Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Screenplays. One Blacklist Reader

I have two screenplays up on the BL and both were clearly reviewed by the same reader. I thought this was funny enough to share, even if it's a little irritating:

From the review for Script 1:
    The writing is excellent - it's clear that the writer has genuine talent, good instincts, and a distinct point of view, as all three shine through on every page. Even the action lines have an almost spartan sense of style that adds plenty of texture to the read while still remaining succinct, working in tandem with the organic dialogue to create a taut, engaging read… Centering the piece on a female protagonist is easily the script's greatest selling point; as Hollywood becomes more and more aware of the importance of on-screen representation, executives are actively seeking out scripts across genres featuring strong, leading roles for women.

From the review for Script 2:
    The writing itself is very strong - it's clear that the writer has genuine talent, a distinct point of view, and great instincts, as all three shine through on every page. Even the action lines have a rare sense of style that adds texture to the read, working in tandem with the organic dialogue to create a taut, engaging piece. Peppering the cast with so many female characters is easily the script's greatest selling point; as Hollywood becomes more and more aware of the importance of on-screen representation, executives are actively seeking out scripts across genres featuring leading roles for women.

(Most of the characters in Script 2, including 5 of the 9 main characters, are male).

Re: Two Screenplays. One Blacklist Reader.

If you send this to Franklin with a complaint you will almost certainly get an additional review for free. Just fyi.
    Eric
    www.scriptreadguaranteed.com

Comment

Good to know. Thanks.

Comment

wow. that's disappointing, even though the opinion itself might actually be their true thoughts.

can you expand on whether the rest of the two reviews were as similar in content? or did they offer opinions that were distinct and specifically based on each script that show they read, understood and reviewed both scripts as individual pieces?

i guess, i can understand one's need to reuse similar phrasing due to the high volume of reviews they write, but would think they shouldn't be exact duplicates.

what's really interesting is that the reader would not have been privy to the fact that they were given two scripts by the same writer, and had the reader known that fact, would they have copied their own work? i think not. but don't know for certain.
        "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Re: Two Screenplays. One Blacklist Reader

LOL, same thing happened to me. I got a review back and then decided I'd peruse other scripts listed on the site. I was reading someone else's review when I came across identical language that was used in my review. Since then, I've noticed that same language (or at least very similar language) in at least 20 other reviews.

They obviously use a template or draw from a pool of suggested language to use in their reviews. On the one hand, I suppose I can't begrudge them; why reinvent the wheel for every script, you know? On the other hand, it does come across as a bit lazy and makes you wonder about other aspects of the read and the evaluation.

Comment

I think that the best way to regard the Black List is to see it as an opportunity to have your script seen by someone prominent, if you make a really high score.

The Black List is probably not the best way to get helpful feedback. At least, that is my opinion after reading lots of comments through the years.

On the other hand, some services will offer a good analysis of your script. I have never used a service, but I have read lots of coverage that Script Mechanic and some others here have provided to our DDP members. I think that some of the people offering services here do a great job.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Not terribly relevant here, but interesting nonetheless:

List of (current) Black List Readers with Profiles on LinkedIn

Currently displaying 30, using the criteria I entered. I think we've always been interested in who these people are, their qualifications, # scripts read (one says 3-5 per day), etc. etc.

Except for the fact that this proves that LinkedIn is pretty awesome, I've no further comment. Peruse list for your own interest or rationale.

Comment

It's common knowledge (over at Stage32 at least) that BL and their "evaluators" are just a moneymaking scam with a high-gloss polish. Their MO is to charge hosting fees plus big bucks a pop give a screenplay an initial middling-high 7-8 score (to hook you), then inform you that the more high scores the better. Paying for more evals always results in a lower aggregate score.

I had to laugh at the tragedy of virtually identical tepid boilerplate evals for two presumably unrelated scripts. The sitch is worse than I had realized. Good luck.
                Persist! Craft improves with every draft.

Comment

I caught this on PBS News Hour a few days ago, in case you didn't know what his particular version of a black list is all about:

Franklin makes it onto PBS

To me? The only one that counts is well-depicted in Cranston's film, Trumbo.

Comment

Originally posted by catcon View Post
                    I caught this on PBS News Hour a few days ago, in case you didn't know what his particular version of a black list is all about:

Franklin makes it onto PBS

To me? The only one that counts is well-depicted in Cranston's film, Trumbo.
                    pretty good.
                    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Working...
                    X