me a copy of the script without your contact information on it. Leave your name, but remove the email."

Now, the script is registered, and even if it weren't, I'm from Europe and could sue anyone's ass through Eu courts, but still... this part:

"I need you to send me a copy of the script without your contact information on it. Leave your name, but remove the email"

That let sirens in my head to go through the roof (my name only is useless for anyone who tries to find me.)

Did anyone had a similar experience - how did it end?

I also have another producer interested in this title. However, he cannot finance it by himself.
Heck, I'll send him the damn thing, I already got over 70 requests for it so if anything funny happens...

Comments or advice are welcome, brothers in arms.
slopnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 08:48 AM   #2
Cooper
Regular

Default Re: To do or not to do

It's not a red flag, necessarily.
A producer I've worked with has asked for the same thing on every project we've worked on together as he wants to be the contact person when he sends it out. After awhile I just put his contact information as a matter of course.
Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 09:20 AM   #3
EdFury

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopnik View Post
I got a response from a producer for my latest masterpiece-monster:

"I read your script and liked it very much. I would like to send it to a Producer partner in LA to read for his opinion. If he agrees with me, we will discuss moving forward with an option.
However, I need you to send me a copy of the script without your contact information on it. Leave your name, but remove the email."

Now, the script is registered, and even if it weren't, I'm from Europe and could sue anyone's ass through Eu courts, but still... this part:

"I need you to send me a copy of the script without your contact information on it. Leave your name, but remove the email"

That let sirens in my head to go through the roof (my name only is useless for anyone who tries to find me.)

Did anyone had a similar experience - how did it end?

I also have another producer interested in this title. However, he cannot finance it by himself.
Heck, I'll send him the damn thing, I already got over 70 requests for it so if anything funny happens...

Comments or advice are welcome, brothers in arms.
He doesn't want the person he's sending it to contacting you directly, cutting him out. It's as simple as that. Happens all the time. Relax.
EdFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:46 PM   #4
ProfessorChomp
Regular

What Ed said. The producer wants to be the point of contact. Plus, a cover page looks more professional and legit-looking without the writer's own contact info on there. If you're a writer with no rep or producer, who's sending out a script yourself, there's not really a way around it. But with a producer sending it out, better to take it off.
ProfessorChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 01:08 PM   #5
ducky1288

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFury View Post
He doesn't want the person he's sending it to contacting you directly, cutting him out. It's as simple as that. Happens all the time. Relax.
This and what ProfessorChomp said (I've been here 10 years and have yet to learn how to do multiple quotes...)

This person wants to remain the contact point/middle man or else they could easily be cutout of the process if this LA based person just sent you an email directly.

Writer on a cable drama.
ducky1288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 01:53 AM   #6
slopnik
Regular

Quote:
He doesn't want the person he's sending it to contacting you directly, cutting him out
The good on this is, it means he thinks the story is worthy for him to risk his neck asking his partner.

The bad part - now I have one producer, who is wholly committed to it, has not enough resources, so I must forward other prodcs that respond to him, unaware what their goals are.

The other producer, who has some track record obviously has his own ideas how to proceed with it.

It's a freaking Russian roulette; you keep pulling the trigger until a bullet hits you.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:01 AM   #7
slopnik
Regular

Quote:
This person wants to remain the contact point/middle man or else they could easily be cutout of the process if this LA based person just sent you an email directly.
I had no idea these guys are such sharks.

Quote:
I've been here 10 years and have yet to learn how to do multiple quotes.
It's simple. Copy paste each time the start, and end brackets (I hope this will show up correctly)
Quote:
Add text here
) into a new quote you want to add to your reply.

Nope, it did not show what I meant. Maybe it'll help you anyway.
Old 02-12-2018, 06:17 AM   #8
catcon

For multiple quotes, I just click the DDPro icon on the screen to insert the quote tags, as many times as I want to quote something:

[quote][/ QUOTE]

Then, from the original posting, I cut-n-paste whatever I want to quote between the two codes. I find this easier than quoting the entire original post and reworking it or chopping it up from there.

Last edited by catcon : 02-12-2018 at 01:24 PM.
catcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 09:58 AM   #9
AnyOtherName
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopnik View Post
The good on this is, it means he thinks the story is worthy for him to risk his neck asking his partner.

The bad part - now I have one producer, who is wholly committed to it, has not enough resources, so I must forward other prodcs that respond to him, unaware what their goals are.
What? No. You don't need to forward other prodocs to this guy. Sending you a nice email doesn't give him any legal rights to the script.

If this guy puts together the movie, great for him, and great for you-- but there's nothing shady about your pursuing other options in the meantime. I assure you, he's pursuing multiple scripts.
AnyOtherName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 11:35 AM   #10
DLev24
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnyOtherName View Post
What? No. You don't need to forward other prodocs to this guy. Sending you a nice email doesn't give him any legal rights to the script.

If this guy puts together the movie, great for him, and great for you-- but there's nothing shady about your pursuing other options in the meantime. I assure you, he's pursuing multiple scripts.
I second this sentiment whole-heartedly. Assuming he hasn't optioned the script or gotten you to sign a shopping agreement, you should keep shopping it around yourself. Producers share scripts they like all the time, it's not a reason to stop pursuing other avenues. Hell, that's exactly what creates heat and a bidding war.

My fingers are crossed for you!
DLev24 is offline   Reply With Quote