Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pro Bono Script Coverage

Hello everybody! I've been helping people with their screenplays on and off for several years now and decided that I'd take the plunge into deeper waters. I'm looking to get my name out there and so I gotta pay my dues. I'm willing to give you coverage on your screenplay (up to 120 pages) with a 2 page synopsis and up to 3 pages of comments. Please email me at [email protected] to set something up.
    My writing doesn't have a muse, it has a jealous mistress always wanting attention.

Please click for my latest blog post.

Re: Pro Bono Script Coverage

I'm going to give a shout-out to Martin. He has a very good eye for what makes a screenplay work - and what doesn't. He's detailed in his notes and precise in his recommendations. I'd highly recommend him to anyone looking to get solid feedback on their screenplay.

Comment

I have also recently used Martin's coverage service and found his comments concise and accurate in identifying my screenplay's shortcomings and very helpful in developing it further. Would recommend.

Comment

Originally posted by DangoForth View Post
        I'm going to give a shout-out to Martin. He has a very good eye for what makes a screenplay work - and what doesn't. He's detailed in his notes and precise in his recommendations. I'd highly recommend him to anyone looking to get solid feedback on their screenplay.
        I'll second that. I used him recently and was very satisfied with his feedback and detailed notes. Highly recommend using him.

Comment

Thanks guys, I'm glad I could help. I've had a very good response from the folks here at DDP and there are some great stories out there! I've got about a 7 day turnaround with my current workload, but if any DDP members are still in need of coverage let me know. Email me at [email protected]
          My writing doesn't have a muse, it has a jealous mistress always wanting attention.

Please click for my latest blog post.

Comment

Originally posted by DangoForth View Post
            Originally posted by justin View Post
            I have also recently used Martin's coverage service and found his comments concise and accurate in identifying my screenplay's shortcomings and very helpful in developing it further. Would recommend.
            Originally posted by ricther View Post
            I'll second that. I used him recently and was very satisfied with his feedback and detailed notes. Highly recommend using him.
            OK, this puzzles me.

A guy signs up for an account at DDP, says he'll send you notes for free (or is "Pro Bono" some sort of U2 thing?), and you guys e-mail your script to him. Why? (not that there's anything wrong with it) Or was it simply, "It's free, so why not?"

Comment

Originally posted by Manchester View Post
              Or was it simply, "It's free, so why not?"
              This. It ended up working out pretty well.

Comment

Originally posted by Manchester View Post
                OK, this puzzles me.

A guy signs up for an account at DDP, says he'll send you notes for free (or is "Pro Bono" some sort of U2 thing?), and you guys e-mail your script to him. Why? (not that there's anything wrong with it) Or was it simply,"It's free, so why not?"
                Pert near. I've got a spec going on the side. I've gotten feedback from some screenwriting buddies. Wanted to see what he might come up with, which was pretty much the same feedback I'd gotten from others. Didn't cost me a thing and it was good analysis from someone I didn't know. Note: he didn't praise the script, but gave solid reasons for what he felt worked and didn't. Definitely not a snow job of someone looking for "bragging rights" that he could post on a website. Figured the least I could do is give a little shout-out for the time he spent reading it and giving notes.

Comment

Not sure whether your "why?" means why bother to get coverage at all or "why get free coverage when you could spend $100, $500 or even $1,000 on it?"

One the first point, I think that getting coverage on your scripts is not only the best way of improving that script but of improving your screenwriting in general. On the second point, the assumption behind the question would seem to be that you get what you pay for. My own experience has been otherwise. The most expensive coverage I've ever purchased was by far the worst - and much, much worse than the coverage I got free from Martin. I actually made a small (and completely unsolicited) donation after receiving the coverage, so it wasn't free, and I was under no obligation to post a positive review by way of payment. I am currently working on a major revision of my script, and I am sure that the next version will be much better. Perhaps still a long way from great or even good enough, but even better is good. And I'm grateful to anyone who gives me an honest critique of my work to enable me to improve at a price I can afford.

Comment

I'll put my two cents in on Martin's coverage. First, a caveat: I've never used a script consultant/script coverage service before, so I'm not sure how to gauge the value that Martin offers compared to others out there. I usually run my stuff by a few trusted readers, and I thought Martin's notes compared favorably.

The biggest takeaway I got from Martin is that he's thorough. I sent him a fairly complex and somewhat unorthodox script, and it was clear from his notes that he didn't skim the thing while in line at the grocery store. Because he took the time to really analyze the script, I could immediately eliminate the ol' "Well, clearly the reader wasn't paying attention to my genius work- excuse when addressing his notes. I also appreciated that he evaluated the script for what it was, rather than trying to change the script into something that it's not.

If there's one thing that gave me pause, it was that Martin was quite positive about this script. Thus, he didn't have many suggestions for improving it (though the ones that he did give were worthy of my attention). I almost wish I would have sent him a weaker script so as to get more help for his trouble. Of course, there's always the possibility that the script wasn't that good and Martin doesn't know what he's doing, but I'd much rather keep my ego intact and believe that Martin is solid. So I guess that's my "note one negative thing so that my review doesn't look fraudulent- nugget.

Comment

Martin's coverage was insightful. Spot on and returned quickly. He was also very responsive to all follow-up questions. His knowledge of structure and characterization opened our eyes to problems we didn't even know existed.

A clear, concise, and unique grading system provides the writer with a quick, easy reference system to fundamental problems. This is the first time I have seen that approach, and it is a great asset to refer back to.

Will definitely use him again.

Comment

I've been searching for a way to pay Martin back for his insights so I'll say a few words here, because it is very clear that he took his time with my 119-page screenplay (oh God, I felt kind of sorry sending it his way).

He was thorough and precise, so I saw that he truly read what I wrote and didn't skim a page. Now, I've never used coverage services before (because they cost so damn much!) but I have read samples on what these $300-$500 coverages look like and I must say, Martin's truly does look like one of the better ones!

Highly recommended!!

Comment

Working...
                        X