Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spy

Anyone here seen this? I thought it was hilarious. Granted, the hilarity was enhanced for me because Melissa McCarthy in her first two undercover disguises looked incredibly like my mother.

I had no idea Jason Statham could be so funny - he played his part to the hilt. Rose Byrne too. Bit too much reliance on f---- to make the dialogue funny, but many laugh out loud moments.

I read some think piece about all the humiliation Melissa's character endures but she so clearly kicks butt (literally too) and the characters who a cruel to her are so clearly villains or simply stupid or unsympathetic. Melissa triumphs over them all. She's fantastic.

When I saw the 1:55 runtime I was dubious but it only dragged at the very end. Just really fun all around.
    Last edited by bmcthomas; 06-20-2015, 07:48 PM.

Re: Spy

I agree it's very funny, and a lot of women in the audience were cheering her on for all of us.

Comment

It worked well. I liked it.

(beat)

I do think if the protagonist had been a guy, the reviews would not have been forgiving about some things - such as there being scant foundation for her very high skill level with weapons and hand-to-hand combat. It's one thing for that to appear and surprise us; it's something else when she suddenly starts flooring trained bodyguards. And it's not as if she defeated the thugs by being inventive in the moment; she beat many of them by using straight-up Jason Statham kinds of moves.

Like, as much as I enjoyed the fight scene in the restaurant kitchen, it ultimately went over the top re her character. And the fact she never seemed winded, while her equally never-in-the-field colleague (Miranda Hart's character) was pointedly winded. If only Feig had shown an early hint of Susan Cooper being in shape.

Just now I realized: Some day they could reboot this film with a male lead.
      _______

Add: Looks like Spy won't do as well as The Heat worldwide, and lower US BO may be the reason. Foreign BO may be equal.
      Last edited by Manchester; 06-21-2015, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Manchester View Post
        It worked well. I liked it.

(beat)

I do think if the protagonist had been a guy, the reviews would not have been forgiving about some things - such as there being scant foundation for her very high skill level with weapons and hand-to-hand combat. It's one thing for that to appear and surprise us; it's something else when she suddenly starts flooring trained bodyguards. And it's not as if she defeated the thugs by being inventive in the moment; she beat many of them by using straight-up Jason Statham kinds of moves.

Like, as much as I enjoyed the fight scene in the restaurant kitchen, it ultimately went over the top re her character. And the fact she never seemed winded, while her equally never-in-the-field colleague (Miranda Hart's character) was pointedly winded. If only Feig had shown an early hint of Susan Cooper being in shape.

Just now I realized: Some day they could reboot this film with a male lead.
        Well...there is the bit where they show her old training footage, and she's very skilled and fit, but that was ten years ago, and nothing in the film suggested that she'd done anything to keep those skills from being rusty.

OTOH, one of the trailers for this film was American Ultra

So I guess when that comes out we'll see if your theory holds.

Was anyone else surprised that the fight scenes were so visceral? I did not expect that level of gore in a comedy. Didn't expect the surprise penis! either.

Comment

I enjoyed it as I would enjoy a cartoon. It made me laugh, especially the inspired bits like all of McCarthy's interactions with "Aldo" -- the scene where they're trying to untie each other, hysterical -- and the mice in the CIA basement. The British actress who played "Nancy" (Miranda Hart?) came close to stealing the picture.

I agree with bmcthomas that the violence got pretty graphic. IMO, unnecessarily so. It would have been just as funny without it (the action was at a cartoon level anyway, what with McCarthy turning into Jackie Chan). I noticed that in "The Intervew" as well, and it seems to be a trend in comedies now.

After the film, when my friend and I got to the car he said that he had already forgotten the film. FWIW I didn't feel that way about Pitch Perfect 2, which I'm still telling people about. I realize that it's comparing apples and oranges, but they are both comedies starring women.

Late Night Writer

Comment

Best laugh I've had a movies for a long time. And even without the humor, it would still be a good action flick.
            TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

Hilarious. Just watched it on Amazon.

Comment

I had the impression that she had been completely GREAT 10 years ago but ended up backing off because she liked that guy and and let him have all the attention -- she had surpressed it all those years and lost all confidence after letting him be the star. But then when it was her time to use it, WOOSH, she let herself be herself and it all came back.

I thought it was awesome and I think Melissa McCarthy gets better and better with every movie.

Comment

Working...
                X