Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WeScreenplay Full Coverage package

I have purchased Wescreenplay's basic coverage package of $69.99 twice in years past for two different versions of a script and received a pass on each one. I've got a new draft of the script I am hoping may at least receive a consider now, and I am wanting this time to purchase their full coverage package at $99.99. With this one they do a marketability analysis and give you recommendations on how to sell the screenplay. Has anyone ever purchased this level of coverage from Wescreenplay and found this part of it helpful in any way?

Re: Wescreenplay Full Coverage package

Originally posted by Cynthia Hanson View Post
    I have purchased Wescreenplay's basic coverage package of $69.99 twice in years past for two different versions of a script and received a pass on each one. I've got a new draft of the script I am hoping may at least receive a consider now, and I am wanting this time to purchase their full coverage package at $99.99. With this one they do a marketability analysis and give you recommendations on how to sell the screenplay. Has anyone ever purchased this level of coverage from Wescreenplay and found this part of it helpful in any way?
    I cannot stress this enough -- no one will give a crap about Wescreenplay or whether or not they gave you a consider or a pass.

They are a non-entity in the world of screenwriting.

Please do not throw money at these services IF you are doing so in hopes of getting a "consider" from them when it won't matter anyway.

If you place in the Nicholl Fellowship or maybe even the Page contest you can possibly translate that into getting reads through your own queries by mentioning that. Or if you simply have an interesting logline and you hit the right manager on the right day, that'll get you a read. Wescreenplay liking something will very likely not get you reads.

To answer your actual question:

I'm assuming Wescreenplay's "marketing analysis" is some type of crap, as well. The way you sell a screenplay/get reps is through your own querying of managers or sometimes production companies who may be willing to read your script, if it interests them. If a company is charging you money to tell you how to "sell" your screenplay, that is a bogus thing to do, as it does not work this way.

Mostly people get reads by:

--querying managers on their own
    -- working in the industry and getting reads by people they know.
    -- placing high in a WELL KNOWN/respected contests and using that as leverage
    -- knowing someone who passes your work along

As with my answer to your previous question, NO company is going to do this for you. YOU have to do it for you. If a company is operating under the guise of, "just pay us money and we'll tell you how to sell your script" they are LYING to you.

IF it were that easy, we would have all done that by now.

That's not to say you shouldn't get feedback. You are absolutely correct in getting feedback on your work as that is what helps any writer improve. There are note-givers listed on this board that many of us have used too, if you were looking for a notes person that others have found helpful.

Comment

Re: WeScreenplay Full Coverage package

In this case, if you're going to throw money at something, it's better to throw it at something the industry actually uses. Even though The Black List is very hit or miss, at least it has a name behind that the entire industry identifies as "quality," material.

There are two ways to sell your screenplay and the second way is dependent upon the first.

1. Write an undeniably amazing script.

2. Get someone to read it and get behind it.

That's what you have to do. You don't need to pay someone to tell you that.

To add onto figment's comments on the HOW for #2

Go to expos-- take classes to improve your craft
      Get high ratings on The Black List
      Win a fellowship
      Join a writer's group
      Network with other writers
      Send query letters (important enough to mention multiple times)
      Make connections on social media

Everything else figment offers is spot on.

FA4
      "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by Cynthia Hanson View Post
        I have used their Comprehensive Package ($199.99) twice now. The second time I received feedback from a reader with an MFA in Screenwriting that had also provided coverage for Bluhouse. These were the best notes I've ever received and that includes The Screenplay Mechanic and Coverage Ink.

Now, why pay for coverage? Sure, there's a ton of folks here that'll tell you to just write an amazing script, but then you see a ton of these independent films that could have used some feedback on those scripts before they ever got into production. If you're a solo-writer that's just one reason.

But here's the real reason for me - I had 5 friends that have worked on independent horror projects (I write horror/comedy) agree to read this same script. One responded a week later. The other 4 I have followed up with and they still haven't read the script. One of them has even attached me as an EP to their project and wants me to clean their script up! So the question becomes: how long do you wait on your "circle" to read and let you know?

Now let's say you're new and you think it's good and you send it out and the pitch was good enough to get you read, but they pass. Are they going to help you figure out how to make it better? No. Year ago when someone that represented Moon Bloodgood to read my zombie script set in 18th century New Orleans. He passed. I asked for just a little feedback. He was kind enough to email to tell me they don't do that. After multiple rewrites with a lot of mixed notes I let that one go. I've written 15 features now and at least 8 shorts and without trustworthy, thoughtful feedback you cannot improve. No one...let me repeat it...NO ONE...writes a great script in a vacuum.

Otherwise, a lot of managers and writer's groups would be pointless.
        "All of us trying to be the camera behind the camera behind the camera. The last story in line. The Truth" Chuck Palahniuk - Haunted

Comment

Join a writers group. They're free (unless you're renting space) and invaluable, as long as you find the right people. If you can't find one, start your own.

No one should pay for services like this when there are better options.

Comment

Cynthia,

I absolutely love your desire, eagerness and hopefulness but I'm also worried that they will also lead you to being fleeced. Especially as this thread follows hot on the heels of your StoryRocket thread, which is along the same lines.

These services offer you nothing except the assurance that they'll prey on your enthusiasm. That's not to say all of them are unscrupulous but even the 'honest' ones know their opinion means nothing in Hollywood and anyone offering 'marketability' analyses and advice on how to sell your screenplay is offering you nothing but bullshit.

In reverse order: the only way to sell your screenplay lies not in charts, graphs, and astute trend analysis but in writing a bloody good script. Even if it doesn't get bought it will get you noticed and, very likely, hired. Remember, you're not writing a script with the expectation that it will sell and be produced - although that's the dream - you're writing to get noticed and given a shot as a pro-screenwriter by working on projects the studios do want to make.

And as for coverage and marketability analysis - as I advised you in your last thread, get it up on The Black List. That's the one paid service that does open doors when hustling for reads and does have industry players scouring its array of script. In addition, and after some research, I would recommend TitanCreed and ExtHollywoodDay - not only do they give you thorough and pro-level opinion on your script and your writing but they will also help you improve via back and forth exchange after they've delivered their verdict.

If you know for sure that you're good then jump straight to the Black List if you want but please don't waste your money and - most of all - your hopes on anyone that pretends to offer you inner secrets and master plans. WeScreenplay are nobodies - and I say the same about similar services so it's nothing personal against WeScreenplay - and I don't care if someone, somewhere liked their feedback. Their opinion means nothing, nada, zip, zero, nowt. It doesn't matter if they 'pass' or 'consider', their opinion is meaningless - will not open doors - and I wouldn't even trust their opinion to judge a script, anyway.

And even if you have a script idea that is not what Hollywood is looking for - you can still get management and job offers based on the quality of your writing. So....

Write.
            Write good.
            Get reviewed.
            Adapt to feedback.
            Submit to The Black List.
            And the top comps, if you wish.
            Then hustle to get industry eyes on your script.

That's it. That's the key, the formula, the marketability analysis and sales methodology.
            M.A.G.A.

Comment

Originally posted by docgonzo View Post
              Join a writers group. They're free (unless you're renting space) and invaluable, as long as you find the right people. If you can't find one, start your own.

No one should pay for services like this when there are better options.
              Agree. Or if you want to spend a little money, take an online screenwriting classs. (UCLA has a great program.) I was part of a writers group that grew out of one of those classes - the students just stayed together after the class was over.

Comment

Cynthia, I'll read the script for free and give you feedback if you are looking for a fresh set of eyes to give you some insight on how an outsider would view your story.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
                  Agree. Or if you want to spend a little money, take an online screenwriting classs. (UCLA has a great program.) I was part of a writers group that grew out of one of those classes - the students just stayed together after the class was over.
                  I did the same as well. We had a group that stayed together for years. Lots of people went on to work on shows (or were working on one at the time). Can't recommend UCLA enough.

Comment

Working...
                  X