Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on the US-Mexican Border

I suspect the answer is "no" but is anyone aware of a place along the US-Mexico border where US Citizens wouldn't have their passports checked driving from the United States into Mexico?

i.e. could you drive into Mexico without speaking to an official or presenting documentation?

I expect going the other way the entry requirements are extremely strict.

Re: Question on the US-Mexican Border

If you are talking about driving through an official port or on an official road (without having to drive through the desert or sneak across) then the answer is no. Both countries check everyone coming into their countries. It is also not uncommon for Customs and Border Protection to check citizens going outbound into Mexico (mainly looking to stop the flow of weapons and drug money).

Comment

This is a relatively recent development. It was only ~ 5 years ago that you could go across the international bridges with a driver's license. So, I guess it depends on 'when' your story is set

Comment

Interesting. Pretty much thought that was the answer. Thanks, guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhodi View Post
          I suspect the answer is "no" but is anyone aware of a place along the US-Mexico border where US Citizens wouldn't have their passports checked driving from the United States into Mexico?

i.e. could you drive into Mexico without speaking to an official or presenting documentation?

I expect going the other way the entry requirements are extremely strict.
          From what I've seen crossing from El Paso into Juarez both on foot and by car, they don't always check. I was just there over Christmas, crossed 3 times, and my documents were only checked crossing back into the U.S. That said, I am a Latina, so if your character is white, this may not apply.

Comment

"i.e. could you drive into Mexico without speaking to an official or presenting documentation?"

Yes. People do this every day. It depends on the vehicle and driver and conditions at the moment. Also, assuming you have nothing to declare. Agents have and use some discretion. In real life, you wouldn't want to bank on this and things can change at a moment's notice, but for story purposes, entirely plausible.

Comment

We drove into Mexico by accident in 2008 or so. We were just going to get up close to the border and then suddenly we were driving straight through customs and boom-- we were in Mexico. No passports, no ID for our son... we turned around and drove out immediately because we were kind of worried about whether we'd be able to get back in, especially with no ID for our son. The guy at customs asked how long we'd been there "Uh, maybe 7 minutes, with the traffic..." "You should've stayed! It's a nice town!"

This was Ojinaga.

Comment

Thanks, guys. This is really good info. I assume some custom checkpoints are not open 24/7 so the time of day might be a factor as well.

Comment

In other news, the Yelp reviews for border crossing points make for some interesting reading.

Comment

I was detained coming back after having some dental work done in Mexico. Border guards can be turds.

Comment

I drive across at least once a year at Lukeville, AZ. Starting about three years ago US customs started stopping my vehicle when I was trying to exit the US to ask if we were carrying more than $10K in cash out of the US. It is not illegal to take cash out of the US...as long as you fill out the proper form.

Entering Mexico at Lukeville/Sonoita crossing there is a red light/green light system where every 20th? vehicle is stopped ...the other 19 go thru without any stopping whatsoever. In all my years, I think one time I got the red light and was asked for ID and proof of auto insurance...took about 90 seconds.

There are however TWO things a person should never, ever try taking INTO Mexico...weapons and ammunition. BIG no-nos.

Comment

I've crossed into Mexico about a dozen times in the past decade, by car, either at Mexicali or at Tijuana.

In both locations, there was a visual inspection of the outside of my car while I drove through a series of red lights, but I never had to stop for more than a few seconds, nothing was inspected, and I never spoke to any sort of border control officer. They just glanced at me and waved me through. There's no significant line and the delay is under 10 minutes.

Coming back, on the other hand, the delay is usually at least 2.5 hours (and has been over 4), they check passports, they usually have me pop the trunk and glance in. I know plenty of people who have been diverted to secondary, which can take a couple of more hours depending on how much they decide to go through your stuff. If you have a trailer attached expected to go into secondary.

Comment

Working...
                        X