Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Movies & Television > Television
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2017, 05:45 AM   #11
TheConnorNoden

Default Re: 20/20 on Harvy Weinstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfress View Post
What would you do Connor? You just inked a three script deal with Miramax and you attend a company party where you see Weinstein put his hand up a woman's skirt in the hallway. She says no and runs off crying. You calling the police? I can't say that I would.
Maybe success would change things but sitting by doesn't sit right with me. A few months ago I was sacked from my job and arrested for defending a foreign delivery driver from a violent thug. It took a huge toll on my life and I'm still recovering from it. And I wouldn't change a thing. The alternative would have been standing by and letting him get attacked and I can't live with that. Same difference here. I don't see the point in a career if you can look the other way on women getting abused. They may have their reasons but it's still cowardice in my eyes.
TheConnorNoden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 09:49 PM   #12
Darthclaw13
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheConnorNoden View Post
Maybe success would change things but sitting by doesn't sit right with me. A few months ago I was sacked from my job and arrested for defending a foreign delivery driver from a violent thug. It took a huge toll on my life and I'm still recovering from it. And I wouldn't change a thing. The alternative would have been standing by and letting him get attacked and I can't live with that. Same difference here. I don't see the point in a career if you can look the other way on women getting abused. They may have their reasons but it's still cowardice in my eyes.
Hear Hear Connor!! Good on you mate. I appreciate you stating your mind unashamedly.

Being a female, I can understand why many women keep this stuff silent for years. The shame of it plus the fear no one will believe you or that many will "think you deserved it" is a real thing.

Fortunately I haven't had to deal with this type of thing in any job/career I have had. It is nice though when men stand up for what is the right thing no matter what it may do to them personally/professionally.

On another note, it is a shame that if weinstein co. shuts down that means many people who work there that had nothing to do with that mess (like secretaries, accountants, office peeps, even the janitors,etc.) will lose their jobs do to no fault of their own. No one talks about that collateral damage. All those people could lose their jobs because some deviant a-hole couldn't behave himself.
Darthclaw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 06:13 AM   #13
Madbandit

Quote:
What would you do Connor? You just inked a three script deal with Miramax and you attend a company party where you see Weinstein put his hand up a woman's skirt in the hallway. She says no and runs off crying. You calling the police? I can't say that I would.
Back in junior high school (I don't want to post the name but it's the school John Turturro and his brother Nick went to), during lunch period, a kid brought a can of Mace. Another kid took the can and sprayed a good amount of it in the air. Three other kids were around the table and scattered away. I was a table away, and I saw the spraying. Some minutes later, some cafeteria workers were coughing. Teachers were called in. So was the principal. I told them what happened, and the first two kids were expelled. The kids in my class hated my guts more than usual, and the first kid called me a mother-****** before getting kicked out of school.

Doing the right thing isn't necessarily the "good thing", if it gets you in a **** load of trouble, but if people are in danger, the right thing has to be done. At the same time, in the midst of Weinstein scandal, it's troubling to see that people are being shamed of not dropping a dime on Harvey, and I'M NOT DEFENDING HIM OR HIS ACTIONS. Not everything, like this hellstorm, is cut and dry.

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore
Madbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 02:09 PM   #14
figment

Here goes another one, from LA Times, via deadline: writer/director James Toback.

http://deadline.com/2017/10/james-to...es-1202192669/

I hope it continues until everyone of these serial abusers are OUT.

ETA: And an agent at APA too, that reps young talent.

http://deadline.com/2017/10/apa-agen...ns-1202192266/

Last edited by figment : 10-22-2017 at 03:54 PM.
figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 05:43 AM   #15
jonpiper

Originally Posted by Cyfress

Who's ready to step up to the plate? I wonder if anyone in Hollywood has the guts to make a movie about this.

We've seen plenty of movies about abusive Priests and whistle blowers in government and industry. But where is the artistic outrage when the finger points home?

Last edited by jonpiper : 10-23-2017 at 06:02 AM.
jonpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:38 AM   #16
Madbandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonpiper View Post
Originally Posted by Cyfress

Who's ready to step up to the plate? I wonder if anyone in Hollywood has the guts to make a movie about this.

We've seen plenty of movies about abusive Priests and whistle blowers in government and industry. But where is the artistic outrage when the finger points home?
Answer: the Hollywood blacklist of the 50s.

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore
Madbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 08:28 AM   #17
Cyfress

If you are an actor/director/producer in Hollywood right now and you know in your past you for sure sexually harassed an up and coming actress, you are probably quaking in your boots.
Cyfress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:55 AM   #18
karsten

Quote:
If you are an actor/director/producer in Hollywood right now and you know in your past you for sure sexually harassed an up and coming actress, you are probably quaking in your boots.
> actress

That's a bit selective:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...n-recalls.html
karsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 08:30 AM   #19
Cyfress

Left and right people are being called out now. Dustin Hoffman. Brett Ratner. Kevin Spacey. James Toback. Jeremy Piven. It's going to just keep coming. For the first time in the whole thing, Weinstein's fat face is probably smirking.
Cyfress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:59 AM   #20
purplenurple
User

I am not a "Hollywood insider" nor do I live anywhere even close to California much less LA. I have always heard the term casting couch so I'm not surprised by what is happening. Let's face it in 2017, what really causes us surprise anymore? Truthfully I'm irritated by the people who enabled this behavior from Weinstein. In order to do it on such an epic level as he did he had tons of enablers... Agents who sent their actresses for meetings knowing what-was-what, fellow actors who knew what-was-what, producers and assistants or general office people (men & WOMEN) who knew what-was-what, lawyers who got him out of trouble time and time again who knew what-was-what.

The fascinating thing about these Hollywood A and B listers who looked the other way and rolled their eyes at ole Harvey's perverted "antics" then leaped at a chance to work with him again... These are the same people who were disgusted by middle America's politics last election. I don't think most regular people know serial rapists and condone it.

Here's a funny thing about human nature and power positions. I have never ever had a job whose stakes were as high as making a Oscar film and 40 plus million dollar budgets. I've had regular jobs and write as a hobby. And in these jobs I've seen some good supervisors and some awful ones. Employees will position themselves in the oddest ways for the favor of the supervisor even when it comes down to scheduling (they need Saturdays off). For any of you who've worked entry level jobs you know what I mean. I knew a supervisor who dumped a female employee when his wife found out and that female employee sued - the guy was removed and she was made supervisor. Then... Ha ha... Here's the funny part. Are you with me? She then proceeded to sleep with a few male employees which led to a physical fight in the parking lot between two of those employees - police were called. Both men were fired and she was not. Abuse of power is not entirely a male trait.
purplenurple is offline   Reply With Quote