Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Advice From Writers

Just saw this tweet and think we should just post advice from other writers that was helpful. Not long stories just fortune cookie advice that makes us feel good inside.

C. Robert Cargill
    @Massawyrm
    No one in the history of the world has ever written anything that everyone likes, let alone loves. So stop thinking you have to.

Identify your audience, write for them, and you'll find the people that get YOU.

And stop worrying so god damned much.

Re: Good Advice From Writers

"Calculate Less" -- Brian Koppelman

http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...5&postcount=33

Comment

What happened to all these esteemed members? I see them in the archived threads, but haven't seen them around here this year. Of course, I wasn't around back then, so I am not sure what other writers as famous as Brian were here.

Comment

I scared them away. No this place was more "toxic" a few years ago but still lightyears from twitter. But Brian went to twitter mostly and podcast. Craig podcast... I mean over time just more avenues opened up for them and of course when you give advice as a pro eventually you get crapped on on DD or any message board and you just leave out of frustration. I give crown currently to Jeff Lowell, but he's smart and only chimes in once in a blue moon. He's busy actually doing the job we all want!

I think I had a 3 year period of more I stopped posting.

Anyway this is supposed to be good advice. Brian is still one of the best! His Vines (6 second clips -- is tiktok the new vine asks old man) where great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mnc8o257Yzg

(you go a bit crazy if you watch this all at once... but great stuff!)

Comment

Move your climax to the end of act 1 turning point.
          "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
            Move your climax to the end of act 1 turning point.
            Nice! But do you think this works for comedy too?

Comment

"Shut the f*ck up and just write." - me

Comment

A professional writer is an amateur who didn't quit - Richard Bach
                "Writing is easy. All you do is sit staring at a blank sheet of paper until drops of blood form on your forehead"... Gene Fowler

Comment

(paraphrasing) "There are no rules in fiction. You can do anything you can get away with. But nobody has ever gotten away with much." - Flannery O'Connor

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
                    I scared them away. No this place was more "toxic" a few years ago but still lightyears from twitter. But Brian went to twitter mostly and podcast. Craig podcast... I mean over time just more avenues opened up for them and of course when you give advice as a pro eventually you get crapped on on DD or any message board and you just leave out of frustration. I give crown currently to Jeff Lowell, but he's smart and only chimes in once in a blue moon. He's busy actually doing the job we all want!

Anyway this is supposed to be good advice. Brian is still one of the best! His Vines (6 second clips -- is tiktok the new vine asks old man) where great.

Too bad. I would have enjoyed their wisdom in here.

Comment

I remember this from James Cameron in an interview: "Give your character a goal and make him go through absolute hell and back to reach it."

Comment

Nice! But do you think this works for comedy too?
                        yes, it forces you to rethink about how to escalate the story from a high point.
                        "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

this is a gem. funny thing... I have Michael Clayton open on my desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
                            this is a gem. funny thing... I have Michael Clayton open on my desktop.

Agree. Thanks for posting, Bono. Totally bookmarked. I've done Julia Cameron's Morning Pages before, I'm not sure I can necessarily link it to a period of heightened creativity in my life, but I think it's worth another shot. I think what it does is that it essentially puts you in the Zone. And we all know that ain't easy.

Comment

"If you have any young friends who aspire to become writers, the second greatest favor you can do them is to present them with copies of The Elements of Style. The first greatest, of course, is to shoot them now, while they're happy."
                              -- Dorothy Parker

Comment

Working...
                              X