Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Martian

Interstellar. The movie about how the man's love for his daughter is more powerful than time and space... oh, and he has a son, too. But **** that kid. He wanted to be a farmer.

I really enjoyed the Martian. It had its cheesy moments, but I liked its focus on science and ingenuity. I love seeing movies about extremely capable people overcoming seemingly impossible obstacles. It delivered on that.

Comment

Originally posted by UnequalProductions View Post
      Interstellar. The movie about how the man's love for his daughter is more powerful than time and space... oh, and he has a son, too. But **** that kid.
      No one likes Casey Affleck, in fiction or otherwise.
      I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Re: The Martian

I corrected the title of this thread. I had left out "The" originally.
        We're making a movie here, not a film! - Kit Ramsey

Comment

See, here's an example of why I love the source material:

http://www.slashfilm.com/the-martian-deleted-scene/

That terrific scene is right out of the script. I can't believe it was cut from the film. It's immensely entertaining in and of itself; it adds to the movie's most compelling scenario (Matt Damon as lone pioneer); and it tells us far more about the (absent) crew of the Hermes spacecraft than do any scenes that actually feature said crew -- who, when we finally meet them in the film, seem far less colorful than Matt Damon's account of them.

I would have much rather had this scene included than either the interminable musical montage of the spacecraft rounding the earth and the crew exchanging inanities with their families, or the cheering-world scenes at the end, which seem so over-the-top that they become reminiscent of The Truman Show and feel like a sendup.

And on top of it all, this cut scene even sets up the movie's final scene.

Comment

Well, saw it last night and really, really liked it. It doesn't have the suspense of Apollo 13, but it definitely had a lot of emotion in the moments at the end.

I still think my favorite of the year is Mad Max, but that's a different kind of movie.

I bought into all the science and was like, hell, let's go terraform Mars!

A must see.
            "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Anyone else notice Damon played the exact same character in The Martian and Interstellar less than one year apart? -- an astronaut stranded on an uninhabitable planet and begins losing it.
              I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Originally posted by FoxHound View Post
                Anyone else notice Damon played the exact same character in The Martian and Interstellar less than one year apart? -- an astronaut stranded on an uninhabitable planet and begins losing it.
                yes, the character named "Matt Damon"

Comment

Except that's not the case at all. I mean, yes, he plays stranded astronauts on uninhabitable planets. But what's notable about his character is The Martian is that he pointedly does not lose it, not at any time. Indeed, he remains pretty unflappable, apart from one moment of understandable frustration when his Hab explodes and his crops are ruined. Otherwise, his equanimity is quite impressive.

Mind you, in The Martian his character always had hope, and in Interstellar his character had none, so the difference in reactions is somewhat comprehensible.

Comment

Saw it last night and really enjoyed it. It's not a perfect movie by any means but I didn't really dwell on any issues because it was a fun ride.

I don't really understand the hate. Can screenwriters not enjoy movies anymore?

Comment

It was a good well-plotted film, but I felt nothing new here. Almost like I was watching Gravity + Prometheus spliced together. All the real science was also a bit dull. I mean, burning hydrogen to get water? Nothing mind-bending here. I think I learned that in grade 3.

Interstellar focused on cooler, more interesting topics like wormholes / black holes / extra dimensions. It also had 10x more mystery and suspense. I also recall tearing up 3 or 4 times watching Interstellar. I had 0 emotional breakdowns watching The Martian.

BTW, the visuals were stunning, but again, nothing new.
                      I have to disagree. I won't derail too much into my feelings on Interstellar, I think there's a thread on that film where I made my feelings on that film clear. But suffice it to say I did not tear up in Interstelar. I also don't think it did scientists justice, at all. The Martian got science and the community of science much, much, much better than Interstellar.

Interstellar involves theoretical (and well beyond) physics, so naturally it is going to be more mind-bending. It's really not a fair comparison to make. We should judge The Martian in its own right. I think it holds up. The science may not be mind-bending, but its still fun to see him problem solve.

I will say I think a TV mini-series or one or two year TV show would've probably been a more interesting form for the book, as it would've let them give more justice to each problem encountered.

I agree with some of the comments up-thread that the film did not cover Watney's sense of isolation very well. That's one reason I think a longer format show or mini-series would've been good.

As for the film being superficial - I kind of don't care. Not every film has to aim for some mind-blowing revelation on the human condition that's actually probably a fortune cookie cliche (which is how I feel about Interstellar, for instance). It's a B-movie, it's exciting, it's funny, and it's witty. For 2 hours, I was entertained. And I thought it held up to the book quite well. Both were limited, but quite good at exactly what they wanted to be.
                      Last edited by thirdman23; 10-14-2015, 09:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by slupo View Post
                        Saw it last night and really enjoyed it. It's not a perfect movie by any means but I didn't really dwell on any issues because it was a fun ride.

I don't really understand the hate. Can screenwriters not enjoy movies anymore?
                        I have found that in general the crowd here is more critical in a negative way than either the general public or even many paid critics. Then again, I tend to like more movies than the vocal members here, so maybe I am easy to please.

At any rate, I would never use opinions expressed here as a reason to view or not view a movie, even though the opinions may be right.
                        We're making a movie here, not a film! - Kit Ramsey

Comment

Working...
                        X