No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open source software for screenwriters

Hi everybody!

I am the developer of Open Source software for screenwriters KIT Scenarist (https://kitscenarist.ru/en/index.html). For a long time (more than 2 years), application was aimed mainly at users of Russia and the CIS, but in latter days increasingly get requests for its adaptation for world standards.

I want to share my project with you. Maybe someone will find it interesting or even useful.

Today application contains 3 main module:
    • Research - for collecting all materials about project;
    • Script - screenplay editor;
    • Statistics - production reports and plots.
    In the near future I plan to implement many things that are very important in the world, but not in great demand in Russia, such as corkboard, automatic text correntions on the page breaks (CONT'D), fixing pages and scenes numbers and many other things.

If the project is interesting for you and you decide to try it, I'll be glad to hear your opinion about it. Maybe you will have suggestions for improvement, or just want to express your opinion, then happy to hear you.

Thank you!
    Last edited by dimkanovikov; 10-28-2016, 02:38 PM.
    Developer of the Free and Open Source screenwriting software KIT Scenarist

Re: Open source software for screenwriters

Hey! I implemented corkboard in KIT Scenarist. It's available in beta-version 0.7.0. If you want to try it - just download app from website and do that

Comment

Hi, guys! I published a new beta version KIT Scenarist 0.7.0 beta 3. It includes Trelby import, updated Final Draft templates and other improvements.

Comment

Hi everybody!

Fresh beta version of app is ready! There is KIT Scenarist 0.7.0 beta 4. It includes fixes of bugs funded in past two weeks:
        - greatly improved folders and scenes groups feature;
        - context menu for cards and for navigator now has an action for transformation scenes to folder or scenes group and vice versa;
        - fixed bug with saving order of recent projects;
        - fixed bug with renaming characters and locations in some cases.

Currently this is most stable beta in 0.7.0 branch. And if we'll don't find new critical bugs in next week, I will move it to stable release.

With new release I want to share my development plans. There will be many interesting things. I'm really want to share it right now, but better we'll wait next stabilization

I wish you all a good day and sunny mood!

Comment

Hello my friends!

We have some delay with moving to stable release. That is because was found some errors which make crash the Windows version of application.

And we release new KIT Scenarist version 0.7.0 beta 5.

Windows unlike Mac OS X or Linux don't provide way to access to details information about application state on crash moment and I integrated crash handler module to application itself. Now when application starts after crash you will can send error report. Please don't ignore this reports, if we'll can collect many reports we'll have great possibility to fix all errors that makes crashes. In additional to report please write what actions was lead to crash, there is special fields in report dialog for this.

I hope now we can collect enough information about errors and make application more and more stable.

Have a good day!

Comment

Hello everybody!

Thank you very much for the reports and feedback on errors! After processing all of the data I was able to fix a number of bugs that led to the crash of the program, namely:

- fixed an issue when saving a new character/location;
            - fixed a problem with the backup creating;
            - fixed an issue with update projects from version 0.5.9.

Thanks again guys! Thanks to you program each time gets better!

Comment

Hello friends!

So we went together another year. It was an interesting year, complex and rich in different events. And I want to finish it with a good news - today comes stable version 0.7.0 KIT Scenarist! After the release of the previous beta we didn't noticed any critical bugs, so we move it in a stable status. You can read about all innovations of version 0.7.0 in links: beta 1, beta 2, beta 3, beta 4, beta 5 and beta 6.

I hope you all liked the way we passed the previous year. We have grown strongly and now want to set even more ambitious and exciting goals for the next year. I have a very long wanted to share them, and now I'm ready to do it!

What awaits us in 2017!?

Next year, I will continue to develop our program, it also will remain free and open to everyone, but other than that, I want to develop more services that will be paid. These will include cloud services and mobile applications. So, let's look at the detail plan in 2017:

0.7.0 Cloud - in January, I am planning to start closed beta testing of cloud service. It will include collaborate writing of script and store your scripts in cloud, but you always can work with it in offline mode.

0.7.1 Research - then there will be a renewed version of the research module. I plan to move the characters and locations in the research, improve the work with them, their storage, implement the ability of data filtering, adding new kinds of materials and many other improvements.

0.7.1 Cloud and mobile versions - then, as planned cloud version of software for public testing is to be published. Also I plan to release mobile versions for iOS and Android devices. Mobile apps at this stage will include only a text editor and will only work with local files.

0.7.2 Cards - then I want to release a version, which will be rethought card module. Now work with the cards get a few tricky and I already have some ideas on this unit, but so far they have a little lie down for better implementation.

0.7.3. Cloud - then the cloud service will include synchronization of cards, and we will move it to the battle mode.

0.7.4 Script Editor - the next version will include a number of global improvements of the module with the text script. It will improved templates system, allowing you to create more flexible templates, such as plays or comic books, it will be implemented features such as automatic corrections of the text on the page breaks, blocking the scene number, bookmarks and much more.

0.7.4 Mobile and cloud with cards - and then released a mobile application that will support the ability to work with the cards and synchronize with the cloud service.

0.7.5 Statistics - and finish in 2017 will be updated with improved statistics module.

But beginning in 2018 should be very hot and like to see it greeted us with version 0.8.0, which will be available the opportunity to work with several series in one project.

There are the our plans

I want to thank everyone for your support, for your comments, for what you share error detection and help fix them. Thanks to everyone who in one way or another involved in the life of the project in the past year! And if you are still interested, then stay with us, together will surely be fun!

On a personal note I want to wish all of us to be a little kinder to the next year to write the good and honest stories, stories that I would like to watch with children! I do not know what sort of trends in the industry, but I personally would like to see in the coming year there were more family, kind and pure cinema that is through laughter and tears would be cleansed hearts of the audience, thought-provoking and become all of us better! Thank you!

Happy New Year!

Comment

Hey hey hey! Hi everybody!

I wish for a long time to make short video with overview of basic KIT Scenarist features and now I do it! In this video you can watch on the current evolution step of my just4fun project! Enjoy watching guys!

And of course, do not forget to share this video with friends and acquaintances! Suddenly, someone has not heard of us!

Go! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg-BLExGWzE

Comment

Hi guys!

We will start closed beta-test of cloud service 14 January. An if someone want connect to us you can do it, just send message "I want to take part in closed beta-test of cloud service" from feedback form https://kitscenarist.ru/en/contacts.html and we will open for you all capabilities of cloud service and will send beta-version of app to work with cloud.

What cloud service will give to you?
                  - in cloud you will have 2 gigabytes for store self projects (in middle one project of full-length film without multimedia content occupies about 20 megabytes);
                  - you will can collaborate with your cowriter in realtime;
                  - you will can work with cloud project without active internet connection (all changes will be saved directly after network will active again).

Beta-test will last until February 14, during this time I plan to close all bugs related to cloud service and will publish the stable version. And from 14 February all users of cloud version will have one free month of using it.

Thanks! Have a good day!

Comment

Hi, guys!

Today we are started closed beta-test of the cloud service. I think that we will fix all troubles detected in beta-test in next month and beta-test will moved from closed to open.

Anyone who has had time to apply for participation in the closed testing during the day will be sent an email with further instructions.

It was a long way. It starts about 2 years ago and I very happy that the last summer one guy was connected to project and helps me to go forward without looking back when I was exhausted. And I with a big pleasure want to tell about him!

In spring's end I think: it will be cool if other developer connects to project! And I posted message with this idea to different forums and resources. Guys was looked at the project, said: "Good job!" and nothing more...

When I was not expecting anything, I got a message from Alexey: "Hi! I saw your message about you search developers at linux.org.ru. Is actual yet?". I remember - when I found this post I was jumping with excitement to the ceiling!

We discussed our collaboration. Alexey told about his experience (he is a student in MSU and has some experience with all required systems). I decided that this is enough, the main thing that he have interest and desire to grow. And we started our collaboration.

To this moment I had experience of managing small development teams and it was not so exciting... Often I had to motivate people to do something but they didn't want to do anything. This is quite different. Alex is not very experienced, of course he makes mistakes, but he is not ashamed of them, he is normal to accepts criticism and accepts it with pleasure. He takes the initiative, arguing (respect!), and of course brings a fresh wind. It is very valuable for me. This is a new milestone in the evolution of the project and in my own professional growth too (I think that for Alexey this is useful experience too).

While we warmed up on simple tasks, it turned out that Alex likes to develop things related to network technologies. I suggested that he take up the part of the cloud service, and he agreed. And so we gradually, brick by brick have redesigned cloud service. And now it had improved considerably and is ready for the first test, because of this I want to say thank you, Alex! From the heart!

So, our gang became larger and the project became a much better!

Finally, I've prepared a video about how to use cloud service in the program. I decided, that I will make a video overview for every program update that includes new features. I think, it will be helpful.

Enjoy watching and be ready to start public testing! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeyJQOL8a9w

Comment

Originally posted by dimkanovikov View Post
                      Hi, guys!

Enjoy watching and be ready to start public testing! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeyJQOL8a9w
                      Just trying this out now. You might get more response if you post an announcement about Kit Scenarist at this Done Deal Forum instead ...

http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...splay.php?f=21

That's where they unusually talk about screenplay software. I use Linux Mint and -- once I loaded the extra files -- it worked fine. My only issue so far is that, when I do a print preview, Scenarist cuts off the top of my text. It exported fine to Fade In Pro and Trelby, so it's just the printing module that has the issue (I think). I'll keep testing and give another report in a week or so. So far I'm impressed. Thanks.

EDIT: Okay, I figured it out. You have to hit the "Review" icon and all is good with Print Preview. Impressive software. Will continue to test it and will probably write a "mini-review" at the Software forum (above).
                      Last edited by Centos; 01-21-2017, 07:46 PM. Reason: More information about Kit Scenarist
                      STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

Comment

Centos, thank you for feedback! I tried to post to that thread, but forum administrator moved my topic to promotion... If I can make new post or if you can make post there it would be great!

But now I continue in current topic!

Our friend Pedro Terrero published a video presentation of KIT Scenarist in Spanish! He also made small blog post. If Spanish is your native language or you can read it with the dictionary or with google translate you can read post by link - https://www.creatubers.com/escribe-t...kit-scenarist/

It's great to see how our project is crossing through one more barrier - through language barrier!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWwao1zydHI

Comment

Centos, thank you for feedback! I tried to post to that thread, but forum administrator moved my topic to promotion... If I can make new post or if you can make post there it would be great!
                          That's odd. Fade In Pro and Trelby announcements were listed in that forum(?). At any rate, I've posted a message with a link to this thread and, when I write a "review" (of sorts), I'll post it there.

But now I continue in current topic!

Our friend Pedro Terrero published a video presentation of KIT Scenarist in Spanish! He also made small blog post. If Spanish is your native language or you can read it with the dictionary or with google translate you can read post by link - https://www.creatubers.com/escribe-t...kit-scenarist/

It's great to see how our project is crossing through one more barrier - through language barrier!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWwao1zydHI
                          That's good to hear. So far I can't find any major issues ... one time when I went from dark theme to light theme it crashed, but it had automatically saved my script, so I didn't lose anything (was only testing anyhow).

Out of curiosity, does Scenarist run on java?
                          STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

Comment

Originally posted by Centos View Post
                            I've posted a message with a link to this thread and, when I write a "review" (of sorts), I'll post it there.
                            Thanks a lot!

... one time when I went from dark theme to light theme it crashed
                            I'm sorry for this. The last version is not strongly stable... It has some bugs in cards module which I resolve now.

Out of curiosity, does Scenarist run on java?
                            No, KIT Scenarist is written in C++ with Qt library. Source code available on GitHub by link https://github.com/dimkanovikov/KITScenarist

Comment

No, KIT Scenarist is written in C++ with Qt library. Source code available on GitHub by link https://github.com/dimkanovikov/KITScenarist
                              I'm not a programmer, so I'm sorry about my ignorance. I thought I saw something about java in the libxcb-xinerama0 packageyou instructed us to download. So I must made a poor assumption.

I haven't done much with Scenarist the last few days. But I'll give it a good test soon. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X