Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2019, 03:43 PM   #1
MargoChanning

Default Burning Question

Hey, all. Hope you're well.

What I need to know: If a script has been previously optioned, does that make it less attractive to producers? Or, perhaps, more so?

I have a call with a development exec and I don't know if I should mention it, or not. The option ran out for two reasons: The guy was a flake and also, he decided to take his company in a "truth-based" direction.

There was no rancor, nothing like that. I own the rights to the script.

Please tell me what you think.

As always, thanks very much.
MargoChanning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 06:48 PM   #2
Bono

Default Re: Burning Question

If the relationship is over, I wouldn't mention it. I had an option with a producer who did movies people heard of -- so I used his interest to attract managers and agents to read our script. But you're already got interest from this person, so you don't really need it.

So if it was optioned by Disney, I think that's great to mention when trying to get people interested in reading it. If it was optioned by Producer X who has no movies anyone heard of -- I don't think it helps at all.

Some people want to be the person to discover new fresh work, so some of them hearing it's been option means to them it's old and done. Even if you only showed it to that 1 other person.

There are no right answers though. That's what I learned.

What is the meeting with Development Exec about then? They read and liked your script? They want to do something with it or want to hear what else you have? Do you know?
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:06 PM   #3
MargoChanning

Default Re: Burning Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post
If the relationship is over, I wouldn't mention it. I had an option with a producer who did movies people heard of -- so I used his interest to attract managers and agents to read our script. But you're already got interest from this person, so you don't really need it.

So if it was optioned by Disney, I think that's great to mention when trying to get people interested in reading it. If it was optioned by Producer X who has no movies anyone heard of -- I don't think it helps at all.

Some people want to be the person to discover new fresh work, so some of them hearing it's been option means to them it's old and done. Even if you only showed it to that 1 other person.

There are no right answers though. That's what I learned.

What is the meeting with Development Exec about then? They read and liked your script? They want to do something with it or want to hear what else you have? Do you know?
Hi Bono. Thanks. Actually, the guy I referenced EP’d an Oscar-winning film. That said, he was a “my way or the highway” type of dude. My deal was utter crap. I have an attorney in L.A., but entertainment is not his thing. He did the best he could.

All I did was query the guy. He liked the premise and asked me to call so we can discuss. We have a “geographic connection,” which got his attention.

I don’t think I’ll offer up any info that isn’t asked for. No doubt, I’ll get the question about financing. We’ll see.
MargoChanning is offline   Reply With Quote