No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Modest Success Story

Originally posted by gridlock'd View Post
    Congrats, Farmer. May I ask; what was it that made the phone start ringing? Sounds like you weren't getting a response from the queries then suddenly, you started getting offers. Did you do something differently to get the ball rolling?
    This. Also, congrats on that glow of a light at the end of the tunnel. May you need sunglasses and SPF-100 sunscreen soon.
    "You have idea 1, you're excited. It flops. You have idea 99, you're excited. It flops.
    Only a fool is excited by the 100th idea. Fools keep trying. God rewards fools." --Martin Hellman, paraphrased

Comment

Congrats Farmer.

Great encouraging words with your line analogy. Most days we feel like just giving up and going home.

Comment

Well done, Farmer. All the best.

Comment

Congratulations Farmer! Well done!

Its posts like this that keep so many of us writing.

Comment

Whatever encourages us all continue can only be hailed as a good news!

Hopefully it all works out well for you, dude. Congratulations on making it this far!
            Cufk, Tish, Sips.

Comment

I'm late to the party as usual, but congrats!

Comment

I love that metaphor too, UpandComing. Don't remember where I first heard it but I keep it in my right hand pocket. In my left hand pocket I keep: "Hollywood is the only place where you can die of encouragement."

As to the rest of you, thanks for the well wishes.

Originally posted by gridlock'd View Post
                May I ask; what was it that made the phone start ringing? Sounds like you weren't getting a response from the queries then suddenly, you started getting offers. Did you do something differently to get the ball rolling?
                Gridlock'd, let me clarify: I wasn't querying the same script for over a year. I've been querying many. And from what I've read around here I think I've been about average in the read request department at about 10% requests per script queried. Only half of those execs ever left the door open and I can count on one hand how many called to see what else I was working on (again, spanning the past 18 months or so). This latest script was actually on the lower end of that ratio as far as requests so I must have been lobbing a weak first pitch.

Hope that answers your question. The script is really only different from the others in that it's my latest. And it's hopefully therefore a product of the many failures and notes and cautionary tales that have come before it. Things just lined up on this one, I'm not going to delude myself. Preparation met opportunity. The vulgar term is "luck". What the ancient Chinese called the delicate art of Ti Ming. And to that variable I've always tried to hedge my bets with what I keep in my right hand pocket.

Comment

That has to be a damn good feeling.

Like when Rudy finally gets on the field (sorry, I'm like Abed with references to reality)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI63g64kDgY

Comment

I do believe your crop has come in, farmer!
                    "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

Working...
                    X