Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2014, 01:38 PM   #1
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 359
Default Prudent?

Hello everyone!

I hope all here today are doing well.

My question today is: I am wondering if it is prudent to let producers know you have other production companies looking at the same script?

I have three production companies (so far) that have requested and are (hopefully) currently reading one of my feature scripts.

I read somewhere (it was probably here in the forums) that you can let them know other producers/prod co's are also reviewing and showing interest.

It was said that this mention can "kick" them into gear, as we all know that getting the proverbial ball rolling in this line of work can sometimes be slooooooow, and writers may not hear back from anyone for quite a long time.

Of course I do not wish to push or rush anyone, but I would like the prod co's to know that they are not the only ones interested in my script so they won't "lollygag" and wait a long time to review and potentially consider, when another prod co may be faster than them in this aspect.

Has anyone else here heard of this and has anyone else done this? And if you did what were the results?

Or is this not cool to do?

Also, what are your recommendations as far as how long to wait after their request and the sending of the script before contacting them to find out how it is going. (it's only been a week for mine, and I know that's not very long to wait, and I am not planning on contacting anyone yet for a while longer if no word).

I thank you all in advance and wish everyone here much success in all you do.
Darthclaw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 03:55 PM   #2
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 220
Default Re: Prudent?

Don't do it unless they personally ask or send you a release form that asks which other companies are reading
BillG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 04:01 PM   #3
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Los Angeles, London
Posts: 135
Default Re: Prudent?

Don't do it if other companies are only agreeing to read.

Do it if other companies are engaging in a real conversation to option/buy the material or sign you as a client.
keithcalder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 04:35 PM   #4
wcmartell's Avatar
Join Date: May 2005
Location: studio city
Posts: 5,940
Default Re: Prudent?

What Keith said.

With novels and short stories, it's one at a time and you would want to disclose if some other publisher was reading the same material.

With screenplays, it's normal for a script to go wide and have maybe fifty or more companies reading the same script at the same time. It's just the way things are done. So no reason to mention it, and mentioning it might seem like a challenge. If a producer asks me if anyone else is reading the script, I will be honest. But no reason to mention that if you aren't asked.

Recently I had two companies interested in an option/purchase agreement on the same script and I told each about the other... in hopes of starting some sort of bidding war. The bidding war did not happen. Each offered to *match* the other guy's price. So it came down to which would be the best home for my script.

You don't want to do anything that may seem like it's challenging the producer before they've made you an offer on your script. That's burning the bridge in front of you. A million companies will read your script, it means nothing. It's a job application.

Free Script Tips:
wcmartell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 11:59 AM   #5
ProfessorChomp's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 415
Default Re: Prudent?

Companies will already assume other companies are receiving your script, unless you told them it's an exclusive submission. Personally, if I'm an exec and I get an email saying "FYI, other companies are reading this as well", my first thought will be "And nobody's bitten yet." But Keith is also right - if you get an option offer or something, maybe make that call and tell them it's about to be taken off the table.

Two weeks is the minimum (in my opinion) you should wait before any type of follow up after a submission.
ProfessorChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 01:28 PM   #6
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 359
Default Re: Prudent?

Thank you everyone for your words of advice.

I guess I read the posting wrong when it said someone recommended letting prod co's know others are reading.

Perhaps they meant when they get an offer.
That makes more sense.

I hope all here are well and that everyone is getting closer to their dream.
Darthclaw13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:56 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Done Deal Pro

eXTReMe Tracker