Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Script gained heat w/ agents then Covid hit

Hello, first time poster. So I had a screenplay last fall that a producer at a reputable production company fell in love with and started showing CAA and WME (and others) to package. These agents all had the same reaction, loved the script, and were making lists of A list actors and directors. Two of our top choice actors passed on the script the first few weeks out. Another had it and was sitting on it, while a couple other choices were given it, as well as a couple hot directors.

Then COVID19 hit. The producer was laid off, possibly indefinitely. Now I'm at square one. I have no agent or manager, and I don't know the names of the agents that reacted so positively and have no idea what to do next.

I am hopeful that if I word my situation properly, to the right person, I could get representation and hopefully pick up where I left off. Any advice in terms of how I might be able to get an agent or manager in the saddle while the seat's still warm? No studios have seen it, only agents and a few actors. Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 10-14-2020, 06:29 PM.

Re: Script gained heat w/ agents then Covid hit

Originally posted by TooterDoesit View Post
    Hello, first time poster. So I had a screenplay last fall that a producer at a reputable production company fell in love with and started showing CAA and WME (and others) to package. These agents all had the same reaction, loved the script, and were making lists of A list actors and directors. Two of our top choice actors passed on the script the first few weeks out. Another had it and was sitting on it, while a couple other choices were given it, as well as a couple hot directors.

Then COVID19 hit. The producer was laid off, possibly indefinitely. Now I'm at square one. I have no agent or manager, and I don't know the names of the agents that reacted so positively and have no idea what to do next.

I am hopeful that if I word my situation properly, to the right person, I could get representation and hopefully pick up where I left off. Any advice in terms of how I might be able to get an agent or manager in the saddle while the seat's still warm? No studios have seen it, only agents and a few actors. Thanks for reading.
    So, bad news first: if lit agents at WME and/or CAA wanted to rep you, you would have heard from them already. The people who reported loving your script were likely packaging agents and/or talent agents, whose love is generally not terribly useful to writers, save for the fact that it may motivate them to package our scripts more enthusiastically.

If these agents were truly nuts about the script, they may have passed it along to MP Lit, where it was presumably passed on-- or, per Hollywood praise inflation, their "love" may have been more of the "Eh, this could work with the right director" variety, which isn't enough to move the needle.

Now the good news: you have a relationship with a producer who thinks you're swell and who (laid off or not laid off) has relationships, not just at WME and CAA, but presumably all over town. If I were you, I'd reach out to the producer and explain that I felt it was time for representation, and I'd ask, politely but frankly, if they could help, either with referrals or advice. If nothing else, it's a good place to start.

Comment

Originally posted by AnyOtherName View Post
      So, bad news first: if lit agents at WME and/or CAA wanted to rep you, you would have heard from them already. The people who reported loving your script were likely packaging agents and/or talent agents, whose love is generally not terribly useful to writers, save for the fact that it may motivate them to package our scripts more enthusiastically.

If these agents were truly nuts about the script, they may have passed it along to MP Lit, where it was presumably passed on-- or, per Hollywood praise inflation, their "love" may have been more of the "Eh, this could work with the right director" variety, which isn't enough to move the needle.

Now the good news: you have a relationship with a producer who thinks you're swell and who (laid off or not laid off) has relationships, not just at WME and CAA, but presumably all over town. If I were you, I'd reach out to the producer and explain that I felt it was time for representation, and I'd ask, politely but frankly, if they could help, either with referrals or advice. If nothing else, it's a good place to start.
      I haven't spoken to the producer in months. I sent a follow up email but don't want to seem pestering, especially since I don't know what sort of life issues he must be going through right now with no job. I was recently low-key fired myself but lucky my wife works. Thanks for the insight.

Comment

Did you sign anything with this company? Do they have an option or shopping agreement with this script?

I'm curious about this producer. Usually that title refers to the head of a company, someone who would never really be laid off. Of course, there are Dev. Execs, Creative Execs, VP of Prod, etc. All of whom might get various levels of producer credit on films. But if one of those execs were to get laid off, then there would be other people still at the company who are managing the slate. Which means, there's someone you can contact.

If I were you, I would send your guy another email. Say how sorry you are to hear about his situation... how much you loved working with him... and ask what the next steps are for the project. If you signed an option with the company, ask who you should contact there about it. If there's nothing signed, then maybe this producer wants to shop the project independently.

If you never hear back (his email may have been turned off when he was fired), try to find someone else at the company to contact and ask about the status of the project.

I would be assertive and not worry about pestering people (within reason). If you allow this to sit and work itself out, then there's a high probability that it will just disappear. The truth is that at this stage, no one cares as much about this project as YOU.

Comment

I'm personally anti bugging people on LinkedIn in this industry but I'd also make an exception in this case since you have a relationship already.

Comment

Originally posted by AnyOtherName View Post

Originally posted by Bunker View Post
            Did you sign anything with this company? Do they have an option or shopping agreement with this script?

I'm curious about this producer. Usually that title refers to the head of a company, someone who would never really be laid off. Of course, there are Dev. Execs, Creative Execs, VP of Prod, etc. All of whom might get various levels of producer credit on films. But if one of those execs were to get laid off, then there would be other people still at the company who are managing the slate. Which means, there's someone you can contact.

If I were you, I would send your guy another email. Say how sorry you are to hear about his situation... how much you loved working with him... and ask what the next steps are for the project. If you signed an option with the company, ask who you should contact there about it. If there's nothing signed, then maybe this producer wants to shop the project independently.

If you never hear back (his email may have been turned off when he was fired), try to find someone else at the company to contact and ask about the status of the project.

I would be assertive and not worry about pestering people (within reason). If you allow this to sit and work itself out, then there's a high probability that it will just disappear. The truth is that at this stage, no one cares as much about this project as YOU.
            Thank you for your response. I didn't sign any form of agreement with the company. I don't know exactly how the hierarchy works, but I believe he was an actual producer and had 'a boss' who's company it was. I will email him and see how he's doing and if he has any plans.

Comment

How did you originally find the producer?

Also, pretend none of that happened -- you still have a great spec -- why can't you just go back to querying it as the first thing never happened and just use that as proof it was good enough to gain interest in the project a few months ago -- so others will love it too?

Sometimes I read these posts and my mind explodes -- keep on pushing it up the hill then? The script is still alive. Screw the people that dropped the ball and you the writer -- find some new people to be it's champion.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
                How did you originally find the producer?

Also, pretend none of that happened -- you still have a great spec -- why can't you just go back to querying it as the first thing never happened and just use that as proof it was good enough to gain interest in the project a few months ago -- so others will love it too?

Sometimes I read these posts and my mind explodes -- keep on pushing it up the hill then? The script is still alive. Screw the people that dropped the ball and you the writer -- find some new people to be it's champion.
                Thank you, this is my mindset. I've never queried an agency before, so I have to figure out how to get my log-line + backstory (had some heat from agents at the big 2). I just don't know if I should email or call an agency, if they're even looking for talent due to Covid and Hollywood practically shut down. I guess that's the sort of advice I'm hoping to find here. Does the history of this script help me get representation and how best to message that.

I met the producer through a mutual friend who's in the industry. Gave him the pitch and he read the script after a few months.

Comment

In circumstances like this (and I'm sort of in one myself) I remember advice from my mentor (a WGA award winner, now deceased, who also headed the story side of a company that did THE GRADUATE and BRIDGE TO FAR). Push ahead and then deal with stuff if someone is interested in making it. No one will decline money if something tangible arises. So push on and see if anyone is serious, then deal with the consequences. Bon chance.

PS - I'm personally mentioning only that my script has gone to studio X and a few other places. Let them deal with it if they like it.

Comment

Thank you, this is my mindset. I've never queried an agency before, so I have to figure out how to get my log-line + backstory (had some heat from agents at the big 2). I just don't know if I should email or call an agency, if they're even looking for talent due to Covid and Hollywood practically shut down. I guess that's the sort of advice I'm hoping to find here. Does the history of this script help me get representation and how best to message that.

I met the producer through a mutual friend who's in the industry. Gave him the pitch and he read the script after a few months.
                    Managers are the way to go. Also did you check, those agents might already have left to be managers as the top 2 agencies seemingly are not going to agree with the WGA anytime soon and yada yada -- they are out of the writer game it seems. So even more managers (that were agents) are popping up.

So Id e-query managers with logline and let that speak for itself for now. I assume the concept is high concept to generate that much heat so quickly?

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
                      Managers are the way to go. Also did you check, those agents might already have left to be managers as the top 2 agencies seemingly are not going to agree with the WGA anytime soon and yada yada -- they are out of the writer game it seems. So even more managers (that were agents) are popping up.

So Id e-query managers with logline and let that speak for itself for now. I assume the concept is high concept to generate that much heat so quickly?

Thank you for the insight. I will look through this site. I'm sure there's recommendations on who to query somewhere here.

The story is high concept.

Comment

Thank you for the insight. I will look through this site. I'm sure there's recommendations on who to query somewhere here.
                        This isn't our site, of course. These are just our forums which are a part of our whole site. (You can get to the main site via the top logo on the left or the "Main Site" button in the center above the forums.)

Our actual site has over 33,000 film and TV deals listed. It is subscription based, so please be aware of that. But you can run searches for different genres, keywords in loglines (or titles), etc. to narrow down your research. It's a pretty easy, straightforward way to find out what stories in the specific genre of your script have been set up, when, who wrote them, what the logline is, what producers, companies, studios or networks are attached, and most importantly in your case, who the reps were for the writer -- agent, manager and/or lawyer, as known. This can frequently help you figure out who to possibly reach out to.

May not be for you or what you need, so please keep that in mind.
                        Will
                        Done Deal Pro
                        www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Originally posted by Done Deal Pro View Post
                          This isn't our site, of course. These are just our forums which are a part of our whole site. (You can get to the main site via the top logo on the left or the "Main Site" button in the center above the forums.)

Our actual site has over 33,000 film and TV deals listed. It is subscription based, so please be aware of that. But you can run searches for different genres, keywords in loglines (or titles), etc. to narrow down your research. It's a pretty easy, straightforward way to find out what stories in the specific genre of your script have been set up, when, who wrote them, what the logline is, what producers, companies, studios or networks are attached, and most importantly in your case, who the reps were for the writer -- agent, manager and/or lawyer, as known. This can frequently help you figure out who to possibly reach out to.

May not be for you or what you need, so please keep that in mind.
                          Thank you for the info. I did the paid subscription and will take advantage of this fantastic resource. Cheers.

Comment

Thank you for the info. I did the paid subscription and will take advantage of this fantastic resource. Cheers.
                            You bet. I hope it can help.

And in all fairness to the discussion and to try to help, what we see some folks do is run various reports/searches via our site to narrow down who they will like to reach out to, first. Next see what contact we have, then possibly sign up for like IMDBpro, for a month, to find any & all contact additional contact info needed. As the kids today like to say, "your mileage may vary," but at the very least you should be able to find who you would like to target, fairly easily. Also, folks here can sometimes help with contact info for different agents, managers, etc.
                            Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 09-10-2020, 10:51 AM.
                            Will
                            Done Deal Pro
                            www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Just an update. Spoke with the producer this week and he says he sent the script to a director and will give me feedback. The director was intrigued by their conversation so it looks like he's still in the game. I'll still do my queries, but at least I know he's still got marbles in the game to a degree. Thanks to everyone.

Comment

Working...
                              X