Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2017, 06:11 AM   #11
tshep72
User

Default Re: Inktip Lead

I know this is an old thread, but thought I'd share an experience I had with Inktip.

It's been a few years since I've subscribed or placed any material, but one short in particular peeked the interest of an "executive at ABC", however it began as, "I have connections at ABC". Said he loved my short and thought it'd make a good series. A couple of months pass and he replies out of the blue that he worked for ABC and had passed it on to some executives. By then I'd of course googled the name since none of his emails appeared to be company emails. He was actually a kid in junior high who made YouTube videos. Don't get me wrong, I am sure there are some very talented young people who make great content and maybe even enjoy a bit of success, however, he unfortunately appeared to fall very short of either.

I emailed Inktip to let them know that he didn't quite seem qualified to be a producer, but got very little in the way of a response. Surely they've managed to stay in biz for some time, so there's got to be some value being offered. I'll just save my money.
tshep72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:07 AM   #12
Joaneasley

I could be mistaken, but I think Inktip now may let you pay to join immediately if you want to follow a lead. And I don't think it is possible to have someone give you a code anymore.
Joaneasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 11:34 AM   #13
socalwriter1
Regular

Joan is correct... actually even all of the old remarks are correct.

If you join, you can ask for past leads and they are nice enough to give them to you... they did for me last year. And the response has to be linked to your email so you can't just use a code by itself.

But their leads tend to be with smaller producers and they do appear more than once or twice or...

But a lead is a lead and while I've passed on some of them even though I had something that fit what they were looking for doesn't mean it might not be attractive to you.
socalwriter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 12:53 PM   #14
ShakeyAnderson
New User

I've had various "successes" with InkTip. An earlier post mentioned a junior high kid...which reminds me of a story:

Once upon a time I responded to a lead looking for Crime Dramas and the "Producer" was very interested. Enough that they wanted to talk to me over the phone. I obliged, and we had what I thought was a pretty good conversation until our connection was interrupted. I called back and got...

...the "producer's" dad.

Who promptly handed the phone to his son, who sounded flustered and brought the conversation to an end. Upon looking him up via IMDB Pro I learn that he was 19, still in film school, and had next to no credits.

Needless to say, despite his professed interest, I never heard from him again. I postulate the embarrassment was a bit much for him since the Dad didn't seem to know what his son was doing while bringing the phone to his room etc.

I have since optioned that screenplay with another company and am engaged in the protracted waiting game of financing.

That's one of my many InkTip stories.
ShakeyAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 12:23 PM   #15
catcon

With all the other threads and topics complaining about the costs of intermediaries and services and consultants, I thought I'd post the link to the free InkTip Newsletter (two leads per week, free):

https://www.inktip.com/newsletter_writers.php

I'm not bothered by the general negativity of this thread, about InkTip. I've not had an option (yet) but then I don't respond to everything I see there. After all, everyone will do their due diligence with any lead we decide to pursue, right? Some of them are worthwhile, and listed at $5M-$10M budgets, though of course those are rare. I'd say the average is about a mill. But once you enter the code from the newsletter, you get in to the detail and from there can LinkedIn/IMDBpro/Google the producer's backgrounds. It should be pretty clear when you're actually dealing with a "19-year-old producer, with a cranky dad" or somebody with credits (eg. Nasser).

And it's free, for heaven's sake, so nobody can complain.
catcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 01:43 PM   #16
catcon

I shouldn't have been surprised that they had one, but today I found Inktip's FB page.

I only scrolled down through June/18, but they did have 5 or 6 freely-open leads where anybody can enter the code provided and make a submission. FREE:

https://www.facebook.com/InkTip

Maybe worthwhile for those who're bored, or having a down day as they wait around for responses to cold queries elsewhere, or for feedback on past meetings.
catcon is offline   Reply With Quote